Week 3 Matchups + Start Sit Challenges, Shametown!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 3 is here! On today’s fantasy football podcast, lots of matchup previews and tough start/sit decisions! Plus, Giants vs 49ers recap, NFL News, and most importantly, Jason spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for September 22nd, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Recap of Giants vs 49ers game 01:10
- The Thursday night football game went mostly according to plan.
- Brock Purdy started shaky but ended up with two touchdowns.
- The Giants continued to struggle.
- The Giants ran the ball a total of 11 times while the 49ers ran it 39 times.
- Christian McCaffrey‘s manager, Mike Wright, was unhappy with McCaffrey’s performance.
- Elijah Mitchell performed well for the 49ers.
“Brock Purdy looked a little shaky early on… but he got right back to his two touchdown average.”
Deebo Samuel‘s strong performance 03:07
- Debo Samuel had a great game, scoring over 20 points.
- George Kittle also had a good game.
- The 49ers’ players tend to perform well when one of their main options is out.
“You got a hundred burgers last night… it wasn’t good… but that’s just they’re off to a good start.”
Disappointing performance by Darren Waller 04:32
- Darren Waller had a rough game with only three receptions for 20 yards.
- One pass that hit his hands could have been caught, but it wasn’t a great pass.
“Darren Waller… it was a rough game.”
Wan’Dale Robinson‘s return 05:14
- Wanda Robinson returned to the field with four receptions for 21 yards.
- Robinson’s involvement was limited, with Cadeius Tony being the primary focus.
- Robinson could be a player to watch in future games.
“It was great to see the return of Wanda Robinson… put him back on your radar as a possibility.”
Updates on Saquon Barkley‘s ankle injury 05:48
- There are conflicting reports on the severity of Saquon Barkley‘s ankle injury.
- Initially reported as a high ankle sprain, later stated to be a regular ankle sprain.
- Barkley may miss three games.
- The situation with Barkley’s injury remains uncertain.
“We have another installment everybody… it’s a new chapter… there will be more with Saquon’s ankle.”
Announcement of $100 gift card giveaway 06:55
- Every Friday, a $100 gift card is given away to a supporter of the show.
- This time, the gift card goes to Koi B.
“Today’s $100 gift card… congratulations.”
Shoutout to the active discord channel 07:41
- The show has a popular and active discord channel, close to being the largest fantasy football discord channel.
“It is the most active.”
- The Ballers Discord community is a quick way for people to help each other out. 07:43
- Sign up for free to join the community. 07:48
- Chat with like-minded people and have a great time. 07:51
- Get signed up and be ready for the fun trivia night hosted by Papa Josh on Monday. 07:58
“A lot of people helping one another out…chat with a bunch of like-minded people over there…we’re having a fun trivia night hosted by the one and only Papa Josh.”
News and Notes 08:14
- Austin Ekeler remains sidelined on Thursday. 08:25
- Dolphins wide receiver Jalen Waddle is still sidelined with concussion symptoms. 08:33
- Logan Thomas is also sidelined due to concussion symptoms. 08:38
- Derek Henry did not practice on Thursday, raising concerns. 09:09
- Aaron Jones returned to a limited practice, while Christian Watson did not practice. 09:35
- The Panthers’ Bryce Young continues to remain sidelined. 10:28
- Andy Dalton is set to start the game, with Bryce Young potentially missing more than just this week. 10:32
- Isaiah Pacheco returned to a limited practice. 11:45
- Kenny Gainwell returned to a limited practice, hinting at a potential time share with DeAndre Swift. 13:49
“Some updates for the matchups we covered on yesterday’s episode of the show…Austin Eckler remains sidelined…Dolphins wide receiver Jalen Waddle remained sidelined with concussion symptoms…Andy Dalton is going to start the game and Bryce Young could miss more than just this week…Kenny Gainwell returned to a limited practice, so we could see the beginnings of the Swift-Gainwell time share playing out.”
Jaguars vs. Texans 15:39
- The hosts discuss the pronunciation of “Jaguars” and whether it should be pronounced as “Wires” or “Wars.”
- They mention that some lifelong Jaguars fans prefer the pronunciation “Jaguars,” while others have converted to “Wars.”
