WR Rankings Countdown: 20-11
Get notifications when new episodes are released
The countdown begins! We dive into WR rankings on today’s fantasy football podcast! Who is the biggest risk/reward player of the 2023 season? Find out which players Andy, Mike, and Jason disagree on the most! Plus, NFL News and a new edition of Best Ball Breakdown! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for August 3rd, 2023.
Dive into the 2023 Ultimate Draft Kit + Draft Analyzer! UltimateDraftKit.com
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Best Ball Breakdown presented by Underdog Fantasy. Visit https://underdogfantasy.com/
Preseason Football and Fantasy Football Drafts 00:00
- Preseason football is here and it’s time to prepare for fantasy football drafts.
- The Ultimate Draft Kit (UDK) at ultimatedraftkit.com offers projections, sleepers, breakouts, busts, and values.
“Head over to ultimatedraftkit.com, pick up your UDK, our full projections, sleepers, breakouts, busts, values, and this thing will be updating all until the NFL kickoff on that big Thursday.”
Backup Football 00:44
- The hosts mention that it’s backup football time.
- The reference is lighthearted, as backup players usually get more playing time in preseason games.
“It’s backup football time. Oh, no. You know what? I’m happy you did that.”
Jets’ Quarterback Situation and Leadership 02:18
- One host praises Jets quarterback Zach Wilson for his leadership qualities and positive attitude.
- They mention the comparisons between Wilson joining the team as a replacement and the situation with the Denver Broncos.
- Another host expresses optimism about the Jets’ chances this year.
“He’s the replacement. He’s coming in to replace who was the starter versus them drafting someone to replace him. So you would expect him to have a better attitude in this situation.” “I’m impressed with [Aaron Rodgers‘] turning over a new leaf in these gray-beard days that I think I’m impressed with. I think he’s been a great leader for the Jets.”
Wide Receiver Rankings Show and Ultimate Draft Kit 02:05
- The hosts announce that in the episode they will be discussing the wide receiver rankings countdown.
- They mention the availability of the Ultimate Draft Kit, which is continually updated.
“We got news. We got the wide receiver rankings countdown.” “The Ultimate Draft Kit available right now being updated every day.”
Fantasy Football Leagues and Premium Perks 07:05
- The hosts promote their community, jointhefoot.com, which offers access to a premium Discord server, finding Foot Clan leagues, and extra episodes of the show.
- They mention it’s a great time to join or start a league and find new players.
“The community is jointhefoot.com that gets you access to our premium Discord server where you can find Foot Clan leagues.” “You can find an extra episode of the show every week and a lot of premium perks that will go on to the regular season.”
NFL News and Notes 07:25
- The hosts mention the Jets vs. Browns preseason game tonight.
- They briefly touch on news and speculation regarding players like JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards.
“News and notes from around the league. Presented by USAA Insurance.” “Alright, Jets Browns tonight. Few pieces of news or hype or speculation we can talk about.”
- One host mentions bumping up Najee Harris and Alexander Madison in their rankings.
- They discuss factors like volume and effectiveness that influenced their decision.
“It’s bumping up Najee Harris and Alexander Madison at my rankings.” “Just out of researching the Steelers camp, dependency on the run, you know, just giving them a little bit more volume, maybe a little more effectiveness.” “This morning Najee Harris got a little bump.”
“Head over to ultimatedraftkit.com, pick up your UDK, our full projections, sleepers, breakouts, busts, values, and this thing will be updating all until the NFL kickoff on that big Thursday.” “It’s backup football time.” “Zach Wilson starts tonight. That’s good football. I mean, good TV.” “He’s the replacement. He’s coming in to replace who was the starter versus them drafting someone to replace him. So you would expect him to have a better attitude in this situation.” “I’m impressed with [Aaron Rodgers‘] turning over a new leaf in these gray-beard days that I think I’m impressed with. I think he’s been a great leader for the Jets.” “We got news. We got the wide receiver rankings countdown.” “The Ultimate Draft Kit available right now being updated every day.” “The community is jointhefoot.com that gets you access to our premium Discord server where you can find Foot Clan leagues.” “It’s bumping up Najee Harris and Alexander Madison at my rankings.” “Just out of researching the Steelers camp, dependency on the run, you know, just giving them a little bit more volume, maybe a little more effectiveness.” “This morning Najee Harris got a little bump.”
