Week 8 Matchups + Big Bird Battle, Wheel of Shame!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 8 is underway! On today’s fantasy football podcast, matchup previews with lots of tough start/sit decisions! Plus, reactions to Thursday Night Football, and Mike spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for October 27th, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Episode Number and Future Musical 00:55
- The episode being watched is number 1491.
- The hosts mention that episode 1500 will be a musical episode called “Fantasy Footballers the Musical” and that one of the songs will be “Once Upon a Time I Sat Gabe Davis,” performed by one of the hosts.
“This is show 1491. We are nine episodes away from show 1500. And that will be Fantasy Footballers the Musical. I’m performing that [song] in a lot of places.”
Discussion on Gabe Davis 01:27
- The hosts discuss the performance of Gabe Davis, who had a successful game with 9 catches for 87 yards and a touchdown.
- They mention that many fantasy managers benched Davis despite his impressive performance.
“You know I love Gabe Davis. He was a highly drafted player for me. I’ve got him in several leagues… Even though you shouldn’t, you kind of root against him when you bench a guy… It’s always tough as a fantasy manager… Even though it’s you shouldn’t, you shouldn’t… You want your player to show up. You want to have made the right decision.”
Frustrations with Red Zone Playcalling 04:58
- The hosts express frustrations with the Buffalo Bills‘ goal-line playcalling.
- They mention that relying on a bigger back, like Latavius Murray, may not be the most effective strategy.
“It’s like this old school mentality… I just don’t think that’s remotely true… It’s really frustrating when these teams, you know, especially when it’s the smaller back… And I just don’t think that’s remotely true.”
Inefficiency of Bills’ Goal-Line Offense 06:52
- The hosts highlight the inefficiency of the Buffalo Bills‘ goal-line offense.
- They mention that the team’s practice routines may be contributing to their poor performance in goal-line situations.
“Bill’s goal-line offense in the last two years… Whatever practice you’re doing is bottom of the league practice around the goal line… So Rashad White was the leading receiver… No one else got involved.”
Performance of Chris Godwin and Mike Evans 07:03
- The hosts discuss the performance of Chris Godwin and Mike Evans.
- They note that Godwin scored a touchdown after a long streak without one.
- They also mention that Evans had a slow second half but made a great catch for a touchdown.
Friendly Rivalry in a Dynasty League 07:30
- The hosts discuss a friendly rivalry between two of the hosts in a dynasty league.
- They mention that their teams, led by Josh Allen and Mike Evans respectively, had impressive performances.
Overall, this segment of the video discussed various topics including an introduction to the episode, an upcoming musical episode, analysis of Gabe Davis‘ performance, frustrations with goal-line playcalling, and the performance of Chris Godwin and Mike Evans.
- The Houston Texans, who are 3-3, will be facing the winless Carolina Panthers at 0-6.
- Both teams are coming off a bye week.
- The Texans are three and a half point road favorites.
- The over-under for this game is set at 43.
“It’s a tough one for Cardinals fans because the Cardinals are one and six and they’re the only one win team in football. Carolina is the only winless team. The Cardinals have the Houston pick, but if Houston wins, which is this is one of those games where I’m sorry, if Carolina wins, Cardinals slide into a tie for that first selection.”
Pay attention to Adam Thielen‘s targets 15:25
- Adam Thielen has been consistently targeted and is performing at a high level.
- If Thielen’s targets decrease significantly in the upcoming game, it may indicate a change in his usage.
“If it comes out and he’s got six targets this game, then I will take that immediately as a new normal.”
Trading high on Thielen 16:05
- Considering Thielen’s impressive numbers, it could be wise to trade him for maximum value, regardless of potential changes in the team.
- Thielen is an older player and his performance in the second half of the season may not match his early-season success.
“I think you could make the argument that trading high on Thielen, regardless of that potential change, is the wise thing to do.”
Consider Chuba Hubbard 16:27
- Mike Davis has not delivered on preseason expectations, making Chuba Hubbard a potential play in fantasy football.