- The debate over how to pronounce “Jaguars” adds a comedic element to the discussion.
“I’ve been, I converted to Wars because all these Jaguars fans are like, that’s not Jaguars.” 16:25
- The hosts discuss the upcoming matchup between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Houston Texans.
- The Jaguars are 8.5-point favorites with an over/under of 44 points.
- The Texans won in Jacksonville last year, but the hosts believe the Jaguars have the potential to blow them out of the water.
- They mention that CJ Stroud, the Jaguars’ quarterback, could be a good DFS play despite the Texans’ defense being stout against wide receivers.
- The hosts also discuss the difficult decision of whether to start Trevor Lawrence or other quarterbacks in favorable matchups.
“They have all the tools and ability to blow Houston out of the water here.” 17:44
- The hosts discuss the Houston Texans‘ defense, which has been vulnerable against the run but surprisingly strong against quarterbacks.
- Last year, the Texans were the number one team against quarterbacks, allowing only 10 fantasy points per game.
- They caution fantasy owners not to overlook the Texans’ defense when considering starting quarterbacks against them.
“You were up a ton and they’re easy to run on… Last year, if you played a quarterback against the Texans, you were really, really unhappy.” 19:07
Dameon Pierce and Jacksonville’s Running Game 20:03
- The hosts express frustration with Damian Pierce’s performance and the inconsistency of Jacksonville’s running game.
- They note that CJ Stroud has been throwing the ball frequently due to the team’s inability to run effectively.
- Despite Jacksonville’s defense being vulnerable against opposing fantasy quarterbacks, the hosts are unsure about starting Pierce.
Evan Engram‘s Performance 21:17
- The hosts discuss Evan Ingram’s performance so far this season and express satisfaction with his consistency.
- They highlight his fantasy production, averaging over seven points per game.
- They compare his performance to that of Darren Waller, who had a less productive week.
- The hosts encourage fantasy owners to continue starting Ingram.
“You’re getting points… That’s as good as you can hope and pray for.” 21:42
- The hosts preview the matchup between the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Ravens.
- Baltimore is favored by 8 points, with an over/under of 44.
- They mention that Gardner Minshew will likely be starting for the Colts instead of Anthony Richardson, which would have been an exciting matchup with Lamar Jackson.
- They highlight Lamar Jackson as a great start for fantasy and discuss the Colts’ susceptibility to wide receivers.
Nelson Agholor as a Potential Contributor for Baltimore 22:52
- The commentator believes that there will be another wide receiver contributing in the Baltimore game beyond Zay Flowers.
- They think that wide receiver will be Nelson Aguilar, who had six targets last week and was the number one beneficiary from Beckham leaving the game, showing that he has earned the trust of Lamar Jackson.
- They mention that Aguilar has flashed in preseason and training, making him an under the radar start for daily fantasy sports.
“That’s why I think it’s going to make the contribution.”
- The commentators discuss Zach Moss’s workload, as he had 98% of snaps and 100% of opportunities last week.
- They note that while Moss succeeded with those opportunities, the matchup against the Ravens is not ideal, as they have been giving up only 11 points to fantasy running backs.
- They mention that although Moss may not score 20 points, getting 10 from a running back is still decent.
“You’re not getting 20 points in Baltimore against the Baltimore run defense with Gardner Minshua quarterback.”
Nelson Aguilar’s Performance and Perception 23:42
- The commentators talk about Nelson Aguilar’s career being the butt of jokes and how he has received praise from coaches this offseason.
- They note that Aguilar was really good last week with 12 targets and consider him an interesting name to monitor.
“Nelson Aguilar has spent his career being the butt of jokes and he’s spent this offseason being the praise of coaches.”
Evaluating the Ravens’ Running Back Situation 25:19
- The commentators discuss the running back situation for the Baltimore Ravens after Justice Hill‘s injury.
- They mention that Gus Edwards is likely to be the main running back, especially with Justice Hill not expected to play due to turf toe.
- They bring up the addition of Kenyan Drake to the practice squad, suggesting that he could also be in the mix.
“Oh, it’s Gus Bus.”
Choosing between Gus Edwards and Zack Moss 25:56
- The commentators compare Gus Edwards and Zach Moss, both of whom are waiver wire options.
