Week 4 Matchups + Weekend Winners, Wheel of Shame
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 4 is underway! On today’s fantasy football podcast, lots of matchup previews and tough start/sit decisions! Plus, Lions vs Packers recap and NFL News, before Andy spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for September 29th, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Welcome and Recap 00:00
- Andy Holloway will be humiliated at the end of the episode.
- There was a Thursday night game to react to.
- Al Borland will share his thoughts on the game.
“Make sure you skip ahead and watch him be an idiot.”
Reaction to Thursday Night Game 01:36
- The Detroit Lions beat the Green Bay Packers.
- Packers struggled with their running game.
- David Montgomery had a career-high 32 carries for the Lions.
- Montgomery was dominant and efficient.
- Jamir Gibbs had limited touches but is fitting into a role for the Lions.
“The Lions came out and they stomped the Packers…the pass rush destroyed the offensive line…the momentum was on the side of the Packers to begin the game…the Detroit Lions went full Monty” “Jamir Gibbs is on the edge of RB2, most likely in the flex type of consideration moving forward…David Montgomery is a better player than Jamal Williams…David Montgomery had a subpar fantasy day.”
Jahmyr Gibbs‘ Performance Compared to Other Running Backs 08:51
- Jamir Gibbs has the same number of touches as Christian McCaffrey in the first four weeks.
- Gibbs is more talented than many timeshare running backs, including Kenny Gainwell and Jaylen Warren.
- He is even more talented than Damian Pierce for the rest of the season.
“Touch-wise, Jamir Gibbs is tied with Christian McCaffrey through four weeks. He is a more talented player than Kenny Gainwell in a timeshare. He is a more talented player than a lot of timeshare running backs. You know, I’d rather have Jamir Gibbs than Jaylen Warren. Probably even more than Damian Pierce over the remainder of the season.”
Long Season Perspective for Fantasy Managers 09:05
- Despite Gibbs’ underwhelming performance thus far, it is important to remember that it is a long season.
- Mike emphasized this point and compared it to Jonathan Taylor‘s situation.
“It is not what fantasy managers or myself hoped for, but it is a long season. He (Gibbs) is a very talented player. Mike said it really well yesterday when we were talking about Jonathan Taylor and it’s just, you’ve got to keep in mind, it is a long season. Everything feels like what happens the first month. That’s what’s going to happen the rest of the way. Never is like that unless you’re Christian McCaffrey.”
Breakdown of Romeo Doubs‘ Performance 10:05
- Romeo Dobbs had a successful fantasy day with the help of garbage time.
- He had a slow start in the game, but his performance improved later on.
- The Lions’ game script did not favor passing, but Dobbs still managed to excel.
“Romeo Dobbs, another big fantasy day. It didn’t look like, you know, if you streamed Jordan Love or you played Romeo Dobbs, the first half of that game, you were like, well, week five everybody. But garbage time is a spectacular thing…It worked out for Romeo Dobbs.”
DJ Chark and Bryce Young 17:07
- DJ Chark should be avoided due to the combination of his hamstring injury and Bryce Young expected to play.
- There are plenty of other options to consider.
“I don’t think you need to be looking DJ Chark‘s way. There are plenty of other options.”
DJ Chark and Andy Dalton 17:27
- DJ Chark was disappointing last week due to Andy Dalton being the quarterback.
- The 11 targets he received came in the Andy Dalton game, and it was expected that those targets would be better.
“The 11 targets were in the Andy Dalton game and you would expect those to be better.”
Cam Akers debut and Alexander Mattison 18:04
- Cam Acres is expected to make his debut.
- Starting Cam Acres is not a question.
- The workload of Alexander Madison is unknown, making it uncertain if he should be started.
- Despite fumbling issues, Alexander Madison had a productive game last week.
“So the question is, I do not think anyone is even questioning, can I start Cam? You don’t start Cam Acres even though it’s a plus matchup so far on this season… What does it do to Alexander Madison? Can you start him? Alexander Madison was Alexander the Great last week. Had a fantastic game despite fumbling after every play was over.”
Fumbling Issues on the Team 18:56
- The team has a fumbling problem, not just Alexander Madison.
