Week 2 Matchups + Wheel of Shame, BLARF!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 2 matchup breakdowns and fantasy outlooks! On today’s fantasy football podcast, reactions to Thursday Night Football before diving back into Week 2 game previews! Plus, Week 2 DFS lineups and Jason spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for September 15th, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Thursday Night Football Recap
- The Philadelphia Eagles had a 34-28 victory against the Minnesota Vikings.
- Kirk Cousins had an impressive performance with 364 passing yards and four touchdowns.
- TJ Hawkinson and KJ Osborne caught two of Cousins’ touchdowns.
- Jordan Addison had some rookie mistakes but showed potential.
“Last night, Philadelphia had the biggest six-point blowout of the year with their 34-28 victory against Minnesota. Kirk Cousins had a monster game with 364 passing yards and four touchdowns.”
Concerns about Alexander Mattison 02:57
- Alexander Madison has not had a good start to the season, with only 61 rushing yards in two games.
- He has been struggling behind a weak offensive line.
- Madison’s performance against the Eagles was particularly challenging.
- He had several fumbles in the game.
- Some owners may be considering trading him or exploring other options.
“It hasn’t been a good start for Alexander Madison. He’s been struggling behind a weak offensive line and had several fumbles in the game against the Eagles.”
D’Andre Swift‘s impressive performance 10:45
- DeAndre Swift had a standout performance with 28 carries for 175 yards and a touchdown.
- Swift showcased his speed and ability to make the most of his opportunities.
- He established himself as an important part of the Lions’ offense.
“He’s faster than Kenny Gainwell. He got to the hole quickly and then he did a lot with it.”
Concerns over the Eagles’ offense 11:16
- The Eagles’ offense has struggled, scoring only one offensive touchdown in Week 1.
- Although they found success running the ball against the Vikings, it may not be sustainable against stronger run defenses.
- There are doubts about Jalen Hurts‘ ability to perform consistently as a passer.
“I think their offenses look terrible. Like putrid.”
Uncertainty in the Eagles’ running back situation 12:49
- With Kenny Gainwell, Boston Scott, and Rashad Penny dealing with injuries, DeAndre Swift had a heavy workload.
- It remains unclear how the touches will be divided when all the running backs are healthy.
- Gainwell’s return could lead to a two-man rotation with Swift.
“There’s a chance he leads the time share just on this performance. I think it’s about 50-50.”
Considerations for trading Jalen Hurts 14:12
- There might be an opportunity to sell high on Jalen Hurts, especially if another top quarterback struggles.
- The passing offense of the Eagles has not looked comfortable or efficient.
- Concerns about Hurts’ rushing attempts and decision making are becoming evident.
“If you could trade him for another great quarterback plus a running back or plus a wide receiver, I think I’m… going to be looking at that.”
“Jalen Hertz is great. He’s going to be good for fantasy, but I don’t think he’s going to be the… what you hope when you spend a second round or so.”
Injury updates and fantasy outlooks 16:05
- Austin Eckler of the Los Angeles Chargers did not practice again on Thursday, which casts doubt on his availability for the upcoming game. 16:14
- Zack Moss of the Buffalo Bills is being discussed as a potential trade target. 16:17
- Despite the speculation, the hosts of the podcast express reluctancy to trade for Moss. 16:23
- Melvin Gordon of the Denver Broncos was not seen practicing on Thursday, indicating a potential absence in the upcoming game. 18:14
“I would consider Trayvon Berks as a good start this week if Hopkins is out.” 18:15
Reactions and analysis on player performance 16:57
- The hosts discuss the possibility of Austin Eckler playing despite not practicing all week, as he has a track record of playing through injuries. 16:56
- Aaron Jones and Christian Watson didn’t practice on Thursday, leading to doubts about their availability for the subsequent game. 17:30
- DeAndre Hopkins skipped practice as well, highlighting ongoing issues with his availability due to injuries. 17:41
- The Lions declined to pursue Hopkins in the past, which was surprising given his talent. 17:55
“Trayvon Berks is a good start this week if Hopkins is out.” 18:14
Matchup previews and predictions 21:42
- The Indianapolis Colts face the Houston Texans in a low-scoring matchup with an over/under of 39.5 points. 22:09
- The line has shifted from Indianapolis being favored to Houston, indicating a change in betting sentiment. 22:15
- The uncertainty surrounding the performance of rookie quarterbacks in this game has affected the betting lines. 23:13
“Blarf is the perfect word for any game under 40 points.” 22:48
Nico Collins as an Interesting Flex Play 23:34
- Nico Collins had a good throw, a good read, and a tight window.