- They express a preference for Gus Edwards, citing his touchdown opportunities and the fact that Justice Hill is not expected to play.
- They acknowledge that if both Edwards and Hill were available, the decision might be more difficult.
“Oh yes. For sure.”
Adam Thielen as a Flex Play 29:25
- Thielen is a viable option as a flex play this week. 29:25
“Adam Thielen is fine as a flex play this week.”
Jonathan Mingo‘s Opportunity 29:30
- Mingo has been on the field consistently and had eight targets last week. 29:30
“I think Mingo could have his first game. He’s on the field constantly… He had eight targets… He had a lot of targets.”
Seattle Defense Start of the Week 29:47
- Start the Seattle defense this week as they face a struggling opponent. 29:47
“Seattle defense has been pretty bad… I have a major start of the week.”
Bears vs Chiefs Matchup and Point Totals 30:15
- The Chicago Bears are 0-2 and face the Kansas City Chiefs. The point spread is 12.5 in favor of Kansas City. 30:15
“Chicago Bears are 0-2… Kansas City has 12 and a half point home favorites.”
Assessing the Bears Offense 30:52
- The Chicago Bears offense has been described as “grotesque” but perhaps “boring” is a more accurate term. 30:52
“The word was grotesque… I feel like they’re too boring to be called grotesque.”
Frustrations with Khalil Herbert‘s Usage 32:31
- Khalil Herbert is a talented running back, but the Bears’ offensive struggles limit his opportunities. 32:31
“The Bears offense has been terrible… They’re not giving their running backs the true option… It’s really frustrating.”
Uncertainty Surrounding Khalil Herbert‘s Role 33:12
- It is unclear who the Bears’ starter should be, as there is a lack of clarity in Khalil Herbert‘s usage. 33:12
“We don’t know… Give him some work… Let’s find out.”
Comparing Khalil Herbert to Other Running Back Options 33:44
- In fantasy football, it may be wiser to choose another option over Khalil Herbert due to the Bears’ offensive struggles. 33:44
“Zach Moss against Baltimore or Khalil Herbert?… I’m going to take the 98% of snaps from Zach Moss.”
Justin Fields‘ Performance and Decision-making 35:00
- Justin Fields‘ struggles with decision-making and processing defenses have led to his inconsistent performance. 35:00
“Something about processing defenses right now is not working… He’s not going to think as much… It would be nice if he could be a pocket passer.”
Continuing to Start Justin Fields 35:49
- Despite his struggles, it is recommended to keep starting Justin Fields due to potential for improvement. 35:49
“Are you playing Stafford or Gino over Justin Fields?… I’m going to personally keep rolling out Fields.”
Justin Fields Start/Sit Dilemma 36:24
- Fields has struggled and the Kansas City Chiefs defense has been strong.
- Gino Smith could be a more interesting option than Matthew Stafford this week.
- Stafford’s matchup against the Bengals’ strong defense and lack of touchdown production so far this season make it a closer call.
- The Chiefs have shut down two pocket passers, Jared Goff and Trevor Lawrence, in previous weeks.
- It might be worth considering benching Fields to avoid potential disappointment.
“I just don’t know what other matchups, you got to start someone else.” 37:22
Mental Burden of Starting Fields 37:07
- Starting Fields has been rough for those who drafted him.
- Benching him and playing someone you have more confidence in can offer mental relief.
- If Fields has a bad game, you’ll be happy with your decision; if he has a good game, you can consider starting him again in the future.
Wide Receivers on the Kansas City Side 38:30
- Despite a projected high team total, it’s difficult to trust any wide receivers from Kansas City.
- Kaderis Tony might be the top option, but he is currently injured.
- It’s uncertain how Kansas City will utilize him going forward.
“You can’t play football, man.” 39:05
Dallas Cowboys vs Arizona Cardinals Preview 39:49
- The Dallas Cowboys are 12.5 point favorites against the winless Arizona Cardinals.
- Even without cornerback Trayvon Diggs, the Cowboys’ pass rush will pose a problem for the Cardinals.
- Dak Prescott, Jake Ferguson, CeeDee Lamb, and Tony Pollard are auto starts for fantasy owners.