- The coach issued a warning to the team about fumbling and benching players.
“This whole team has a fumbling problem… The team did issue, the coach gave the warning that went out and the public got it too of people better stop fumbling or you’re going to hit the bench.”
Damian Pierce and Houston’s Run Defense 19:48
- Dameon Pierce should be played this week due to Houston’s weak run defense.
- The Houston offensive line is still decimated, but when healthier, Damian Pierce could have a brighter future.
“It did give me the small hope that when that offensive line gets pieced back together a little bit, we could have a brighter future for Damian Pierce because the offense has been able to move the football… You’re probably playing him this week.”
More Running Back Start/Sit Decisions 21:46
- Najee Harris should be started due to the opportunities he’s been getting.
- Jaylen Warren can be flexed, but Damian Pierce is the preferred option between the two.
“You should start (Najee) when you’re getting the opportunities he’s getting in this matchup… I play Damian Pierce.”
Chargers vs Raiders Matchup 23:58
- The Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers are both one and two.
- The Chargers are favored by five and a half points at home.
“Raiders and Chargers are both one and two… The Chargers as five and a half point home favorites.”
##’ Offense and Defense 24:20
- The Chargers’ offense is scoring a lot of points, but their defense is causing them to lose games.
- It’s important for the Chargers to score a lot of points.
“It’s a delight…their offense, it’s doing enough, is scoring a lot of points. Their defense is making sure that they find ways to lose games.”
Replacing Mike Williams 24:42
- With Mike Williams out for the year with an ACL tear, fantasy players are looking for who will step up in his place.
- Keenan Allen is not expected to get 20 targets a week.
- The current options include Palmer, Quentin Johnston, and the tight ends Gerald Everett and Donald Parham.
“Fantasy players are looking for the who’s going to step up situation…I do not believe that Ken Allen’s getting 20 targets a week…The other options right now, week one, it’s probably going to be Palmer as the player that will receive the most targets snaps in replacement of Mike Williams.”
Options to Replace Mike Williams 25:11
- Quentin Johnston is expected to see more action and has big play potential.
- Joshua Palmer may have more PPR value and is a safer option to play in week one.
- There may also be some involvement from the tight ends Gerald Everett and Donald Parham.
“But they have come out and said Quentin Johnston is going to see more action, which, oh, I mean, obviously, he’s better…In week one, if I had both, I’d be playing Palmer…You’re probably going to see maybe a little spillover into the tight end position.”
Running Back Situation in Los Angeles 26:35
- Austin Ekeler‘s availability is uncertain due to his limited practice and inability to cut and turn well.
- If Ekeler is able to play, he should be started over other alternatives.
- Joshua Kelly is not a preferred option and should only be considered in emergency situations.
- There may be better options available on waivers or benches, such as Latavius Murray.
“The Conundrum is answered very easily, which is if Austin Ekeler is able to go right now, he’s been practicing in a limited fashion…If he is out there, you’re obviously going to play him…Joshua Kelly is really bad…I think I lean Latavius Murray.”
Managing Austin Ekeler‘s Uncertainty 27:47
- If Austin Ekeler‘s availability is uncertain and his game is later in the day, it’s important to evaluate other pivot options based on their game times.
- By Sunday morning, it is expected to know whether Ekeler will be active or not.
- Some pivot options could include players from the Raiders-Chargers, Cardinals-49ers, or Patriots-Cowboys matchups.
“Thankfully, it’s not necessarily the last game of the week…But I do expect that by Sunday morning, we will know whether Ekeler’s going to be active or not…I bet everything on Ekeler.”
Evaluating Dak Prescott as a Fantasy Starter 30:23
- Dak Prescott may not be a recommended fantasy starter based on recent performances and game plan considerations.
- The Patriots defense has looked strong and has been limiting opposing quarterbacks to only 10 points per game.
- There may be better options available on waivers to play over Dak Prescott.
“Dak right now, he’s not a quarterback that I am actively trying to get into my lineup…The Patriots defense has looked outstanding…This is not the week to play Dak.”