- Nico Collins and Robert Woods are both getting targets.
- Nico Collins is an interesting flex play this week.
- Nico Collins is a good play over Hunter Renfrow.
- Tannahill and Traylon Burks are the other options, but Nico Collins had a 26 percent target share.
Nico Collins‘ Potential Breakout 24:21
- Nico Collins has had health issues in the past but has potential for a breakout.
- The competition for targets is not strong with older Robert Woods.
- John Metzsche did not play in week one and Noah Brown is on IR.
- Tank Dell is another option, but the competition will change.
Dameon Pierce and Zack Moss as Start of the Week 25:07
- Damian Pierce is Jason’s start of the week.
- The Baltimore defense was tough in week one, but things might improve against the Colts.
- Don Schultz let all tight ends and routes run in week one, not good for him.
- Expect Pierce to stay involved in a game that doesn’t get out of hand.
- Mike has Zach Moss as his start of the week because he’s facing a patsy matchup.
“The cold defense gave up 24 fantasy points to the running back position in week one near the bottom.” 25:21
- Houston doesn’t produce points for opposing quarterbacks.
- Anthony Richardson had a decent passing game in his first outing.
- Richardson had the most design runs of any quarterback in week one.
- He is expected to have a big contribution on the ground.
- Richardson is worth considering as a fantasy starter.
“I’m excited to see what Richardson can do.” 26:46
Josh Downs as a Potential Breakout Player 28:22
- Jason and Mike discuss the potential of Josh Downs.
- Downs played a lot and had seven targets in week one.
- Michael Pittman can disappear, so Downs might have a good week.
- Reggie Wayne referred to Downs as the best wide receiver in the drafts.
“I think he is someone who needs to be on your radar and you should be picking him up in deeper leagues.” 28:53
- San Francisco is seven and a half point road favorites in this matchup.
- Historically, Kyle Shanahan has had success against the Rams.
- Matthew Stafford had an impressive passing game with no touchdowns.
- Trevor Lawrence‘s game against Houston is an example of not producing points.
San Francisco Matchup Notes 30:51
- San Francisco players have limited fantasy start potential.
- Players like McCaffrey, Debo, and Aiyuk are recommended starts.
- Pukinakua missed practice for the opposing team.
- Van Jefferson had two impressive games followed by a poor performance.
- Tyler Higbee was a disappointment.
- The host is uncertain about playing any pass catchers from San Francisco.
“You know you don’t have a lot of start questions with San Francisco.”
Running Back Situation for 49ers 31:51
- The 49ers have a strong run defense.
- Cam Acres was expected to be the main running back but now the situation is unclear.
- Kyron Williams might be the starter and is favored over Cam Acres.
- However, if the workload is split, it’s best to look elsewhere for fantasy options.
“I’m not excited about any of the past catchers there and I’m less excited about the running backs than I am the past catchers.”
Matchup Preview: Giants vs. Cardinals 33:11
- The Giants are 0-1 while the Cardinals are also 0-1.
- The Giants are four-point road favorites.
- The Cardinals’ offense is not capable and their pressure rate is not significant.
- Daniel Jones is considered a startable option in this game.
“It’s a that that that feels more like that’s on the quarterback making bad decisions.”
- James Conner is a volume-based option but his calf injury is a concern.
- Saquon Barkley is expected to have a great matchup against the Cardinals.
- Barkley’s performance is typically better in road victories.
“Connor is a he’s a volume based running back to he he has talent but he’s still it’s just you’re playing him because he’s going to get all the work.”
Wide Receiver Options for Cardinals 36:28
- Hollywood Brown did not have a good performance and Michael Wilson ran more routes.
- The hosts are not interested in playing any Cardinals wide receivers.
“I’m not playing a single Cardinals Zach Hurts had the most targets pass catcher including it did Daniel Jones startable in this one.”
Jets vs. Cowboys Matchup 37:22
- The Jets are facing a tough matchup against the Cowboys.
- Zach Wilson‘s ability to score against the Cowboys is uncertain.
- Breece Hall will be on a pitch count and might not perform well in this game.
- The Cowboys’ defense is expected to be strong and not allow many points.
“The Cowboys defense has been great last year was very good.”
