The TRUTH: WRs Part 2 + Start Your Engines!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
What’s the TRUTH about DK Metcalf, Calvin Ridley, and Chris Olave? On today’s fantasy football podcast, a closer look at 2023 performances for wide receivers! Learn the TRUTH behind the fantasy finish, and which players have the chance to take a step forward in 2024! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for February 6th, 2024.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Evaluating Dynasty Quarterbacks 05:01
- Trading quarterbacks in a one-quarterback dynasty league can be challenging due to the rarity of impactful signal-callers on the waiver wire.
- Keeping both Mahomes and Purdy might be wise given the potential for injuries and the scarcity of reliable backup options.
- Consider the trade market carefully before parting ways with a high-value player like Patrick Mahomes in a dynasty league.
“In a one quarterback dynasty league, trading a quarterback is very difficult.”
Deciding on Trading Quarterbacks 06:09
- In a one-quarterback dynasty league, the decision to trade a quarterback should be approached cautiously, with the scarcity of quality backups in mind.
- Patrick Mahomes‘ trade value may not align with his impact on a fantasy roster, making it challenging to receive fair compensation for such a valuable asset.
- Exploring the market for Brock Purdy could be an alternative, especially if a good deal can be struck for a less heralded backup and additional assets.
“My answer would be probably not.”
Considering the Trade Market 07:33
- Evaluating the trade market’s perception and demands is crucial when contemplating trading quarterbacks in a dynasty league.
- The disparity in trade value between established quarterbacks like Mahomes and younger prospects like Purdy can influence the decision-making process.
- Opting to move Purdy, who may have a peak value due to his potential, could allow for acquiring a different asset to bolster the team.
“I would try to trade Brock Purdy.”
Trading Strategies and Player Valuation 08:32
- Evaluating trade opportunities requires considering the needs of other teams in the league who may lack a starting quarterback, presenting an opportunity to trade players like Brock Purdy for positional upgrades.
- The dynamics of quarterback scarcity in fantasy football leagues can drive the value of players like Brock Purdy, especially if targeting teams with quarterback deficiencies for potential trades.
“You’re finding the team that doesn’t have a quarterback.”
Potential Trades and Player Comparison 09:19
- A discussion ensues about the trade value of Brock Purdy in exchange for quarterbacks like Baker Mayfield and Trevor Lawrence, highlighting differing perspectives on player worth and long-term potential.
- The debate touches on the trade-offs between established players like Brock Purdy and high-upside prospects like Trevor Lawrence when considering future team composition and strategic player acquisitions.
“I would rather have Trevor Lawrence.”
Maximizing Player Value and Future Outlook 11:58
- The importance of long-term planning and maximizing player value is stressed, particularly regarding elite players like Patrick Mahomes, where timing trade opportunities can yield significant returns based on performance fluctuations and market demand.
- Patiently waiting for peak trade moments for high-caliber players like Patrick Mahomes can lead to acquiring valuable assets for future team success in fantasy football.
“Wait for another outstanding season and then you can get a haul.”
Davante Adams vs. Jakobi Meyers Comparison 15:47
- Devonte Adams, drafted as the 8th wide receiver, finished at 11 with a consistency rank of 25, facing challenges in the first half of the season.
- Jacobi Myers, surprisingly consistent with a rank of 20, finished at 24 despite being a late-round pick, showing more stability throughout the year.
“Jacobi Myers had a consistency rank of 20, whereas Adams was 25, showcasing the significant gap in consistency despite their draft positions.”
Davante Adams‘s Performance and Future Outlook 16:14
- Adams faced a tumultuous year, not meeting the expectations set as the 8th wide receiver but still maintaining his fantasy relevance.
- Though not classified as a bust, Adams’ performance was disappointing due to inconsistent quarterback play impacting his numbers.
- The age factor at 31 and the lack of consistent quarterback support raise concerns about Adams’ future fantasy value.
- Adams’ catch percentage decline in Las Vegas highlights the strong impact of the quarterback situation on his performance.
“It was a roller coaster year for Devonte Adams, displaying flashes of his usual brilliance but ultimately falling short of expectations due to quarterback inconsistencies.”