- If you have both Miles Sanders and Chuba Hubbard on your roster, it is advisable to play Hubbard until Sanders proves he is healthy.
“I would play Chuba. If I have both, I’m going to play Chuba over Miles until Miles proves to me that he is healthy, ready to go.”
Watch out for rookie Jonathan Mingo 17:33
- Rookie wide receiver Jonathan Mingo could be an interesting option to consider, especially with a potential change in the play-calling.
- Mingo, a second-round pick, may see an increase in opportunities going into the second half of the season.
“If rookie wide receiver Jonathan Mingo is out there on the waiver wire, he’s someone who I have interest in.”
Bryce Young‘s progression 18:12
- As the season progresses, quarterback Bryce Young‘s performance is expected to improve.
- Although his numbers have been decent so far, there is potential for him to have a second-half breakout.
“He’s completing over 63% of his passes. So like that is the other potential situation for them.”
Dameon Pierce and the running game 18:54
- Damian Pierce has a favorable matchup this week and could have a productive performance.
- The Panthers have struggled to stop the run, making Pierce a good play.
“The matchup is good this week. It’s a very, very good matchup. The Panthers have not been able to stop the run.”
- Dalton Schultz‘s success may have been influenced by the absence of Tank Dell.
- With Dell back, Schultz’s production may see a decline.
Robert Woods‘ target volume 20:45
- Robert Woods is seeing a high number of targets but has been unable to convert them to significant production.
- Despite the target volume, Woods’ lack of output raises concerns.
“Robert Woods is sitting up at the tippy top of targets. It’s so bizarre because he’s not catching a lot of them.”
Kareem Hunt has been limited in practice for several weeks.
- It is uncertain if Hunt will start or it will be all Kareem.
“But Cooper’s in your lineup and then Kareem Hunt…”
Jerome Ford‘s Injury 23:12
- Jerome Ford has a low-grade high ankle sprain.
- Ford has been seen back at practice doing individual drills, but it does not guarantee his readiness to play.
“So we did see video of Jerome Ford who was listed as a low-grade high ankle sprain…”
- If Jerome Ford plays, Pierre Strong‘s role as a fill-in running back would be diminished.
- Pay attention to the updates on Ford’s status.
“Now I’m watching them right now, but if you picked up Pierre strong in the hopes that he could be a fill-in for you at the running back for an RB two or something like that. Yeah, that’s wrong. If Jerome Ford is playing that that’s that’s done.”
Kareem Hunt‘s Status 23:59
“So pay attention to that Kareem Hunt‘s probably in no matter what?”
High-Grade Low Ankle Sprain vs Low-Grade High Ankle Sprain 24:05
- A high-grade low ankle sprain is considered worse than a low-grade high ankle sprain.
“What’s worse a high-grade low ankle sprain or a low-grade high ankle sprain? Oh, I think that’s a high-grade low ankle sprain would be worse.”
- Elijah Moore averages 7.2 worthless targets per game.
- It is advised not to play him and consider selling or trading him based on his high target volume.
“Okay, Elijah Moore 7.2 worthless targets per game. Mm-hmm. Don’t play him and yeah sell sell him trade him on the basis that he gets a lot of targets.”
- Kenneth Walker missed practice for the second consecutive day due to a calf injury.
- Zach Charbonnet, who had a full practice, could potentially seize the opportunity against a tough matchup.
- It is still recommended to start Kenneth Walker if he is active.
“Okay, Kenneth Walker didn’t practice for a second consecutive day with the calf injury while Zach Charbonnet is a full practice. You could have Zach Charbonnet‘s debut opportunity against a terrible matchup. Yeah, yeah, it is unfortunate.”
Tyler Lockett‘s Injury 25:54
- Tyler Lockett missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday due to a hamstring injury.
- Given his recurring hamstring problems and the unfavorable matchup, it is advisable to bench Lockett and find a suitable alternative.
“Well, and you might not have Tyler lock it. He did not practice Wednesday. He did not practice Thursday. This is a hamstring if you’ve got a hamstring problem keeping you out of a Thursday practice.”
