NFL Draft Recap: AFC Winners & Losers + Swag vs Flash
On today’s fantasy football podcast, our NFL Draft Recap continues with a breakdown of every AFC team! Andy, Mike, and Jason discuss the biggest winners and losers for fantasy football and which rookies can make an impact in year one! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for May 4th, 2023.
Preorder the 2023 UDK to get the lowest price! UltimateDraftKit.com
Get instant access to Dynasty Pass content with the UDK+
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Podcast introduction 00:00
- The hosts will be discussing AFC winners and losers from a fantasy football perspective
- They encourage viewers to like, comment, and subscribe to their channel
- Introduce themselves and the date of the episode
- Mention that this is show 1400 and discuss the significance of reaching this milestone
- Briefly discuss their interest in Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons
- Talk about the potential dangers of lightsabers
AFC Winners and Losers 03:21
- The hosts discuss AFC winners and losers
- Brooks, the producer, is excited about the segment
- The hosts briefly discuss their own interest in Star Wars
Dynasty podcast and UDK presale 04:16
- The hosts promote their Dynasty podcast and presale for the Ultimate Draft Kit
- They discuss the new rookie mock draft and updated dynasty startup and rookie rankings, including two quarterback rankings for the first time ever
- Brooks is excited about the inclusion of two quarterback rankings, as he has been wanting super flex information for a while
- They also mention the updated dynasty trade targets, rookie risers and fallers
News and notes 07:18
- The hosts discuss a couple of one-year deals, including Jerick McKinnon re-signing with the Chiefs and the Chiefs declining Clyde Edwards-Helaire‘s fifth-year option
- They predict that McKinnon will be an important pass catcher in the Chiefs’ offense
Texans running back situation 14:28
- Despite not adding another running back in the draft, people are claiming that Damian Pierce is a huge winner.
- Devin Singletary was signed by the Texans and he could be more than just an irrelevant backup to Pierce.
- Singletary was a day draft pick and was the starter for a Super Bowl contending team last year, he is a very good running back with over 4200 yards in college.
AFC Winners and Losers 13:19
- In this episode, the Fantasy Footballers discuss the AFC winners and losers of the NFL draft and the fantasy football implications for rookies.
- Rookie landing spot articles are available on their website for quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, and dynasty pass.
- The full rankings, all production profiles, mock draft, risers, and fallers are also available.
- Let’s break it down by teams.
Texans draft picks 13:19
- The Texans made headlines by teasing that they may not take a quarterback in the draft, which Mike didn’t believe.
- They took CJ Stroud as the number two overall pick, Nathaniel Dell as a third-round draft pick wide receiver, and Xavier Hutchinson as another wide receiver in the sixth round.
- The Texans did not add another running back to their team despite many articles claiming that Damian Pierce is a huge winner.
- Devin Singletary was signed by the Texans and could be more than just a backup to Pierce.
Lions internal dialogue on Jared Goff contract extension 09:51
- The Lions general manager Brad Holm said that the team has had internal dialogue about a contract extension for Jared Goff.
- It’s not surprising, but it’s not a good move either, especially since they just drafted Hinden Hooker.
- They have time to see how Jared Goff and Hinden Hooker perform before deciding on a contract extension.
Randall Cobb and Aaron Rodgers 08:40
- Randall Cobb signed a one-year deal with the Green Bay Packers.
- There are rumors that Aaron Rodgers asked that Cobb be on the team.
- Cobb may be getting some extra years out of his career solely because of his relationship with Aaron Rodgers.
Buffalo Bills‘ Running Back Situation 15:28
- Damian Pierce and Devin Singletary are both winners after the draft.
- Although the Bills did not draft a running back, people seem to have forgotten about Singletary.
- Pierce’s talent and ability were on display last year, and he will likely be undervalued in fantasy football.
- Singletary’s presence does not necessarily mean the death knell for Pierce’s fantasy value.
Impact of CJ Stroud in Year One 16:53
- CJ Stroud will have very little impact in his first year due to the depth chart not being set up for success.
- The starters are currently Nico Collins, Robert Woods, and the hopeful return of John Mechie, who was drafted in the second round last year but missed the entire season battling leukemia.
