Week 5 Matchups + DJ MOAR!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 5 is underway! On today’s fantasy football podcast, reactions to Thursday Night Football before lots of matchup previews! Get advice for tough start/sit decisions in Week 5! Plus, NFL News, and Andy spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for October 6th, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
- News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
- Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
- DJ Moore had a monster performance in Thursday Night Football, with 8 receptions for 230 yards and 3 touchdowns on 10 targets.
- The Bears faced the Raiders and won 40-20.
- The guys discuss the impact of these performances on fantasy football.
“We had a monstrous, uh, lifetime performance from DJ Moore eight for 230 and three on 10 targets.”
Jason Moore‘s haircut and hat dilemma 01:12
- Jason Moore had been known for always wearing a hat, but now that he has gotten a haircut, he can wear one again.
- There was a playful celebration with confetti when Jason showed up to get his haircut.
- Jason explains the significance of being able to wear a hat and why sometimes he can’t.
“Now that he’s gotten the haircut, that allows you to re-enter the hat.” “That is correct. I don’t need to get a haircut because I’m going to wear a hat.”
Al Borland’s fantasy struggles 02:07
- Al Borland, one of the hosts, has been having a rough time in fantasy football this season.
- Despite having a strong team on paper, Al has scored the fewest points in the league.
- He faced the fantasy hit man, Mike Wright, who scored 92 points with the help of DJ Moore and Justin Fields.
“He’s facing the fantasy hit man. Mike is his matchup for the week.” “A man in a deep dark pit, a pit of despair who had 92 points hung on him last night.”
Distribution of targets in Washington’s offense 06:09
- Washington’s offense struggled in their game, and one of the issues was the lack of consolidation of targets.
- Despite throwing the ball 51 times, only 10 of those targets went to Terry McLaurin or Jehan Dotson, their best weapons.
- This distribution of targets to 11 different receivers is detrimental for fantasy football purposes.
“11 different receivers receive targets. Yeah, that’s, that is, and that, that could be fine for the NFL. I mean, you’ve seen Matt Ryan go out there and distribute it to, you know, a bunch of different players… but we’re selfish. We’re playing fantasy football and this is not good for fantasy football.”
- Sam Howell salvaged the day by standing in and taking hits, being sacked five times and breaking tackles.
“I feel like Sam Howell kind of salvaged the day by himself.”
Friday giveaways 09:10
- Every Friday, the show gives away a $100 gift card to fantasychamps.com. Today’s winner is Yoda man.
“Every Friday we give away a $100 gift card to fantasychamps.com and today’s winner, Yoda man.”
Injuries and updates 09:57
- Amond Ross St. Brown has an abdomen injury and missed Thursday’s practice. His status for the upcoming game is uncertain.
“The headline news right now, Amond Ross St. Brown, the abdomen injury, missed Thursday and missing today’s practice.”
- His coach will provide updates within the next 24 hours.
“They will update us on the status of Amond Ross St. Brown in the next 24 hours.”
- If St. Brown is active, there are other wide receiver options that may be safer starts due to the injury.
“I do think at this point there are a handful of names that you might want to just start over him if he’s active.”
- Examples of safer start options include Garrett Wilson, Nico Collins, Calvin Ridley, DJ Moore, and Marquis Brown.
Rhamondre Stevenson‘s status 12:01
- Running back Ramon Dre Stevenson has been limited in practice, and the vibes around him are not good.
“Ramon Dre stayed limited on Thursday back to back limited.”
- If there are other options available, it may be wise to pivot away from starting Stevenson due to the uncertain situation.
“Ramon Dre is another person in that category of if you need to play him, you can if you have other options, it may be Pivot O’Clock.”
Jonathan Taylor‘s availability 12:31
- Running back Jonathan Taylor was a full participant in Thursday’s practice, indicating a high likelihood of him playing.
“Jonathan Taylor full participant in Thursday’s practice.”
- The hosts believe there is a 98% chance that Taylor will be available for the game.
“I would say that we are handicapping his odds of playing at I’m going to put it 98%.”