- The Kansas City Chiefs are favored by seven points against the Denver Broncos.
- Despite playing in Denver and the Broncos’ previous tough performance, the Chiefs are expected to secure a victory.
- Patrick Mahomes should be started as he has never lost an AFC West road game.
“Kansas City is six and one they take on the Denver Broncos who are two and five the DraftKings sportsbook line is Kansas City minus seven.”
Rondale Moore‘s Snaps 29:22
- Rondale Moore‘s snap count has been increasing, demonstrating his potential as Patrick Mahomes‘ primary wide receiver.
- Though the matchup is not ideal, Moore is a viable start given his increasing involvement and upside.
“Those snaps for Rashi rice. They came at the expense of Kaderis Tony who’s down to 19%. Too high. I believe it is too high now Kelsey. I would play him. I guess the matchups. Okay.”
Courtland Sutton‘s Performance 30:23
- Cortland Sutton has been a consistent fantasy asset this season, currently on pace for 850 yards and 12 touchdowns.
- While his performance seems impressive, it is unlikely to be sustainable for the rest of the season.
- Sutton can be started over Jerry Judy, who is not a favorable option for the current matchup.
“Sutton has like five touchdowns. It’s I looked at this. It’s fine. This guy. It’s the it is the fakest like quality fantasy asset of the season right now. 850 and 12 is his pace.”
Javonte Williams‘ Performance 31:07
- Javante Williams has been scoring fantasy points despite not being the primary wide receiver.
- He has been getting a lot of opportunities but is not the top wide receiver on the team.
“The fantasy points being scored and he’s the poster child right now for he shouldn’t be” “Scoring as much as the opportunities. He’s being given. So I’m still not I’m not putting him in like he’s the wide receiver”
Concerns About Javonte Williams 31:27
- Javante Williams has not scored any touchdowns so far this season, whether in the passing or ground game.
- Despite his performance in terms of efficiency, the overall offense and the emergence of other running backs raise concerns.
“Javante Williams is at the top of that list like he’s not gotten into the end zone even one time this year in the passing game” “Or in the ground game” “You know, it’s fair to say like you’re gonna come back slower off of a major injury” “But did you say no? I said no because I don’t believe in this offense as a whole and” “He hasn’t really looked special and with McLaughlin coming on. I think that” “McLaughlin looks like the better back so coming off now. I” “Believe that right now you’re you’re talking about getting a at best 50% of the running back room” “On a bad offense. So I’m just I don’t see the I don’t see the path for a big explosive” “Great second half of the year for Javante”
- Baltimore Ravens are 9.5-point road favorites against the Arizona Cardinals.
- Baltimore’s offense looked dominant in their previous game.
- Baltimore Ravens‘ defense has been consistently good throughout the season.
- Arizona Cardinals lack depth and have recently lost key offensive pieces.
“The Baltimore Ravens are five and two they take on the one and six Arizona Cardinals” “They are who we thought they were so just for perspective like Baltimore is nine and a half point road favorites here” “Baltimore’s offense looked unquestionably dominant last week. It was the first time do that. It was the first time they looked that way. Yeah” “This may be a murder of Cardinals” “the Cardinals at this point like they were barely capable of Having enough like they barely had enough pieces to move the ball” “The Baltimore Ravens defense has just been very very good all season Even” “when they’ve dealt with injuries, they’ve been very good” “Without the talent on the Cardinals side of the ball”
Start/Sit Decisions for Baltimore Ravens 36:41
- Hollywood Brown is still a viable option despite his recent performance.
- TEs Trey McBride and Foster Moreau could be considered if desperate.
- Other waiver options such as Schultz and Ferg ad may be better choices.