Gus Edwards‘ Potential in the Ravens’ Offense 08:28
- Gus Edwards appears healthy and ready to contribute to the Ravens’ offense.
- He is a valuable stash in deeper leagues and should be on fantasy managers’ radar.
- If JK Dobbins were to struggle or get injured, Gus Edwards would likely be the next in line to step up.
- The excitement surrounding the Ravens’ offense would carry over to Gus Edwards.
“So I think that he is someone who, like, if you’re in a deeper league, he should be on your radar as just a stash on a big bench.”
Historical Trends of Injured Players and Their ADP Value 09:05
- Historically, players who get injured in training camp do not usually meet their ADP (Average Draft Position) value.
- Fantasy managers should be cautious about buying into the hype surrounding injured players.
“And Matthew Best talked about the fact that players that get injured in camp, they don’t generally meet their ADP value.”
The Value of Jake Ferguson in Deeper Leagues 09:33
- Jake Ferguson, a tight end for the Dallas Cowboys, is worth paying attention to in deeper leagues.
- With the uncertainty surrounding the tight end position in Dallas, Ferguson could emerge as a valuable option.
- Involvement from quarterback Dak Prescott and Ferguson’s performance in training camp make him an intriguing player.
“And deeper leagues, Dalton Schultz was not a name we knew until we knew it, right? The involvement, Dak throwing to that position, very important. Yeah. And Ferguson’s been pretty good in camp. Last I saw the last practice report I read, he had two touchdowns.”
Uncertainty around Baltimore Ravens‘ Wide Receivers 09:59
- Speculation surrounding the Baltimore Ravens‘ wide receivers is baseless and unproductive.
- While Zay Flowers and Odell Beckham Jr. may be solidifying themselves, the status of Rashod Bateman remains uncertain.
- Fantasy managers should not put too much stock in these rumors as the situation could change quickly.
“ESPN, more speculation around the Baltimore wide receivers just. Just the dumbest speculation. Yeah. I’m not. It’s just Mike brought up, Zay flowers yesterday said flowers and Beckham are solidifying themselves, but Bateman’s still in the pub.”
Jacoby Brissett‘s Potential in the Washington Football Team’s Quarterback Competition 10:50
- Washington Football Team’s head coach, Ron Rivera, mentioned not to sleep on Jacoby Brissett in the team’s quarterback competition.
- Brissett could be a contender to win the starting job and has the potential to surprise.
- There is a possibility of a quarterback change during the season, and both Brissett and presumed starter Sam Howell could see playing time.
“I am getting news from coach Rivera saying, don’t sleep on Jake from really… Yeah. They’re just, they’re covering all aspects of the quarterback position. Cause Jake from this is apparently the third strength quarterback for the commanders. Which you can go from third to first pretty quick there.”
DJ Moore‘s Potential with Justin Fields as Quarterback 13:58
- DJ Moore, now a member of the Chicago Bears, has the potential to have a breakout season if Justin Fields performs well as a quarterback.
- Fields’ ability to throw the ball effectively will determine Moore’s success.
- There is a possibility that Moore could be a top 12 wide receiver if Fields reaches his potential.
“Could people be sleeping on a top 12 wide receiver and DJ more this season? Yeah. I think that is possible. I’ve risen on DJ more and you’re right to bring up Fields. Fields is the entirety of whether or not DJ more has a good season and it’s not a matter of will they let him throw more? It’s just is he going to level up? Do you believe that Justin Fields is a good thrower of the football because that’s what’s going to matter for DJ more and I have started to believe.”
Moore’s Potential for Success 16:10
- There is belief that DJ Moore can succeed on a new level, depending on how Fields performs.