Kenny Pickett‘s return 12:43
- Kenny Pickett, who plays for the Baltimore Ravens, has been upgraded to a full participant in practice and is expected to start.
“Kenny Pickett upgraded a full participant. He’s going to be back.”
- There was initially some confusion and concern about the severity of his injury, but it appears to be just a bone bruise.
“Well, it’s just a bone bruise. Just a few moments. It’s just and he’s back.”
Cooper Kupp‘s status 13:12
- Wide receiver Cooper Kupp logged a full practice and is expected to play in the upcoming game.
“Cooper Kupp log to full practice expected to play barring setbacks.”
- The hosts recommend starting both Kupp and Jonathan Taylor this week.
Javonte Williams‘ return 13:29
- Running back Gervante Williams returned to practice on Thursday, which is good news for his health.
“Good news here. Gervante Williams returned to practice on Thursday.”
- However, this may not be positive news for fantasy football owners who have struggled with starting Williams.
“I think this is just bad news. I mean, it’s good for the health.”
Chase Claypool traded to the Dolphins 14:14
“Chase Claypool traded to the Dolphins a six-seven swap for the player traded for the number 32 overall pick last year.”
Matchup Preview: Stafford and Hurts 17:35
- Stafford has been struggling for fantasy but great as an NFL quarterback
- Watch his arm speed, angles, and pocket presence
- Cooper Kupp‘s return adds firepower to the offense
“Stafford only has three touchdowns in the first three games… He’s been great as an NFL quarterback.”
Offensive Weapons for the Rams 18:17
- Puka Nakua, Tutu Atwell, and Tyler Higbee have emerged as options
- Cooper Kupp has been a touchdown machine
“He has made Puka Nakua and Tutu Atwell into stars and now he gets Cooper Cup… you guys see the video of Cooper Cup at practice?”
Favorable Matchup vs. Eagles Defense 19:41
- Eagles defense ranks poorly against quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends
- Running backs like Kyron Williams have had success against them
“When people see the Philadelphia matchup, you’re still reacting to last year, but this year the Eagles defense… They’ve essentially been one of the worst defenses in terms of fantasy production.”
Wide Receiver Dilemma for the Rams 20:27
- Cooper Kupp‘s return may impact the workload of Puka Nakua and Tutu Atwell
- Debate over who will be the odd man out
“I think in the long run that 2 2 is the one that loses and snaps… I guess I’m hesitant to start Tutu Atwell.”
Hurts and Swift’s Consistency 20:59
- Jalen Hurts and Deandre Swift have been reliable fantasy options
- Swift has been the least stuffed running back in the league
“Three games RB 2 13 and 11… The least stuffed player thus far in the NFL is Deandre Swift.”
Offensive Line Openings for Swift 24:28
- Philadelphia’s offensive line has created significant running lanes
- Deandre Swift has benefited from the strong blocking
“You could fit… I could even in that hole. Yes, I would be able to like make it go with the city bus but I could fit through it.”
Usage of Devonta Smith and A.J. Brown 25:18
- Devonta Smith could have an advantage against the Rams’ zone defense
- A.J. Brown excels against man coverage
Uncertainty Surrounding Dallas Goedert 24:34
- Dallas Goedert has underperformed in fantasy through four games
- Consider other tight ends like Zach Ertz instead
“It’s not that Goedert can’t perform. It’s that Goedert hasn’t through four games… This is not a startable tight end.”
- Dallas Goddard has had success before in a plus matchup and should be considered as a starter.
- Tyler Higbie is also a viable option to consider, especially given Cooper Kupp‘s presence as the focal point of the Rams’ passing game.
- Both the Cowboys and the Rams have struggled against tight ends.
- It’s a tough call, but the experts lean towards starting Higbie in this scenario.
“Both [Goddard and Higbie] could have successful games. This could be the breakout week.”
Bengals vs. Cardinals 26:43
- The Bengals (1-3) are facing the Cardinals (1-3).