“You could start Hollywood Brown. He hasn’t been good the last two weeks” “I was gonna ask the nobody the when you’re looking at the Ravens defense, you know It’s over the last six weeks worst matchup for quarterback six worst for wide receivers third for tight ends” “Trey McBride is in play if you’re desperate to tie it into me this year” “While I agree with what you’re saying about Trey McBride, I think there are better options available” “Lamar Of course Gus Edwards my start of the week Zay flowers my start of the week” “You know you couldn’t you can kick that like would you rather play D. Markado or take a shot with Justice Hill?”
“The Baltimore Ravens defense has just been very very good all season” “I kind of like it. I kind of like it. Mike’s alright. I kind of like it” “I believe I would still be starting Hollywood Brown, but outside of him”
- The Cincinnati Bengals, with a 3-3 record, are set to face the 5-2 San Francisco 49ers.
- The hosts discuss the shifting betting lines, indicating that Brock Purdy may be expected to play for the 49ers.
- The over-under for the game is 43.5, and the expectations for offensive performance have changed since the line movement.
“The DK Sportsbook line now San Francisco minus four” “The over-under is 43 and a half.”
Brandon Aiyuk‘s Performance 40:17
- The hosts discuss the recent struggles of the San Francisco 49ers and the impact it may have on players like Brandon Iyuk.
- Despite the team’s funk, they consider Iyuk to be a solid start for fantasy teams in the upcoming matchup.
“He’s a full start for me as well.”
Speculating on Brock Purdy‘s Performance 40:51
- The hosts speculate on the performance of Brock Purdy, the 49ers’ quarterback, based on his head injury at the end of the previous game.
- They mention his missed opportunities and imprecise throws, potentially related to his injury.
“I can’t explain what happened to Brock Purdy at the end of the game”
San Francisco 49ers‘ Offensive Performance 41:40
- The hosts discuss the recent offensive output of the San Francisco 49ers, highlighting their five straight games of scoring 30 or more points.
- However, they acknowledge that the 49ers’ defense is formidable, which may pose a challenge for the Cincinnati Bengals.
“I don’t think they’re going to flat out dominate the Cincinnati Bengals“
- The hosts analyze the performance of T Higgins and Joe Burrow from the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Despite the tough matchup against the 49ers, they consider both players viable options for fantasy teams.
- They mention the improvement in Higgins’ condition during the bye week, which adds to his potential value.
“I’m not afraid of starting Joe Burrow” “I would scoop them up now even though the 49ers have a great defense”
- The 2-5 Chicago Bears are set to face the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday Night Football.
- The hosts discuss the quarterbacks for both teams, noting that Tyson Bajant will start for the Bears against Justin Herbert.
- The outcome of the game could potentially lead to the Bears having a better record than the Chargers.
“If the Bears win the ball game, they have a better record than the Chargers. Oh”
Austin Ekeler‘s Usage 44:42
- The hosts discuss the frustrations surrounding Austin Eckler’s usage in the Los Angeles Chargers‘ offense.
- They highlight the absence of Mike Williams and Joshua Palmer, which could result in an increased role for Eckler in the passing game.
“Austin Eckler is going to be used in the passing game a ton”
Joshua Palmer‘s Injury 45:31
- The hosts mention the disappointment of relying on Joshua Palmer for fantasy production, only for him to be limited by a knee issue.
- They discuss the importance of monitoring his practice status and the potential impact on his availability for Sunday night’s game.
“If he practices Friday, you’re fine”
Impact on Gerald Everett 46:49
- The hosts speculate on the potential impact of Joshua Palmer‘s injury on Gerald Everett‘s usage in the game.
- They mention Everett being limited by an injury but suggest that the Chargers could rely more on their ground game instead.
“They could dominate on the ground in this game and not do as much through the air”
Darrington Evans and D’Onta Foreman 46:58
- Darrington Evans has been performing well with Travis Homer healthy.
- Deontra Forman scored three times last week and looked great.
“I’m starting Deontra Forman this week with Rashaad Penny active.”
Concerns about Foreman’s playing time 47:13
- There is a chance that Rashaad Penny could get significant work and Foreman becomes a backup.
- However, the host predicts the opposite, with Foreman being the primary back and Penny as the change of pace back.