- In the NFL draft, Fields was considered a talented passer, so there’s reason to have faith in DJ Moore.
- DJ Moore‘s inconsistency has been a problem in the past.
“I believe that that really can happen but it is entirely on the basis of whether or not Fields can level up.”
- DJ Moore has finished as a WR2 in the past four years.
- However, his consistency has been lacking, and he has been a C in terms of consistency grade.
- He provides a good fantasy game only about 40% of the time, which is not sufficient.
“He’s a C in our consistency grade, about 40% of the time giving you a really good fantasy game and that’s not going to get it done.”
- DJ Moore is currently ranked as the WR23.
- With previous cases of successful wide receivers switching teams, there is hope for DJ Moore.
- Despite some concerns, taking DJ Moore as a fifth-round pick can be worth it due to his potential upside.
“Currently DJ more is the wide receiver 23… I would take him there. I think the upside is worth it.”
Evaluating Calvin Ridley‘s Potential 19:58
- Calvin Ridley is currently ranked as the WR19.
- There is uncertainty about whether he will perform closer to a WR1 or a low-end WR2.
- The success of Trevor Lawrence will be influential in Ridley’s performance.
“I would say that I believe he is either going to be closer to a wide receiver one or it’s going to be a really balanced offense.”
The Risk and Reward of Drafting Calvin Ridley 20:57
- Calvin Ridley carries both a risk and reward due to his long absence from the NFL.
- If the offense becomes more balanced and other players get involved, Ridley’s performance may suffer.
- The potential of Trevor Lawrence and the overall talent on the team may support Ridley’s success.
“Calvin Ridley has the potential to be great… He has done it before at an elite level.”
“I mean, probably he probably does. And we have the proof of the, you know, the proof that Trevor Lawrence can support a wide receiver one.”
Rankings Countdown: 20-11 23:33
- The upside of players is baked into their current cost 23:38
- The risk and reward of Christian Kirk 23:59
- The projection for Christian Kirk in ADP 24:00
- The uncertainty surrounding Calvin Ridley 24:10
- The value of high ceiling players in fantasy football 24:36
Concerns about Marquise Brown 24:59
- Marquise Brown drafted as the WR29 without his preferred quarterback 25:12
- Speculation about Kyler Murray‘s availability 26:03
- The impact of Clayton Tune and Colt McCoy on Marquise Brown‘s performance 26:05
Evaluating the risk of Marquise Brown 27:53
- Considering Marquise Brown at his ADP 27:59
- Assessing Marquise Brown‘s value if Kyler Murray was healthy 28:12
- Analyzing the Cardinals’ opening schedule and its impact on Marquise Brown 29:00
Introduction of Devonta Smith 30:44
- Devonta Smith as a valuable wide receiver with Jalen Hurts as his quarterback 30:54
- Devonta Smith‘s strong performance in the second half of the previous season 31:06
Wide Receiver Rankings: DeVonta Smith and DK Metcalf 31:58
- Currently, DeVonta Smith is ranked lower at 22 in the wide receiver rankings.
- There are concerns about Smith’s production with a healthy Dallas Goddard on the field.
- However, Smith’s strong first-half performances last season suggest a high floor for him.
- DK Metcalf has the potential to be a wide receiver one and has consistently received a high number of red zone and in-zone targets.
- Both Smith and Metcalf could finish as top 12 wide receivers.
“Devontay Smith is probably really his floor where he’s ending up. 14 to 17, it seems hard to see him lower than that.” 31:59 “DK Metcalf is someone who has that wide receiver one overall possibility.” 36:51
DeVonta Smith: Production Concerns 32:13
- Some of DeVonta Smith‘s production last season was inflated due to Dallas Goddard’s absence.
- The question is whether Smith will continue to receive the same level of targets with Goddard healthy and on the field.
- However, Smith is entering his third year and should continue to improve.