- Nathaniel “Tank” Dell, who was drafted in the third round, is also an interesting option to keep an eye on.
Anthony Richardson‘s Draft and Josh Downs‘ Landing Spot 19:02
- The Vic Holtz drafted Anthony Richardson with the fourth pick in the draft, and the team believed he could be a home run.
- Josh Downs had good value in the draft, but many teams disagreed with the fantasy community’s value of him.
- Downs’ landing spot with the Colts is good from a depth chart perspective, and he could potentially be a long-term option for the team.
Anthony Richardson and the Indianapolis Colts offense 22:11
- There is potential for improvement across the board in the Indianapolis Colts offense because of the presence of Anthony Richardson.
- Richardson has a good chance of starting week one over Gardner Minshew, who is not as flashy as Richardson but has swag.
- Richardson’s talent gives him an advantage over Minshew and makes him a good NFL and fantasy quarterback.
- Alex Pierce is a loser from this draft because Isaiah McKenzie was a free agent ad and will be the slot. They also drafted Josh Downs with significant draft capital.
Evan Hull and the Tennessee Titans 24:17
- Evan Hull out of Northwestern running back has a calling card in the receiving game with a 22% reception share at the running back position.
- The Tennessee Titans go with Will Levis in the second round of the draft and have Tylan Berks, Kyle Phillips, Chigga Conquoy, Westbrook Kenyanya, and a poor wide receiver depth chart.
- Ryan Tannehill will likely be the starter barring a trade, but there is momentum that they may run the team back a bit before making moves.
- Traylon Burks and Chigga Conquoy come out as winners in this draft because there is no competition that was drafted to challenge them. If Tannehill stays, Traylon Burks will be a top target, and Chigga Conquoy will have an opportunity to extend the field at the tight end position in year two.
Spears and Haskins 28:42
- Spears is a good pick out of Tulane, and his tape looks interesting, but he is not Derek Henry.
- He will likely move up very quickly to be the backup.
- Hassan Haskins, unfortunately, has a championship, but his career is over before it started.
- There are medical reports that Spears might have a bum knee and arthritic knee that will limit his time in the NFL, but his knee will probably hold up for a contract.
AFC South Recap 29:25
- Jacksonville Jaguars spent third-round draft pick on running back Tank Bigsby and second-rounder on tight end Britain Strange.
- Talks about extending Revenue from.
- No clear winners or losers in Jacksonville, third-round draft capital on Tank Bigsby not expected to impact the view of Travis Etienne and any more than Jim Michael Hasty did.
- Running back Tank Bigsby is a solid bag, weighs 210 pounds and has nice one-cut ability.
- Head coach talked about employing more of a committee and needing to get more bodies in there.
- Ernest Johnson was signed to get more bodies in there, but Travis E.T. is the main dynasty league running back.
- Concerns about the split workload with Tank Bigsby.
- Coach has talked about using a committee, and Travis Etienne. and is a very special player, but there is concern about the timeshare changing.
- E.T. and played only 8% of snaps after the bye week and had an injury issue at the end of the year.
- Not concerned about trading Travis Etienne and yet.
- Third-round and beyond rookies need to prove themselves in camp before worrying about E.T. and too much.
- Dynasty owners are fine with Travis E.T. and, and it is a good time to trade him.
AFC North Recap 33:31
- Cleveland Browns drafted Cedric Tillman, a wide receiver, in the third round.
- Cedric Tillman was drafted to be the number two wide receiver behind Amari Cooper.
- The Browns have a mediocre group of receivers, including Donovan Peoples Jones and David Bell.
- The landing spot is worse or better based on quarterback play rather than depth chart.
- It is a matter of whether you believe in Deshaun Watson‘s talent as a quarterback and whether Cedric Tillman is talented.
Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford 36:00
- Nick Chubb is expected to have a heavy workload this season after the Browns did not draft any competition for him.
- Jerome Ford is a player to pick up in dynasty leagues, as he looks to be the current number two running back for the Browns.
- It’s possible the Browns may still sign Kareem Hunt, which would impact Chubb’s workload.
Steelers draft picks 36:57
- The Steelers didn’t make many notable picks, but they did select Darnell Washington later in the draft.