Dak Prescott‘s Inconsistency 30:43
- Dak Prescott‘s performance can be inconsistent as there are games where he is not needed due to a strong running game and defense, and there are games where he underperforms when he is needed.
- It’s difficult to predict when Prescott will have a strong performance, making him a risky start.
- Other options on waivers may offer more guaranteed production and a higher ceiling.
“So there’s this percentage of time that they don’t need Dak because the running game and the defense is enough. Then there’s a percentage of time where they do need Dak and he doesn’t perform…It’s one third of the time. So that puts me into hesitation and looking for a little bit more guaranteed production and ceiling.”
Evaluating the Patriots’ defense with Jake Ferguson 32:34
- The Patriots’ defense is discussed in relation to the tight end position.
- Jake Ferguson is mentioned as a potential option for fantasy managers to consider.
“The Patriots shut down the tight end position.” “What about Jake Ferguson this week?”
Preference for Chargers over Patriots 32:45
- The hosts express a preference for the Los Angeles Chargers in terms of fantasy options due to a high over/under rating in their upcoming game.
- Not much passing volume is expected from either team.
“What about those options with the Chargers?” “I think I would rather go with the Chargers in a high over/under this game.” “I’m not expecting a ton of passing volume from either team.”
Limited pass catchers in the Cowboys vs Patriots game 33:04
- In the Cowboys vs Patriots game, the hosts believe that only CD Lam stands out as a valuable pass catcher.
- They advise against starting any other wide receivers from these teams.
“If you’re not a superstar, if you’re not CD Lam, I think CD Lam is the only pass catch I want on both sides of the ball here.” “Yeah, I wouldn’t start any of the White Outs in New England.”
Assessing Ramondre Stevenson’s performance and outlook 33:17
- The hosts analyze Ramondre Stevenson’s performance and outlook for the season.
- While he has been a poor rusher so far, he is still seen as a valuable pass catcher with goal-line opportunities.
- The hosts express confidence in Stevenson’s abilities.
“If you’re not CD Lam, I think CD Lam is the only pass catch I want on both sides of the ball here.” “Ramondre, he’s the RB16 on the air. Ramondre is … what? Is he a disappointment? Is he neutral? I think he’s pretty neutral.” “He’s a 73% snap type of player who catches passes, should see goal-line opportunity.” “This is the Cowboys where I think you’re right. Just the ceiling doesn’t seem very high in this matchup.”
“I am 100% confident that Ramondre Stevenson has a great season.”
Matchup preview: Cardinals vs 49ers 35:08
- The preview shifts to the matchup between the Arizona Cardinals and the San Francisco 49ers.
- The Cardinals are currently 1-2 and the 49ers are undefeated.
- The Cardinals have a low implied point total in this game.
“The Cardinals are 1-2 going to San Francisco to take on the San Francisco 49ers 3-0.” “The Over/Under is 44, that gives the Cardinals an implied point total of 15.” “We’re staring down this game, and now we see Hollywood Brown has been added to the injury report with a thumb injury.”
Potential options in the Cardinals vs 49ers matchup 35:34
- The hosts discuss potential fantasy options for the Cardinals vs 49ers matchup.
- Rhondda Elmore is mentioned as a potential option if Kiante Ingram is unable to play.
- Rondell Moore is considered a ceiling play, but caution is advised as his production may not be consistent.
“I was going to bring up Rhondda Elmore as, like, if you’re flexing Josh Kelly, if you’re flexing a low-ceiling option, they’ve already come out and said that Rhondda Elmore is going to start taking snaps in the backfield.” “You would start Rondell Moore over Elijah Mitchell in the flex?” “But I mean, you could go, you could goose pretty good on Rondell Moore.”
“He could break something off.”
Evaluation of James Conner‘s matchup 36:30
- James Conner‘s matchup is discussed, acknowledging the low implied point total for the Cardinals.
- However, the hosts emphasize that Conner is matchup-proof and should be started.
“They have an implied point total of 15 every week.” “He’s matchup-proof.” “You have to start him.”
Expectations for Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk 37:12
- The hosts discuss the availability of Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk.
- There is uncertainty regarding Deebo Samuel‘s status, but he is still startable.
