NFL DFS First Look at Salaries & Matchups for Week 8 (Fantasy Football)
Every week the First Look article gives you a taste of the slate and some of the more intriguing salaries that DraftKings and FanDuel release. The goal is to identify early-week cash game considerations, as well as potential tournament plays before we piece together the stacking options. On Tuesdays, I share some of these insights on the Fantasy Footballers DFS Podcast if you want further commentary on some of the salary standouts.
Here are the games for this week’s main slate* including team-implied totals (TIP) for each matchup.
*Totals are DraftKings Sportsbook as of the time of publishing.
For newcomers, the main slate for DFS includes the Sunday early (1:00 EST) and afternoon games (4:25 EST). At first glance, here are a couple of things to note:
- Off the Main Slate: TB, BUF, CHI, LAC, LV, DET
- Bye Week Teams: None
- At first glance, it can be a bit depressing without a single game at the 50 total mark. Geez, there are none currently over 47(!) on the week.
- The plays were condensed over the last few weeks with teams on bye but with a full slate and no London games, expect roster percentages to be a bit flatter in Week 8.
- Some of the totals were slightly bet up from the early Monday lines so don’t be too discouraged. There is value in games in the 45+ window.
- All salaries are DraftKings unless noted for FanDuel (FD).
- Jalen Hurts ($8200) and the Eagles offense doesn’t look perfect by any means but the matchup on the road against the Commanders should force their pass rate to skyrocket. The Commanders are tied for the 2nd most passing TDs (14) allowed, 2nd most fantasy points to opposing QBs and Hurts threw for 319 & 2 against them in Week 4.
- After a bonkers Week 7, Lamar Jackson ($8100, $8800-FD) is now priced up accordingly on both sites and now receives a cupcake matchup against the hapless Cardinals. Arizona is allowing a 1st down on 40.4 % of their opponent pass attempts, 31st in the NFL.
- After a rough game against Denver, I still want to put Jordan Love ($5700) on your radar at home against the Vikings. He’s a volatile player but the salary is doable in cash if you can close your eyes and wait until after the game ends.
- Brock Purdy ($5600) failed on Monday night but he is undervalued relative to his fantasy floor (19.4 DK ppg). If the Bengals can push the pace with Joe Burrow ($6000) and company, I’m open to using Purdy in tournaments.
- Don’t shoot the messenger but Derek Carr ($5500) and Gardner Minshew II ($5400) kinda make sense this week. 5-of-7 Colts games have hit the over this year and their defense is allowing 27.3 points per game, 30th in the NFL. Carr’s attempts over the last two weeks (50 & 55) are up and this Shane Steichen offense is intriguing from a pace standpoint.
- Sam Howell ($5200) is going to show up as a value this week when you factor in his salary, the elevated pass rate, and the fact the Eagles pass defense has some major holes in it. They rank 27th in schedule-adjusted fantasy points allowed to the QB position. He threw 41 times for 290 yards against Philadelphia on the road in Week 4 in a narrow 31-34 loss.