“The case against him is that a lot of his production came and it leveled up when Dallas Goddard was gone. The question is, is that the new normal?” 32:21
DeVonta Smith: Positive Points 33:16
- In the first half of games last season, DeVonta Smith performed like a top 10 wide receiver.
- With a potentially tougher schedule for the Philadelphia Eagles this year, Smith could have more opportunities to shine.
- Despite being ranked as the wide receiver two on his team, Smith is still considered a solid addition.
“If the Eagles don’t have as easy a time this season… I think Devontay Smith could be a top 12 wide receiver.” 33:19
DK Metcalf: Touchdown Potential 37:11
- DK Metcalf is expected to have positive touchdown regression, given the number of red zone and in-zone targets he receives.
- His start to the season will be crucial, as it strongly impacts how players are perceived.
- The first two weeks of the season, where he faces tough matchups against the Rams and Lions, will affect his early performance.
WR Rankings Countdown: 20-11 38:47
- The discussion focuses on players who have a high risk and reward profile. 38:52
“Reward versus very little risk and it’s worth taking.”
- The potential impact of Jackson Smith and Jigba on DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, and their ADP is considered. 39:05
“Not going to…overtake Lockett or Metcalf and replace one of them.”
- The possibilities for JSN’s involvement in the Seahawks’ offense and its potential effect on Metcalf and Lockett are explored. 39:55
“If JSN…becomes that first read, it’s going to negatively affect both of the players.”
- T Higgins is discussed as the number 15 WR and his value based on ADP. 40:20
“I think it’s too expensive.”
- The debate about T Higgins’ upside and the impact of Jamar Chase on his production is presented. 41:47
“Are you drafting him near his ceiling? Potentially, yes.”
- The argument for T Higgins being a bet on the player and the Cincinnati Bengals‘ offense is made. 42:37
“He is an extremely difficult player because I want him on my teams.”
Amari Cooper‘s value at wide receiver 43:44
- The discussion revolves around Omari Cooper’s ranking and his ADP compared to other WRs. 43:55
“If Deshaun Watson is back to form…it’s a little if.”
- Different opinions regarding Deshaun Watson‘s potential impact on Amari Cooper‘s value are presented. 44:20
“I think it’s a little if…it’s a lower if.”
“It’s Amari Cooper‘s wide receiver.”
“It’s not just rust, it’s also the public pressure.”
Amari Cooper‘s Inconsistency and Fantasy Potential 46:32
- Amari Cooper has shown inconsistent performance throughout his career, with good and bad halves of seasons.
- Despite his inconsistency, Cooper is a solid NFL wide receiver and can finish the year strongly.
- However, this inconsistency makes him a risky pick in fantasy football.
“Amari Cooper has always been a player who is really good, but it always comes inconsistently.”
Excitement for Other WRs at the Same Draft Spot 46:53
- There are other players in the fourth round that the speaker is more excited about in terms of fantasy value.
- Keenan Allen is mentioned as a preferable option for a bet compared to Amari Cooper.
“I feel like there are players I’m more excited about in the fourth round.”
The Rise of Second-Year Wide Receivers in Fantasy Football 48:20
- Players are catching on to the strategy of targeting second-year wide receivers who had great rookie seasons.
- Second-year wide receivers have a higher chance of becoming superstars.
- Chris Olave is one of those young receivers who the speaker is excited about for the upcoming season.
“The crowd is getting better at the game… those are the players that take the jet pack into superstardom.”
High Expectations for Chris Olave 48:40
- Chris Olave is praised for his skills on the field and considered a budding superstar.
- The upgrade from Andy Dalton to Derek Carr is seen as an advantage for Olave’s fantasy production.
- The speaker wishes Olave’s draft price was lower, but still believes he will outperform his ADP.
“I love Chris Olave… he wins everywhere on the field.”
The Favorable Schedule for the Cleveland Browns‘ Wide Receivers 50:20
- The Cleveland Browns‘ wide receivers have one of the best strength of schedules based on last year’s performance.
- They have a strong start and finish to the season in terms of matchups.