- James Conner might have a tough matchup, but his volume makes him a viable play.
“Even without digs in the secondary, there’s going to be a lot of pressure.” 41:05
Pittsburgh Steelers vs Las Vegas Raiders Preview 42:23
- The Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Las Vegas Raiders in a matchup between struggling offenses.
- The Raiders are favored by two and a half points.
- The Steelers’ strong defense could pose a challenge for the Raiders.
- Josh Jacobs is a start of the week due to potential opportunities.
“The Raiders will have a more difficult time with the Steelers than the Steelers will have with the Raiders.” 42:51
Fantasy football matchups and start/sit challenges 43:05
- The Steelers are last against running backs through two weeks.
- Expecting big plays and a heavy workload for Joshua Jacobs this week.
- Confident Jacobs will have more rushing yards this week.
“You saw a big place against them last week, chunk plays.”
Start/Sit Decisions for Tight Ends 50:02
- Dallas Goedert is preferred over Cade Otton.
- Otten may suffer from being overlooked due to being a second-year tight end.
- Otten is a solid floor play, even if he doesn’t score touchdowns.
“When you play Cade Otton and you get six for 41, I mean you’re ecstatic about that.”
Joe Burrow‘s Status and Backup Options for Monday Night 51:14
- Joe Burrow is expected to play, but there is some uncertainty due to his calf injury.
- It is advisable to have a backup plan in case Burrow aggravates his injury during the game.
- Matthew Stafford is a good option to pick up as a backup quarterback.
“I do not want to get into Monday night get a whoops doozle Joe Burrow aggravated and his calf running onto the field.”
Start/Sit Decision for Running Backs in the Rams vs Bengals Game 52:53
- Joe Mixon and Kyren Williams are the primary options at running back.
- Williams has been performing well and is a viable start option over Mixon.
- However, benching Mixon for Williams is a decision that depends on the available alternatives.
“I do not blame anyone who is looking to just catch the game where he officially goes on fire and even playing him over Mixon I understand it.”
Wide Receivers to Consider in the Rams vs Bengals Game 54:56
- Pook Newcomb and Tutu Atwell have shown good performances and can be started with confidence.
- Tutu Atwell has had a high number of targets and has looked impressive.
- Comparisons were made between Tutu Atwell and other wide receivers like Jerry Jeudy and Drake London.
“Tutu has run more routes than anybody in football eight targets nine targets.”
Updates on Injured Players 55:16
- David Montgomery will not be playing due to injury.
- Amond Ra St. Brown is expected to play in Week 3.
- Logan Thomas has been ruled out due to a concussion.
- Kareem Hunt is expected to play but his workload may be monitored.
- Jalen Waddle is practicing but has not cleared the concussion protocol.
“David Montgomery, not a practice on Friday. He’s not going to be playing football.”
Fantasy Face Off Results 56:28
- The speaker won the Fantasy Face Off for Week 2.
- The punishment for losing the face off is severe and undesirable.
- The speaker is relieved to have won and avoided the punishment.
“I have started to know which is delightful.”
Recap of last week’s matchups and challenges 57:31
- The speaker mentions that they were able to win two matchups in a row against Jason.
“So yeah last week I was able to win Jason at the bottom to in a row Jay I know ready.”
Introduction to the start/sit challenges 57:53
- The speaker expresses excitement for the start/sit challenges and hopes to not lose this week.
“Oh I better not lose this week. Let’s go. Let’s spin that wheel.”
Revealing the matchup selections 58:17
- The speaker reveals the matchups for this week: Happy Trees Geyser Viking and Heads.
“We’ve got happy trees Geyser Viking and heads.”
Dressing up Jason with props 58:21
- The speaker starts dressing up Jason with props, including hair, mustache, and eyebrows.
- Jason is instructed to take off his glasses.
“So Jason you’re going to have to take your old hat off. He’s got the hair. There’s another piece. Oh is that a mustache? Oh we got a mustache for you Jason. Oh and we have eyebrows. Thank you. You want to help them out with these. Are they ready to go. They’re ready to go. You got my brother you’re gonna have to take the glasses off Jason.”
Enjoyment of the segment 58:54
- The speakers express their enjoyment of the winning part and the segment.