- The Bengals are favored by three points in this road matchup.
- Joe Burrow has been outperforming Tyler Higbie in fantasy points per game.
- The Cardinals’ defense ranks as the second-worst against fantasy quarterbacks.
- However, Burrow’s recent performances have been shaky, and he has been under pressure due to a weak offensive line.
- It is advised to bench Burrow for more reliable options.
- Jamar Chase remains a strong play, as he has consistently seen a high number of targets per game.
“You can’t play Joe Burrow with five-star confidence. He’s a three-star. I hope you come back to form.”
Michael Wilson‘s Emergence 30:55
- Michael Wilson has shown promise, with a seven-target, seven-catch, two-touchdown performance last week.
- However, his success has been inconsistent, as most of his fantasy output came from a broken play in a previous game.
- Marquise “Hollywood” Brown remains the preferred option between him and Wilson.
- Wilson is an intriguing name to consider for deeper leagues or in DraftKings lineups due to his low price and potential upside.
“I’m just playing Hollywood for sure. Michael Wilson is a very interesting name that I think you want on your bench.”
Joe Burrow‘s Status 29:39
- Burrow has faced constant pressure due to a weak offensive line.
- It is advised to hold onto Burrow but bench him until he fully recovers, as his bad games have been underperforming Tyler Higbie.
- The absence of T Higgins further diminishes Burrow’s outlook.
- Burrow’s recovery is expected to take several more weeks, making him a risky play.
“Do not drop Burrow. He will recover at some point in the second half of the season and will be great.”
The Jets vs Broncos Matchup 33:32
- The Jets and Broncos both have a record of one win and three losses.
- The game is taking place in Denver.
“The Jets are one and three. The Broncos are one and three. The games in Denver.”
Examining the Broncos Defense 33:42
- The Broncos defense has been struggling, giving up an average of 25 points per game.
- They have particularly struggled against running backs and wide receivers, ranking last in the league in points allowed to both positions.
- Tight ends have also had success against the Broncos, scoring an average of 13 points per game.
“I’m looking at the Broncos defense and the numbers are given up. Dear goodness. 25 points a game to quarter. That’s impressive 41 to running backs. Those are both dead last in the league 36 to wide receivers. And why not just toss 13 points to the tight end.”
Concerns about Zach Wilson 34:02
- The performance of Jets quarterback Zach Wilson has been inconsistent and unreliable.
- He has had significant collapses in games, including being benched at halftime with negative fantasy points.
- While there is confidence in the matchups and the talent around Wilson, there is a dependency on him to perform well.
- Wilson’s previous success against the Chiefs was due to the team allowing him to throw the ball more, which may not be the case against the Broncos.
“But his games his collapses are not middle of the road. They are kind of utter garbage. They’re getting benched at halftime with negative fantasy points. That’s that’s what exactly and he he played so well against Kansas City. But one of the reasons why is because the team decided to let him throw the ball a little bit. They could they knew it was Kansas City. They knew they could not just hand the ball off to Breeze Hall and Elvin Cook and not let him throw the football.”
Confidence in Starting Jets Players 35:11
- The matchup against the Broncos makes it a favorable situation for starting talented Jets players.
- Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson are mentioned specifically as players who should be in starting lineups.
- The Jets’ weak defense further supports the decision to start these players.
“The way that I see this is actually pretty easy and obvious for the Jets. Like because of the matchup against the Broncos when you have actual talented players you need to have them in your starting lineup.”
Broncos as Favorites 35:55
- The Broncos being two and a half point favorites against the Jets may come as a surprise.
- The Jets’ defense has been strong against quarterbacks and wide receivers, although they have struggled against running backs and tight ends.
- Despite this, it is mentioned that there is not a single Broncos player that is considered a desirable fantasy start.
“I am. Yeah. Yeah. I mean like give them the home the home field advantage make it be a one point but I’m surprised is that two and a half. The the area in which the Jets have been giving up fantasy production and fantasy points. Their defense has been great against the quarterback and the wide receivers but the running back in the tight end is where they’ve given up points.”