- While Pat Freiermuth is a highly-ranked tight end in dynasty leagues, Washington’s presence doesn’t impact his long-term value.
- Washington is a giant road-grading blocking tight end who will primarily be used for blocking.
Ravens draft picks 38:31
- The Ravens selected Zay Flowers with their first overall pick, adding to their arsenal of weapons for Lamar Jackson.
- This could impact the value of Rashad Bateman, who was previously recommended as a trade option.
- Lamar Jackson‘s passing yardage has not been high in the past, but with a more stable receiving corps, things could change.
- The wide receiver room is wide open, with no clear number one receiver besides tight end Mark Andrews.
J.K. Dobbins and the Cincinnati Bengals‘ Running Back Situation 42:46
- J.K. Dobbins is a running back for the Baltimore Ravens and has a funny nickname: “J.K. two legs.”
- The Cincinnati Bengals did not draft any running backs, so their current running back situation is J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards.
- The Bengals may need to add a running back in free agency, or Joe Mixon will be their starting running back.
- If Mixon is the starter, then investing in him for best ball or dynasty trades is a good idea.
- Chase Brown is a rookie running back for the Bengals, but he may only be a backup.
- Trayveon Williams is another backup running back for the Bengals that could be worth adding to your dynasty bench.
Irv Smith Jr. and the Minnesota Vikings‘ Tight End Situation 45:27
- Irv Smith Jr. is a tight end for the Minnesota Vikings and was a big winner in the draft.
- The Vikings did not draft any other tight ends, so Smith Jr. is their guy.
- Drew Sample is the backup tight end for the Bengals.
New York Jets Draft Picks 46:27
- The New York Jets drafted one of the better centers in the draft.
- They also drafted another running back, which may put Michael Carter on the outskirts of fantasy relevance.
- The Jets drafted Israel Abanikanda, a running back with great breakaway runs.
- The Jets may have wanted to show more confidence in their current running back room by not drafting another running back.
New England Patriots Draft Picks 48:09
- The New England Patriots drafted a kicker-punter combo in the fourth and sixth rounds.
- Chad Ryland is the kicker-punter combo they drafted.
- K. Sean Bouty was also drafted by the Patriots and is a high-recruit prospect.
New England Patriots‘ Wide Receiver Situation 49:37
- The New England Patriots are good at two things: winning and being a graveyard for wide receivers.
- The landing spot of K. Sean Bouty doesn’t give confidence because Bouty’s development has gone backward since his rookie year at LSU.
- Bouty is a young man who needs attention because of what he has done in the past, but he went to a place that doesn’t develop wide receivers well.
- Ramon Drey Stevenson and Tyquan Thornton are the big winners in this situation, and Thornton is expected to have a huge opportunity this year.
- Jacobi Myers is gone, and they didn’t invest in a wide receiver until seven picks after they took a kicker in the fourth round.
- Devante Parker is still there, but the fact that the Patriots didn’t invest in a running back makes Stevenson’s situation exciting.
Miami Dolphins‘ Draft Pick Devon Hane 51:34
- The Miami Dolphins invested their second pick in the draft in Devon Hane, a tiny, speedy, electric miniature running back.
- Pre-draft, Hane was not believed to find a role that allowed him to be successful at his weight (189 pounds).
- He goes to a picture-perfect landing spot with day two draft capital in a scheme that is a match made in heaven for him.
- Hane’s blazing 4.32 track speed makes him a unique weapon in the Dolphins’ offense.
- It is uncertain how the Dolphins will use him, but he has the potential to be a kick returner, and he may be used in screen games and third down.
- Jeff Wilson and Raheem Mostert will have their roles in the offense, and Hane will have a unique role as well.
Buffalo Bills‘ First Round Draft Pick Dalton Kincaid 54:46
- The Buffalo Bills drafted Dalton Kincaid with their first-round draft pick, and they traded up over a tight end-needy team to get him.
- Kincaid will be a massive weapon for Josh Allen, and he is expected to play wing wide receiver and run routes.
- Gabe Davis and Khalil Shakira are winners because they were not directly replaced with a pass catcher at their exact position in the depth chart.
- Kincaid will not take Gabe Davis off the field, and he will still get targets.