“I am enjoying the winning part. Oh yeah. How about you Jay you enjoying this segment. I am loving it man. My love in this segment.”
Introduction to the week three lineups 59:06
- The speaker introduces the lineups for week three.
- Jason’s appearance is complimented.
“We’re into the lineups for week three. Let’s see if we can get it done again. Jason you look spectacular. This is one of my favorites. Pink is my color. Oh you look good.”
Common selection of Kirk Cousins as quarterback 59:09
- The three speakers reveal that they have all chosen Kirk Cousins as their quarterback.
- One speaker mentions considering other options but ultimately going with Cousins due to his price and matchup.
“My quarterback this week going into week three draft. We all have the same quarterback. I’ve got Kirk Cousins. We have Kirk Cousins. I have Kirk Cousins. Yeah all right. I tried to go away from it knowing that it probably be commonly but 6900 Kirk Cousins.”
Running back selections 59:49
- The speakers share their running back selections.
- One speaker mentions sticking with the same two running backs from the previous week.
- Another speaker chooses Tony Pollard and Travis ETN.
- The third speaker goes with Tank Dell and Jameer Gibbs.
“My running backs I am I am going with the same two I ran out last week. I’m going B John Robinson at 7800 and Jameer Gibbs at 6600.” “At running back I’ve got a couple of guys I am counting on to do big things. Tony Pollard at 8000 and Travis ETN at 6900.” “I went with Jordan Addison instead of Justin Jefferson paid down there at only fifty five hundred. I feel like he’s mispriced. I wanted the value over Justin Jefferson but I do have Ken Allen and I do have Tank Dell.”
Wide receiver selections 01:01:09
- The speakers reveal their wide receiver selections.
- One speaker mentions that they couldn’t afford Justin Jefferson, while the others have him in their lineup.
- They discuss their other wide receiver picks such as Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.
“Give me a guest Justin Jefferson. Yeah. We all have Justin. We don’t. What I wasn’t able to afford him.” “I have Justin Jefferson at ninety three hundred. I have Ken Allen at 7600 in the same matchup.” “I went with Justin Jefferson, Ken Allen, and Mike Williams. So that’ll be fun. I don’t like being the one that doesn’t have Justin Jefferson.”
Tight end and defense selections 01:03:19
- The speakers reveal their tight end and defense selections.
- One speaker chooses a cheap tight end, while another selects Dalton Schultz.
- The defense choices include the Jets and Arizona.
“My tight end at twenty seven hundred is the pass-catching tight end for the Washington commanders, Cole Turner.” “I have Dalton Schultz at fifty three hundred as my tight end this week.” “I have the Jets defense at twenty eight hundred against the New England Patriots. They’re at home.” “Arizona. Yeah. At home against Dallas.”
“Mari Cooper who I think has a great matchup at home against the Tennessee Titans is only fifty seven hundred.” “So now we’re looking at the bargains.”
Smythe Cooper and Zay Flowers at the Flex Position 01:04:32
- Smythe Cooper and Zay Flowers are predicted to be difference makers at the flex position.
- Zay Flowers is particularly highlighted for his potential impact.
“So Smythe Cooper and the Jets Smythe the Jets Zay flowers will be my difference maker at the flex position.”
Positive Outlook for Zay Flowers 01:04:51
- Zay Flowers, with a price of $5,400, is expected to excel at home and receive a good number of targets.
“At home should be soaking up the those first three targets.”
Jason’s Contribution to the Draft Kings Lineup 01:05:02
- Jason played a key role in building the perfect Draft Kings lineup.
- His lineup prompted adjustments to improve it further.
“Thanks to Jason because he started he started strutting in the office and he said I did it. I built the perfect Draft Kings lineup and I was done and I said oh well he looks like a man who built the perfect lineup. So I went back into the laboratory changed things up and my lineup is infinitely better.”
Wrap-up and Promotional Segment with Draft Kings 01:05:49
- The segment concludes with a final advertisement for Draft Kings.
- Listeners are encouraged to download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app and use the promo code “ballers” to receive $200 in free bets.
“That was fantasy face off presented by Draft Kings Sportsbook. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app right now and use promo code ballers to get two hundred dollars in free bets instantly when you place a five dollar bet on any football game.”