Highlighting Players for the Kansas City vs Minnesota Matchup 38:32
- Kirk Cousins, the Vikings’ quarterback, has had mixed performances so far this season.
- Alexander Madison has emerged as a strong option in the absence of Dalvin Cook.
- Jared Hawkinson is mentioned as a must-start tight end.
- There is discussion about playing against the Chiefs’ defense, which has been challenging for fantasy production.
“Kirk Cousins has finished the as the quarterback nine two four and 22…Emergent performances from Alexander Madison…Hawkinson is a must start…This matchup is not good for running backs. Chiefs defense fifth in the league and schedule adjusted.”
Analysis of Isiah Pacheco and Other Running Back Options 41:16
- Isaiah Pacheco has been performing well recently and is viewed as a solid option.
- The other running back options for the Chiefs are deemed less desirable.
- There is confidence in Pacheco’s abilities and potential for explosive plays.
“Isaiah Pacheco has been back to back top 12. He looks really really good. They’ve thrown him the ball a little bit. I see the separation between the other options they have in Isaiah Pacheco right now.”
Isiah Pacheco taking over 41:37
- Pacheco’s slow start can be attributed to his preseason injury and limited playing time due to wearing a noncontact jersey during training camp.
- His yards per carry is now at 4.9 for the year.
“Guys that you forget that he was injured all preseason and wearing a noncontact jersey through a lot of training camp. So it’s not the biggest surprise that it’s taken some time but Pacheco is taking over. Yeah, he’s at 4.9 a carry on the year now.”
Wide receiver options in Kansas City 41:58
- The matchup for Kansas City wide receivers is great, so there is expectations for some production.
- Rushy Rice is a deep start option, as he has shown promise and narrowly missed out on a touchdown in previous games.
- Justin Ross, although barely playing, has potential and there is a demand to get him more snaps in Kansas City.
- However, Kaderis Tony is unlikely to see significant playing time, so he is not recommended in redraft leagues.
“Someone will do something. Someone will do something. That’s a deep start through rice Tony Moore MBS wants and and Justin Ross. I picked up Justin Ross. Really. I did. Didn’t he have like a snap or something? Oh yeah, he’s barely playing. Okay. I mean I picked him up because I feel like there’s a kind of an outcry in Kansas City to get him more snaps because he’s he just looks better than the other receivers there… Rushy Rice has looked good… He was a yard away from a touchdown. He gets two more yards and in a couple weeks ago you’re talking about a guy who has a multi-touchdown Kansas City Chiefs game and and Rushy Rice would be the number one waiver pickup and play. So he’s the guy I would take a shot at but I’m not going to start in redraft leagues. Any of them.”
George Kittle‘s inconsistencies 45:49
- George Kittle has had some disappointing performances with low fantasy point production.
- However, he has the ability to put up big numbers and is one of the few tight ends who can score 30 points in a game.
- Despite the risk of a low-scoring game, it is still recommended to start Kittle over other tight end options.
“Kittle’s bad games are not acceptable bad games… That being said, his big games are the exact opposite. He’s one of the only tight ends in the league that can go out there and put up 30… He’s a good play. He’s getting enough targets. He’s he is a safe put him in your tight end slot but if I had both those players recognizing that Kittle could easily go out there and give me three points I’m still playing Kittle.”
Jake Ferguson as a start/sit option 47:45
- Jake Ferguson‘s matchup against the 49ers is not great, but he has been involved in the passing game with a decent target share.
- Despite his lack of touchdowns, his consistent involvement makes him a viable option at tight end.
“Jake Ferguson. It’s very similar to how I see [Zach] Ertz because the matchup is not great against the 49ers but he’s very involved… I’m going to keep playing him. Dak features him a lot in the red zone.”
Wide receiver options for the Dallas Cowboys 48:38
- Apart from CeeDee Lamb, there are no strong recommendations for starting other Cowboys wide receivers.
- In a pinch, Michael Gallup could be considered for a flex spot, as he has had solid performances in recent weeks.