Potential Upside with Coaching Changes for Devonte Adams 22:10
- The coaching change in Week 9 seemed to positively affect Adams, showing a potential spike in targets and production under new coaching leadership.
- Pierce taking over as head coach led to a notable increase in Adams’ targets, receptions, yards, and touchdowns, suggesting a brighter fantasy outlook with coaching stability.
“With the coaching change in Week 9, Adams showed promising statistics, hinting at a potential resurgence in production under new coaching guidance.”
Comparison between Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk 23:43
- Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk both had similar percentages of great games, with 21% for Samuel and 20% for Aiyuk.
- In terms of consistency, Aiyuk ranked two spots better than Samuel, finishing at number six compared to Samuel’s number eight.
- Despite their differences, both players provided value to fantasy football managers who drafted them.
- Samuel, drafted late in the third round, offered value, while Aiyuk, drafted in the sixth, proved to be the better pick.
If you drafted either player, you were thrilled. You got a value, right? Late third for Deebo, super value for Aiyuk in the six. Yeah, Aiyuk was definitely the better pick.
Ja’Marr Chase‘s Challenging Season 31:08
- Jomar Chase faced challenges in 2024 due to a struggling Joe Burrow, leading to a lack of fantasy points and potential hesitancy in drafting him next season.
- Despite a tough year, the return of Joe Burrow could significantly impact Chase’s performance in the upcoming season.
- Chase’s talent and potential are undeniable, but the quarterback situation affected his output.
Jomar Chase, I think there will be some people that are very, like, they’re biting their nails when they have to draft Jomar Chase next year.
Impact of Backup Quarterbacks on Jomar Chase 32:17
- Jomar Chase’s performance may have been hindered by backup quarterbacks, affecting his numbers and fantasy output.
- Despite these challenges, there is belief in Chase’s talent and his potential among other elite wide receivers in the league.
It’s his highs are so high. Like it’s a, when Jomar Chase hits, it’s a week that is like you could have benched the rest of your team and maybe still won.
Michael Pittman‘s Draft Value 38:10
- Michael Pittman might not be overdrafted, but he could be selected near his ceiling due to being the primary focus in the Colts’ receiving corps, ensuring a high floor with potential.
- The Colts are likely to retain Pittman, given his crucial role and lack of solid alternatives in their offense.
“I think Pittman is excruciatingly consistent, but I also think that you probably have enough with somebody else.”
Colts’ Potential Path Without Michael Pittman 39:05
- In a scenario where the Colts decide not to pay Pittman, they could rely on rookie Josh Downs, numerous tight ends, and perhaps prioritize other wide receivers to fill the void.
- This strategy, though not improbable, may pose risks despite Pittman’s consistency and potential alternatives on the roster.
“You can come in here and say, ‘Hey, I’ve got Josh Downs, I’ve got these tight ends, I’ve got Anthony Richardson, and I’m going to draft one of these electric wide receivers and not pay Michael Pittman because somebody wants to offer him a big old check.”
Evaluation of DK Metcalf‘s Season 41:14
- DK Metcalf finished the year as WR16, yet his year felt lacking in impact due to inconsistent performances, highlighting the impact of quarterback woes and changing defensive strategies.
- With a new coaching staff in Seattle and uncertainties about the quarterback situation, Metcalf’s future fantasy value remains unpredictable.
“In some ways I feel like DK Metcalf was just like a mist, a ghost. A memory. Now I remember him.”
DK Metcalf‘s Potential Slip in Draft Position 45:44
- The analysts speculate that DK Metcalf may drop in next year’s draft due to his past performance and public perception.
- Comparing him to Mike Evans‘ fall in the previous off-season, they predict a similar trend for Metcalf.
- Despite being a physical specimen, Metcalf’s lackluster performance this year may impact his draft standing.
“The truth about DK Metcalf is he did not really help you this year. … He didn’t really help.”
Disappointing Performance of Calvin Ridley 46:57
- Calvin Ridley‘s season is characterized as a disappointment with inconsistent play and a high bust rate.
- Despite being hyped in the off-season, Ridley failed to deliver, finishing where he was drafted but lacking significant impact.
- His struggles against top defenses contrasted starkly with better performances against weaker opponents.