- Brandon Aiyuk is expected to be somewhat banged up.
“On the other side of the ball, are you guys currently expecting no Debo?” “Yeah, I am currently expecting no Debo and I am currently expecting a somewhat banged up, Brandon.” “You definitely can still start him.”
“Probably George Kittle should be the primary benefactor here.”
Elijah Mitchell‘s involvement and opportunities 38:31
- The hosts mention that Elijah Mitchell had 14 opportunities in the previous week.
- They acknowledge that Mitchell’s involvement surprised them.
“That number surprises me.” “I knew he was involved.” “I kept stealing my sweet, sweet CMC snaps.”
Matchup Preview: Kansas City Chiefs vs. New York Jets 00:23
- Kansas City Chiefs are 2-1 and will face the New York Jets on Sunday night football.
- The hosts discuss the anticipation of watching rookie quarterback Zach Wilson in prime time.
- There is a report that Zach Wilson purchased ice cream for his teammates to win them over.
- The hosts speculate on the details of the ice cream purchase but find it to be a nice gesture.
- However, they emphasize that Wilson’s performance on the field is what matters.
- The importance of this game being on prime time is highlighted as any struggles by Wilson will be highly scrutinized.
- The hosts discuss the challenges of running the ball against the Chiefs defense.
- They mention the low fantasy potential of Jets running backs Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook in this matchup.
- Jason suggests playing other running backs over Breece Hall due to the tough matchup.
- The hosts move on to discuss other fantasy options and matchups, including wide receiver Garrett Wilson.
“You absolutely can bench Garrett Wilson if you have other good options.”
Matchup analysis: Mahomes in the game 45:24
- With Mahomes in the game, the Chiefs blew out the Bears, winning 40 to nothing.
- Pacheco had his highest snap share of the season while Mahomes was playing.
“They blew out the Bears, 40 to nothing or whatever it was.”
Wide receiver options 45:39
- Tony has been dealing with injuries, making him a risky option.
- Skymore and Rashi Rice are potential dart throws.
- Skymore’s target share has increased every week.
“Yeah, I would agree. I don’t think you need to shoot a dart here.”
Considerations for Rashee Rice and Skyy Moore 46:12
- Rice is a preferred option, but Skymore’s target share is increasing each week.
- Although Mahomes played for a significant portion of the game, Rice’s potential is still minimal.
“Well, high, I mean, factoring in the fact that Mahomes played like 70% of the game. Maybe there’s hope, but it’s very minimal.”
Taylor Swift / Travis Kelce 46:52
- Taylor Swift is expected to be in attendance at the Chiefs game.
Jaxon Smith-Njigba performance and potential 52:32
- Jackson Smith and Jigba has been disappointing so far this season.
- It is unlikely that he should be started in Week 4.
- He has the bye week next week, making it even more difficult to justify holding onto him.
- However, Smith and Jigba is a talented player who could have a breakout at some point.
“I don’t really see a world where I’m wanting to wait… If you’re not gonna play him this week, they’ve got the bi-week next week… I don’t have doubts yet of JSN. It’s just a matter of when.”
Roster spots and holding onto Jaxon Smith-Njigba 53:26
- There is value in keeping Jackson Smith and Jigba on the roster despite his underwhelming performance.
- However, roster spots are valuable, so managers should consider dropping him for more productive players if necessary.
- It’s important to keep an eye on other players like Charbonnet and Rossi Rice who may be more promising options.
“You figure you’re not gonna start him today… And even if he has a good game and then they have the bi-week and then they come back, you’re not gonna start him against the bangles… I have continued to hold him… I would drop JSN for Charbonnet… I’m not willing to go to the, it’s the Baltimore defense.”
Daniel Jones as a start and wide receiver options for the Giants 54:51
- Daniel Jones is a viable start in Week 4 due to the favorable matchup against the Seahawks.
- One of the Giants’ wide receivers is likely to have a strong game and potentially score a long touchdown.
- Sterling Shepard, Darius Slayton, and Jaylen Hyatt are among the available options.