Matchup: Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Jets 38:41
- Both teams have strong defenses.
- Don’t overlook Dallas’s offense.
- The Jets defense performed well against the Buffalo Bills.
- Dak Prescott may struggle with turnovers.
“You know when looking at playing the Jets, the Jets defenses. I mean they just shut down the Buffalo Bills who are great offense.”
Start/Sit Decisions 39:29
- Garrett Wilson is a WR3 option.
- Decisions regarding Wilson can be tough.
- Consider popular start/sit decisions for Garrett Wilson based on the site.
“Garrett Wilson is a what this week. A wide receiver three ish. That would be some tough start seed decisions.”
Preference between Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook 39:13
Start/Sit Decision: Garrett Wilson or Zay Flowers 39:37
Start/Sit Decision: Mike Evans or Garrett Wilson 40:28
Matchup: Washington Commanders vs. Denver Broncos 40:32
- The game may not be high-scoring or fantasy-friendly.
- The Broncos defense is a strong play this week.
- Washington’s pass-catchers face a tough matchup.
- Cortland Sutton is the preferred option for starting.
“I’m really down on all the pass catchers in this game on the Denver side of the ball. I mean if you’re starting one, it’s clearly Cortland Sutton he is the one.”
Start/Sit Decision: John Dotson/McLaurin vs. Garrett Wilson 43:44
- Due to elevation and road game concerns, go with Garrett Wilson.
- Wilson is the safer choice.
“That’s really really tough. I think because you are split with McLaurin and Dotson in the elevation on the road I would go with Wilson.”
Monday Night Football: New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins 44:30
- Miami’s offense has potential based on Week 1.
- The Patriots defense is strong but could face challenges.
- Tua Tagovailoa may have improved protection.
- The over-under suggests a higher scoring game.
- Best to monitor Terron Armstead’s return for Miami.
“You don’t want to overemphasize what happened with Miami in Week 1, but the path is there for this to be the recipe weekly for Miami. The 46 and a half-point over-under is encouraging. Terran Armstead is coming back. We’ll see.”
Tua Tagovailoa‘s Performance and Injury History 46:34
- Tua Tagovailoa had a mid-game where he seemed to have a concussion but went back in.
- His performance after the injury was poor, as if he had forgotten how to play quarterback.
- Tua’s injury did not occur in the Buffalo game, but the details are not clear.
“There was the mid-game one where everyone watching the game was saying Tua has a concussion, what are you doing, and then he went back in the game and it was, he looked like a man who would like forgot how to play quarterback.”
Tua’s Track Record Against New England 47:14
- Tua Tagovailoa has a 3-0 record against New England in his career.
- Despite this, he has not been consistent and has had mediocre performances in other matchups.
- The speaker is giving Tua another chance based on his previous success against the Patriots.
“He’s also three and oh and three starts against New England in his career on the running back side though most are just a starter.”
Uncertainty in the 49ers Running Back Situation 47:23
- Salvon Ahmed is currently the number two running back for the 49ers.
- Devonta Freeman‘s active status is unclear as per Mike McDaniel’s quote.
- With Jeff Wilson returning in four weeks, the running back situation is uncertain and messy.
- The speaker suggests playing Raheem Mostert as the only viable option.
“Ahmed is seemingly the number two right now right and then we had a quote this morning from Mike McDaniel saying we’ll see as to whether Devonta Freeman is going to be active… the only one I play is Mostert and it’s not an enthusiastic start for him.”
Assessing the 49ers’ Passing Game and Running Back Roles 48:35
- The 49ers’ offense appears to favor passing the ball, evidenced by their game against the Lions.
- This means that Raheem Mostert‘s fantasy production relies heavily on big plays and touchdowns.
- Zach Moss may be a better starting option due to potentially more opportunities and goal-line work.
- The speaker changes their answer based on the football matchup and chooses Zach Moss over Raheem Mostert.
“What struck me the most in that game was the fact that they looked like a team that always wanted to pass the football… that’s why I kind of lean Moss… would you play Zach Moss with the plus matchup against Houston or he with the negative matchup against New England? I’d rather play Devonta Freeman if he’s inactive than Zach Moss.”
Ramon Ray Stevenson’s Usage and Potential Frustrations 49:14
- Ramon Ray Stevenson was on the field for 73% of snaps in the previous game.
- Despite Zeke’s presence, the speaker is not worried and believes Stevenson is the better play.