“I don’t love starting them… There’s a couple places in a pinch where I have chosen to put Michael Gallup into my lineup. He’s been pretty good. Six receptions, five receptions the last two weeks with ninety-two and sixty yards.”
Dak Prescott‘s start/sit decision 49:18
- Dak Prescott is not a full benching candidate, but he should be avoided if better options are available.
- In comparison to Joe Burrow, Dak is preferred, but other quarterbacks like Jimmy Garoppolo and Josh Dobbs may be better choices.
- Dak’s recent fantasy performances have not been impressive, so caution is advised when starting him.
“I don’t think he’s a full benching. Would you rather play Dak or Joe Burrow? Dak. Yeah so that that to me is that means Dak is not a full benching. He’s in a void if possible. Like right now IBurrow and Garoppolo]… I think I’d play Burrow over Dak… Dak has been almost as bad as Burrow.”
Joe Burrow‘s Performance as a Quarterback 49:55
- Joe Burrow has been performing poorly both as a fantasy quarterback and as a general quarterback.
- The Dallas Cowboys, on the other hand, have a good quarterback in Dak Prescott, although their recent wins have not required a significant number of points.
- This might just be a low-scoring game overall, but the San Francisco 49ers are expected to score around 30 points against the Cowboys.
“Joe Burrow has been a bad fantasy quarterback and he’s been a bad quarterback like Dak is still playing well.”
Green Bay Packers vs Las Vegas Raiders Matchup 50:46
- The Green Bay Packers, with a record of two wins and two losses, are facing the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday night.
- Jordan Love is expected to start as quarterback for the Packers, with Jason declaring him as his “start of the week.”
- The Raiders are favored in this game, which might be attributed to the Packers’ recent inconsistent performance.
- The health of key players like Aaron Jones and Christian Watson may also impact the outcome of the game.
“The Los Angeles Raiders are favored in this game. The Draft Kings Sportsbook line Raiders minus one.”
Assessing the Line and Green Bay Packers Offense 51:20
- The line for the Packers vs Raiders game is Raiders minus one.
- The team discusses their surprise at the line, believing that the Packers’ offense is improving and they have key players returning from injuries.
- They expect the Packers’ offense to perform well against a weak Raiders defense, thus questioning the line favoring the Raiders.
“I view it is that the Green Bay Packers offense now is rounding into the shape that they wanted to start the season that they still haven’t really had yet.”
Analysis of the Green Bay Packers‘ Recent Performance 52:21
- Although Jordan Love‘s impressive performance in week one against the Chicago Bears set a positive impression, the subsequent losses to the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions have raised doubts about his capabilities.
- The Packers managed to stage a comeback against the New Orleans Saints, despite an overall underwhelming offensive performance.
- The team attributes the Packers’ recent struggles to offensive inconsistencies and a lack of confidence.
“But since then they lost to Atlanta. They lost to Detroit. They had a they were getting their butts kicked in New Orleans and somehow pulled out the 1817 victory which is not a lot of points.”
Fantasy Implications and Player Analysis for Green Bay Packers 54:16
- When it comes to fantasy football, the team suggests starting Romeo Dobbs as he is the highest-rated target for the Packers.
- However, they acknowledge the difficulty of benching Christian Watson given his potential impact.
- Jordan Love‘s recent passing stats have been underwhelming, but his rushing capability has helped boost his fantasy production.
- Jimmy Garoppolo‘s passer rating on the season has been relatively good.
“Romeo Dobbs would be my number one. I would put him in first because I think he’s the highest-rated target.”
“Passer rating for Jimmy G on the year is 83. It’s really not been bad.”
Expectations for Josh Jacobs 54:36
- The team anticipates a strong performance from Josh Jacobs in this matchup against the Packers.
- They highlight that Jacobs seemed to have regained his form after initially struggling at the start of the season.
- The Packers’ defense has not been successful at stopping opponents, further boosting expectations for Jacobs.
“Josh Jacobs finally had a big fantasy game last week and he will continue it.”