“Daniel Jones on the other side, Mike has him, or Jason has him as a start of the week because Seattle’s been so inept against quarterbacks… Somebody’ll help Daniel Jones… I think one of those wide receivers has a really good game, has, gets loose for a long touchdown.”
Updates on player availability and injuries 55:08
- Devonte Smith returned to practice after dealing with an illness.
- Zay Jones has been ruled out for the upcoming game.
- Bryce Young will start as quarterback.
- Miles Sanders is questionable.
- DeSean Watson’s situation is uncertain, and there is a possibility of him not playing.
Alternative option if Deshaun Watson is unavailable 55:29
- Dorian Thompson Robinson, a lesser-known player, could be considered as a streaming option if DeSean Watson does not play.
- He rushed for over 600 yards per year in college and has shown potential.
- This could be a speculative play if Watson is ruled out.
“Dorian Thompson Robinson out of UCLA… Rushed for over 600 yards a year in college… Not on a lot of people’s radar… Jarragov scored 15 last night. If Watson gets ruled out and you had Dak Prescott. Yeah, I’d play Dak.”
Discount offer for the DFS Pass 56:17
- A discount offer is currently available for the DFS Pass.
- The code “winner23” provides a 20% discount on the pass, which includes access to premium content, projections, and the DFS optimizer.
- This offer ends on October 1st.
“We have the first time ever discount that we are throwing out there for the DFS Pass… You can go to dfspass.com, use code winner23… It is truly an unfathomable value in this world because it’s not a monthly fee… So use the code, save some cash.”
“It is truly, like I know this is our product. It’s winner23, not winter. Like me, this last week in the fantasy phase.”
##pass.com build 57:59
- DFSpass.com is a platform with great writers focused on Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS).
- The approach behind DFSpass.com is to provide great value and build the product in the right way.
“We’ve got a lot of great writers inside of that DFS pass. So it has been the approach of let’s give a great value, let’s build the product out in the right way.”
Fantasy Face-Off and Wheel of Shame 58:10
- The Fantasy Face-Off is presented by DraftKings.
- Last week’s Face-Off was a tight battle, with Jason ending up on top, Mike in the second position, and the speaker at the bottom.
- As the loser in the previous Face-Off, the speaker has the privilege and honor to reprise their role and spin the Wheel of Shame.
“The fantasy face-off presented by DraftKings… Number one, Mike, number two again, and I ended up at the bottom. So I have the privilege, the honor to reprise my role as the loser of this trifecta with the Wheel of Shame.”
Wheel of Shame Anticipation 58:57
- The speaker shares their thoughts and hopes regarding the Wheel of Shame spin.
- They express a desire to avoid certain outcomes like needing a shower or not being able to see their lineup.
“When I’m watching this wheel, I’m always kind of rooting for a couple of things. I’m rooting one, that I won’t need a shower afterwards. Two, I’m rooting that I’ll be able to see my lineup.”
Spinning the Wheel of Shame 59:11
- The speaker reacts to the wheel spinning and expresses curiosity about the possible outcomes.
“Let’s spin that wheel. All right. Is there one that’s like you get away, you don’t have to do anything? Viking, happy trees. Big Gordo. Ha ha ha! What on earth? No. What on earth is big Gordo? Yeah, we got a fat face coming on here.”
Reaction to the spin 59:29
- The speaker realizes and responds to the outcome of the Wheel of Shame spin.
- They humorously reference a shoutout to a spitballer’s reference.
- There are technical difficulties initially with the speaker’s audio, but they can be heard better later on.
“Fat Andy is about to take hold on this show. We’ve got fat Andy is about to take hold on this show. Oh, I can hear you a little better now. This is a shoutout to a spitballer’s reference as well. Oh, good. Okay. I work at a restaurant. Yeah, yeah, yeah.”
Closing Remarks 01:05:34
- The host announces the end of the show.
- Listeners are invited to join the host an hour before kickoff on Sunday Live at ballerslive.com.
- The host wishes everyone a great weekend and enjoyment of the football games.
“I’ll close out the show. Hey, I’ll see everybody on Sunday Live, ballerslive.com. Enjoy the weekend. Enjoy the football games, everybody. Goodbye.”