“Every beat reporter was talking about how Calvin Ridley is the best wide receiver they’ve ever seen… We got had. It was not a good fun experience.”
Calvin Ridley‘s Future Uncertainty 49:44
- With possible disappointment from the Jacksonville side and Ridley’s impending free agency, his future team and salary remain uncertain.
- The inconsistencies in Ridley’s play raise questions about his role as a top receiver and potential contract demands.
- He could end up on a struggling team seeking a primary receiving option, creating an intriguing storyline for the upcoming season.
“He seems like the prime candidate to end up on a bad franchise as the best option… That’ll be a very interesting topic.”
Amari Cooper and Quarterback Play 52:56
- Amari Cooper proved his worth despite being traded away by the Cowboys, showing dominant receiver skills but lacked good quarterback play.
- Cooper’s production without DeSean Watson suggests he performs better without him in terms of targets, receptions, touchdowns, and yardage.
- Statistically, with Watson, Cooper could potentially have a valuable fantasy season, though his draft position might not significantly rise from the WR19 spot.
Amari Cooper proved this last year that he still has it, looking like a dominant wide receiver, despite the poor quarterback play.
Chris Olave and Potential Upside 55:08
- Chris Olave, though drafted at the top of the third round, showed consistency and potential as the primary receiver for the Saints.
- Clint Kubiak’s arrival as offensive coordinator in New Orleans may impact Olave’s performance positively, given Kubiak’s experience.
- Olave’s expected role as the primary target in the offense could lead to improved fantasy output if he can establish a stronger connection with Derek Carr.
Chris Olave established himself as the primary receiver, but he lacked the explosive games that could boost fantasy success.
Jordan Addison and Kirk Cousins Impact 59:12
- Justin Jefferson‘s return to health will influence Jordan Addison‘s performance as they share the field, potentially affecting Addison’s fantasy output.
- Addison’s decline in consistency from the first half to the second half of the season raises questions about his production, especially with uncertainties surrounding Kirk Cousins‘ future in the Vikings.
Wide Receiver Analysis 59:59
- Addison’s draft position is uncertain due to past quarterback issues affecting his performance, but potential improvement under a solid quarterback like Cousins could boost his value.
- Concerns linger over Wilson’s disappointing season, reflecting struggles due to poor quarterback play and an Achilles’ injury affecting Aaron Rodgers.
- The comparison with Deandre Hopkins serves as a reminder that talented receivers can overcome rough starts to excel with better support.
- Jaylen Waddle faced consistency issues, hampering his performance, with hopes for improvement if he can transition into a more stable role akin to top receivers like Hopkins and Julio Jones.
“I’m just a little bit afraid… I’m afraid it might go bad in New York again real quickly.”
Analysis of WR Performance 01:07:16
- Comparing receivers and their performance, especially in relation to targets and stats, can reveal interesting insights about their consistency and potential in fantasy football.
- The discussion on the variation in player performance, such as wide receivers catching varying numbers of passes and the impact on their overall output, highlights the complexity of evaluating players in fantasy football.
- Referencing specific players like Tyreek Hill and Brandon IUK helps in illustrating the points made regarding player performance and consistency.
It almost felt like calling Tyreek just a one was insulting.
Importance of Consistency in Fantasy Football 01:08:02
- The conversation stresses the significance of consistency in fantasy football, particularly when analyzing players who receive around 80 or fewer receptions.
- Players like Brandon IUK who exhibit consistency despite fluctuating stats are seen as exceptions to the norm, highlighting the challenges of predicting player performance solely based on previous statistics.
- The cautionary tale provided underscores the unpredictability that can arise when expecting consistency from players with limited receptions.
Is that a cautionary tale?
Preview of Upcoming Episodes 01:08:33
- The mention of future episodes focusing on rookie wide receivers such as Jayden Reed, Rashi Rice, Zay Flowers, and Tank Dale builds anticipation for in-depth analyses of emerging talents.
- Teasing the review of the tight end position and the possibility of discussing standout players like Brock Bowers intrigues listeners and keeps them engaged with upcoming content.
- Providing a roadmap for what to expect in future episodes creates a sense of anticipation and excitement among the audience.
Big names you want to hear about.