- Historically, rookie tight ends don’t do enough to be great for fantasy, but Kincaid could put up 600-700 yards as a rookie.
New York Jets draft strategy 56:41
- Jets went for the best available athlete instead of forcing a wide receiver pick.
- They drafted a tight end from Utah, which they had discussed earlier in the day if he slips.
Dawson Knox‘s future with the Bills 57:32
- Dawson Knox, the current tight end for the Bills, is considered a loser in this situation as they have drafted a better player.
- They have drafted another tight end who has better dynasty long-term value.
- Knox will still be on the field but may run fewer routes and catch fewer balls.
Denver Broncos draft pick Marvin Mims 58:43
- The Broncos drafted Marvin Mims out of Oklahoma and traded up to get him.
- Mims is the kind of hand-selected first selection by Peyton, which is significant.
- Mims has a fantastic athletic profile and is a good player, but his ceiling for this year is not very high.
- The depth chart will clear the way for Mims in the long term.
Russell Wilson‘s draft pick 01:00:34
- Russell Wilson is a winner from the draft, as the Seahawks got him another water receiver.
Las Vegas Raiders‘ draft picks 01:01:00
- The Raiders invested in a tight end and a wide receiver in the draft.
- They picked Michael Mayer, who was a projected first-round draft pick, and Trey Tucker from Cincinnati.
- Mayer has a clear path as the replacement for Darren Waller.
- Mayer is a good player, but he may not be relevant year one for fantasy purposes.
- With Austin Hooper there, Mayer may not be a 100% snap guy in his rookie year.
Jason’s favorite pick in the entire draft 01:02:34
- Jason’s favorite pick in the entire draft is Quentin Johnston.
- The Chargers drafted Quentin Johnston at number 21 overall.
- Johnston is a mammoth of a man and can out-physical defensive backs.
Quinton Johnston’s Impact on the Chargers 01:03:20
- Rookie wide receivers can make a huge impact in year one, and Quinton Johnston’s landing spot was why this draft was great for fantasy purposes.
- Johnston stabilizes a room that’s got Mike Williams question marks and the age of Keenan Allen and injuries.
- Quinton Johnston just fixed some fears with Justin Herbert‘s season and was a top pick that is going to be a difference-maker in the Chargers’ offense.
- He will catch passes from Justin Herbert and work alongside Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.
- Kellen Moore is the offensive coordinator this year, and he will help figure out how Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Quinton Johnson can all work together.
- Johnston is a thrilling pick for fantasy football.
Kansas City Chiefs Draft Picks 01:06:53
- The Kansas City Chiefs, the defending Super Bowl champions, picked Rishi Rice in the second round, which was a bit surprising considering they had just spent the second round on Skymore and won a Super Bowl with an absence of true wide receiver talent.
- Rishi Rice is a very explosive athlete with really good athleticism, burst, vertical explosiveness, and broad jump.
- Rice’s athleticism is where he will shine, not necessarily with long speed.
- Rice’s statistics in his final season were impressive: 96 receptions for 1,355 yards and 10 touchdowns.
- The Chiefs also picked Isaiah Pacheco in the seventh round, which was a great pick for him considering he will likely be the starting running back again this year.
Rookie Wide Receiver Draft Strategy 01:09:58
- Swinging for home runs and fantasy is what wins.
- Rashid Rice could be a really good possession receiver and a 135 target guy in a couple of years.
- Taking a shot at him having a chance to be the number one wide receiver for Patrick Mahomes.
- Rice was picked at 204, later than expected.
- Passed on Marvin Mims and went with Rice due to Patrick Mahomes and draft capital.
- Rice was not a reach at 204.
Next Week on Fantasy Footballers: Dynasty Week 01:11:18
- Next week will be dedicated to some dynasty content on the fantasy footballers.
- The dynasty show will also be available.
- The mock draft episode is already out and available on Apple, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and wherever you listen.
- The fantasy footballers are here to help you win your league with free content all year long.
- Thank you for listening to another episode of the fantasy footballers podcast.
- Join the fantasy football community on jointhefoot.com and follow them on Twitter at theFFballers.
I just wanted Marvin Mims info. And this took me directly to everything I ever desired. Love you guys