“Like they have by far the on paper, the best strength of schedule for the wide receiver position.”
Keenan Allen‘s Reliability and Draft Value 51:43
- Keenan Allen is considered a safe and reliable option for fantasy football due to his consistent performance.
- In full PPR leagues, he can be a good option as a wide receiver one.
- The speaker emphasizes that injuries can happen to any player, but Allen is a low-risk choice.
“Every player can get injured… you’re not going to be disappointed with him.”
Jaylen Waddle‘s Impressive Yards Per Reception 53:06
- Jalen Waddle had a higher average yards per reception than Tyreek Hill.
- This stat highlights Waddle’s big-play ability and potential for fantasy success.
“It is a weird thing to have a player that outpaced Tyree Kill in average yards per reception.”
“That’s one of our biggest disagreements … how we see that playing out for the Cleveland Browns.”
Comparison to Tyreek Hill 53:14
- Jalen Waddle is considered the closest player to Tyreek Hill.
- They both play on the same football team.
- Waddle finished as the seventh-ranked wide receiver last year, which was an incredible achievement.
- He managed to achieve this even with the inconsistency of Tua Tagovailoa as his quarterback.
“He is as close to Tyree Kill as you get.”
Concerns about Jaylen Waddle 53:48
- There is some nervousness about Waddle due to the presence of a superstar wide receiver like Tyreek Hill.
- When a player like Hill dominates the field, it often leads to other players, like Waddle, disappearing.
- In games where Hill shines, Waddle’s performance can suffer significantly.
- This inconsistency is highlighted by his low rankings in certain games.
“When a player is a true superstar wide receiver, you’re going to have games where the other people on the field just disappear.”
Impact of Tyreek Hill on Jalen Waddle 54:30
- Having Tyreek Hill on the same team as Waddle can make things easier for him at times, as he doesn’t have to do much to help the team.
- However, this ease of play can also limit Waddle’s contributions and overall impact.
- The presence of a more improved defense in Miami this year could also affect Waddle’s performance.
“And Tyree Kill handles it.”
Nervousness about Jaylen Waddle‘s Consistency 56:12
- Waddle’s boom-bust potential and his situation as a young wide receiver two with a superstar teammate raises questions about his consistency.
- Comparing him to Devonta Smith, there are concerns that Waddle may not be as consistent due to having a worse quarterback in Tua Tagovailoa.
- This uncertainty may lead to a reevaluation of Waddle’s rank and whether he is worth the price in fantasy drafts.
“More boom bust. He has a worse quarterback.”
Importance of Opportunity in Best Ball 59:33
- In best ball leagues, opportunity is a crucial factor to consider when evaluating players.
- The average number of opportunities for a player at a certain draft position should not be undervalued.
- The Ultimate Draft Kit provides projections for the number of opportunities each player is expected to have, which should be considered when drafting.
- This analysis can help identify undervalued players with higher projected opportunities, like Deebo Samuel.
“Opportunity is king in fantasy football.”
Paying Attention to Opportunity and Value 01:00:57
- The hosts emphasize the importance of paying attention to the gap between opportunity and ADP to find value in fantasy football.
- They mention using the Ultimate Draft Kit (UDK) and DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports) pass to assess the player’s opportunities.
- Looking at how many chances a player gets to make an impact on the field can help identify potential value picks.
“And so looking at that gap between opportunity, ADP, paying attention to the UDK and the opportunities and seeing where you might be able to get a value, merely looking at how many chances this player gets to make an impact on the field.”
Best Ball Breakdown and Underdog Fantasy 01:01:24
- The Best Ball Breakdown segment is presented by Underdog Fantasy.
- Underdog Fantasy offers a first deposit match up to $100 with the code BALLERS.
- The hosts encourage viewers to take a look at the Best Ball Breakdown and consider using Underdog Fantasy.
“So take a look at that. That was best ball breakdown presented by Underdog Fantasy. Get your first deposit matched up to $100 using the code BALLERS.”