- Stevenson’s involvement in passing work makes him a strong fantasy option.
- The speaker anticipates games where Stevenson has the most work but Zeke ends up with touchdowns, limiting Stevenson’s fantasy points.
“The distribution of labor as you would say in week one for the running back position… Stevenson has the most work and Zeke is going to end up with like the touchdown or two and he’ll outscore Stevenson.”
Evaluating the Patriots’ Wide Receiver Options 50:32
- Kendrick Bourne ended up being more involved in the offense than JuJu Smith-Schuster.
- Devontae Parker’s availability is uncertain, which affects second-tier receiving options like Bourne.
- The speaker personally does not have confidence in starting Kendrick Bourne and would choose other players over him.
Hunter Henry as a Promising Tight End Option 51:43
- Hunter Henry is the speaker’s start of the week at the tight end position.
- The speaker’s sister also chose to start Henry over Hawkinson based on this recommendation.
- The speaker mentions that there is still a chance for Henry to outperform Hawkinson with potential touchdowns.
Saints vs. Panthers Matchup Overview 53:22
- The Saints are three-point road favorites against the Panthers.
- The Panthers have a brand new offense with a new quarterback.
- The offense struggled in Week 1, making it difficult to have high expectations for their performance against the Saints.
- Miles Sanders for the Eagles could be a target in fantasy due to his volume, but the matchup against the Saints defense may be tough.
“Saints are three-point road favorites… you’re not expecting big things… it’s only Miles Sanders… it’s a volume play only… the Saints defense is good across the board and it’s a divisional game with a low over under so you’re not expecting big things.”
Insights on the Patriots’ Running Back Situation 55:01
- Jamal Williams had a high volume of opportunities in Week 1, but his overall production was average.
- The speaker expects a similar workload for Williams in the upcoming game.
- Damien Harris had a good outing, but Ramon Ray Stevenson remains the better fantasy option due to his involvement in passing work.
“Jamal Williams was exactly what we thought he was… probably the same from him this week… Ramon Ray is a great play… he will do more on the passing work.”
Panthers running back situation 55:17
- The Panthers struggled on the ground in week one.
- Kendrick Miller’s availability will be crucial for the team.
“It wouldn’t surprise me if Jamal is still inefficient for them to see if Kendrick Miller can do anything.”
Goff’s Potential 01:04:43
- Jared Goff is considered a strong fantasy start of the week.
- Goff is expected to have a good offensive output against the Seattle Seahawks.
“I think we are getting Jared Goff with a good offensive output.”
Rookie Running Backs 01:04:57
- There is a focus on starting rookie running backs this week.
- Bijon and Jamir Gibbs are the chosen starters with a combined price of $7,900.
- They are being included in the lineup due to their home advantage and salary benefits.
“It’s time to get the rookies out there boys.”
Targeting Seyquan Barkley 01:05:27
- Seyquan Barkley is expected to perform well against the Cardinals.
- He has been paid up for and considered a good running back option.
“I have also paid up for Seyquan Barkley, I think he’s going to be good against the Cardinals.”
Value Picks at Running Back 01:05:42
- Damian Pierce is considered a good value pick at $5,600.
- Zach Moss is another value pick at $4,700 for the matchup against the Houston Texans.
“I’ve got Damian Pierce, my start of the week at $5,600, I think he’s a good value at home.”
Wide Receiver Selections 01:06:12
- The chosen starting wide receivers are Stefon Diggs, Zay Flowers, and Nico Collins.
- Stefon Diggs is being stacked with Josh Allen while Zay Flowers is priced at $5,000.
- Nico Collins is valued at $4,800 and provides good options for the fantasy lineup.
Tight End and Defense Picks 01:08:41
- For tight end, Sam LaPorta is chosen at $3,900, with hopes of finding slot receiver opportunities.
- The Jets defense is selected for $2,700 against the Dallas Cowboys, offering potential sacks and turnovers.
“I’m going with another rookie, Sam LaPorta, $3,900 at home in Detroit.”
Flex Hesitations and Defense Choice 01:08:58
- A flex position has not been finalized in the lineup.
- Zach Moss is considered a good value option at $4,700.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense is selected for $3,200 for the fantasy lineup.
“So at the flex, I don’t have one. Is it Zach Moss? He’s a good value of $4,700.”
“I have the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at $3,200, so I’m kind of going for the all-in approach.”