“Foreman will be the first and second down back and that Penny will be the change of pace back and two-minute drill guy.”
- DJ Moore has been productive over the past two weeks, with 17 targets.
- However, he did not finish in the top 24 in either week and only had 50 yards in each game.
“The good is that he had 17 targets, but the bad is that he didn’t finish in the top 24 and had only 50 yards in each game.”
- DJ Moore‘s average depth of target is 2.1 yards, indicating short and limited passing opportunities.
“That smells like garbage. It’s stinky stinky cock.”
- Despite his average depth of target, DJ Moore is still recommended to be in the fantasy line-up due to his high target volume.
- It is doubtful that owners have a better option than Moore.
“DJ Moore is in your lineup no matter what. It’s doubtful that you have a better option.”
Matchup preview: Raiders vs. Lions 49:09
- The Las Vegas Raiders with a 3-4 record are facing the 5-2 Detroit Lions.
- Detroit is favored by eight points, with an over-under of 46.
“The DraftKings sportsbook line is Detroit minus eight with an over-under of 46.”
Jared Goff as a start of the week 49:22
- Jared Goff is the host’s start of the week, averaging 27.3 fantasy points per game at home since 2022.
- They trust Dan Campbell to get the Lions ready for a rebound performance at home.
“Jared Goff is my start of the week. I trust Dan Campbell to get them ready to perform at home.”
Fantasy outlook for Josh Reynolds 50:36
- With Marvin Jones retired, Josh Reynolds has the opportunity to receive more playing time.
- He has been consistently solid throughout the season and is recommended as a spot start.
Josh Jacobs as the RB1 for the Raiders 51:25
- Despite being out of shape, Josh Jacobs is still the RB15 on the season and receives a high volume of opportunities.
- His workload is expected to remain substantial in the upcoming game.
“Josh Jacobs is still the RB15 on the season. He gets more opportunities per game than almost anyone.”
Updates on player injuries and availability 52:44
- Zejon’s status is out.
- Deontay Johnson says he’s going to play.
- Kyler Murray‘s activation for the week is uncertain.
- Kareem Hunt is not listed on the injured report and is expected to play.
“Zejon’s is out. Deontay Johnson says he’s gonna play. We’ll see if Kyler Murray comes back this week. Cream Hunt is good to go.”
“This is very good news for anyone facing Kareem Hunt.”
Quarterback selections 57:07
- Jason chooses Lamar Jackson as his quarterback for Week 8.
- Lamar Jackson has a price of $8,100 in Draft Kings.
Running back selections 58:01
- Jason selects Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara as his running backs.
- Christian McCaffrey has a price of $9,200, and Alvin Kamara is priced at $7,300.
Wide receiver selections 58:37
- Jason picks Jamar Chase, Christian Kirk, and Christian Wadood as his wide receivers.
- Jamar Chase costs $8,100, Christian Kirk costs $5,900, and Christian Wadood costs $5,100.
Tight end, flex, and defense selections 59:46
- Jason chooses Trey McBride as his tight end, Brandon Powell as his flex, and the New England Patriots‘ defense.
- Trey McBride costs $2,800, Brandon Powell is priced at $3,200, and Patriots’ defense costs $2,000.
- Jason’s tight end selection is Ferguson.
Mike’s lineup selections 01:00:58
- Mike selects Ferg Daddy as his tight end, Bruce Hall as his flex, and the Denver Broncos‘ defense.
- Ferg Daddy costs $3,600, Bruce Hall costs $6,200, and Broncos’ defense is priced similarly.
- Mike’s tight end selection is Traffic Bright.
“At tight end I’ve got Ferg Daddy at $3,600… My flex I have Bruce Hall… and then I went with the Broncos defense… Traffic Bright at tight end because it flex I have Bruce Hall”
- The hosts thank the listeners and say goodbye.
- Mike will finally be freed from his mummy face punishment.
“Thank you for joining us. We’ll let Mike escape from this pretty terrible punishment. Goodbye everybody. Have a good weekend. Goodbye.”