Week 18 Matchups + Wheel of Shame, One More Time!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Final Friday show of the season! On today’s fantasy football podcast, Week 18 matchup breakdowns continued! Which normal starters are out and which backups are playable in fantasy lineups? Plus, don’t miss as Andy spins the Wheel of Shame for the fourth week in a row! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for January 5th, 2024.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
Ready for NFL action? Download the DraftKings app NOW and use code BALLERS. New customers can PLAY FREE for a share of MILLIONS IN PRIZES with your first five dollar deposit! Only on DraftKings—THE Official Daily Fantasy Partner of the NFL—with code BALLERS. The crown is yours.
Gambling problem? Call one eight hundred gambler. Eligibility restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Minimum five-dollar deposit required. One award per new customer. See terms at draftkings.com.
Week 18 matchups and playoff implications 03:49
- The hosts mention that there are playoff-style games in Week 18. 03:55
- They note that some players will be reaching for thresholds and playoff berths. 03:57
“There are playoff style games this week. There are players that are certainly going to be reaching for thresholds, that are reaching for playoff births, that are gonna be on the field. And we’ll talk about more of them today.”
Noah Brown ruled out 08:39
- Noah Brown has been ruled out for the upcoming game.
- No further details are provided about the reason for his absence.
“Noah Brown has been ruled out for this game.”
Robert Woods questionable 08:41
- Robert Woods is listed as questionable for the game.
- No additional information is given regarding the nature of his injury or the chances of him playing.
“Robert Woods is listed as questionable for the game.”
- No additional information is provided about Christian Kirk, suggesting he is currently healthy and available to play.
“No further information is provided about Christian Kirk.”
Feeling good about Christian Kirk being back on the field 08:45
- The speaker expresses optimism about Christian Kirk being back on the field.
- It is implied that Kirk has been practicing and is expected to play.
“Feeling good about Christian Kirk being back on the field.”
- Trevor Lawrence has a shoulder injury but is expected to play.
- He has been limited in practice due to the injury.
“Trevor Lawrence has a shoulder injury but is expected to play.”
- No information is provided regarding Zay Jones‘ hamstring injury or his availability for the game.
“No information is available about Zay Jones‘ hamstring injury.”
Alvin Kamara ankle injury 08:59
- Alvin Kamara did not practice due to an ankle injury.
- No further details are given about the severity of the injury or his potential availability.
“Alvin Kamara did not practice due to an ankle injury.”
Courtland Sutton‘s Fantasy Value 15:39
- Cortland Sutton has been a core player.
- The question is whether Russell Wilson‘s return will affect Sutton’s value.
- Despite Sutton’s progress through the concussion protocol, it is uncertain if he will play.
- If Sutton is active, it is debatable whether or not to start him.
“I mean, I was never that excited about Sutton in the lineup. I was always hopeful for that touchdown, but I would not play him.”
Comparison Between Sutton and Gabe Davis 16:15
- The comparison is between Cortland Sutton and Gabe Davis.
- The preference seems to be leaning towards Gabe Davis.
- The dislike for the situation with Puka Nakua is mentioned.
- The stats for Puka Nakua are mentioned as 4 catches for 29 yards.
“Probably, he’ll probably go for 200. Philly at 11 and 5, taking on the 5 and 11 Giants.”
Preview of Philadelphia Eagles vs New York Giants Game 16:31
- The game will be between the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Giants.
- The line given by DK Sportsbook is Philly -5.5 with an over/under of 42.
- The Eagles have lost 4 of their last 5 games.
- The Giants have had some competitive matchups recently.
“Philly’s fighting for that number 2 seed. They need the Cowboys to lose to go ahead and win the division.”
Jalen Hurts‘ Performance and the Disappearance of AJ Brown 17:37
- Jalen Hurts‘ passing yards have decreased from 261 to 207 per game.
- Hurts has been successful in scoring rushing touchdowns.
- AJ Brown‘s performance has dropped significantly.
- The potential reasons for AJ Brown‘s decline are discussed.
“He hasn’t been in the top 13 since that time in week 10. That’s a stretch of seven games in a row where his worst fantasy finish on the week was the wide receiver 13.”
Darius Slayton as a Waiver Wire Option 21:17
- Darius Slayton is recommended as a waiver wire pickup.
- Slayton is expected to have a good matchup against the Philadelphia secondary.
- It is suggested that Slayton is a good option for underdogs.
“Darius Slayton is the waiver wire guy you want if you are the underdog.”
D’Andre Swift‘s Matchup against the Giants 21:27
- Deandre Swift is considered a comfortable start.
- The Giants struggle against the run.
- The matchup against the Giants is favorable for Swift.
“The giants get beat on the ground. They’re still favorite even though they’re on the road.”
Crossing the Yellow Line 22:03
- A player crossed the yellow line in a parking lot and it shut them down.
- The player had an ankle monitor that locks the wheels when it reaches the one-yard line.
“Oh yeah, you crossed that yellow line.” 22:03
Locking the Wheels 22:19
- The wheels of the player’s ankle monitor were locked when he reached the one-yard line.
- There’s a mechanism built into the ground that locks the wheels.
- It’s not a high-tech situation; it involves a stripe painted over a wire in the ground.
“They shut them down. They locked the wheels.” 22:19
Uncertainty About the Consequences 22:53
- The commentators on the video discuss what would happen if someone were to pick up the locked cart.
- There’s uncertainty about whether picking up the cart would release or trigger something.
“But again, what if you pick it up? That leads me to believe that you could pick it up. But those are heavy. Shopping carts?” 22:53
The Mechanics of Wheel Locking 23:43
- The wheel clamp is locked with a thin wire as the cart passes over it.
- It is suggested that cutting the wire would release the lock.
“So this little wire cutter, you’re fine. But again, what if you pick it up?” 23:51
Shopping Cart Releases 24:11
- The commentators express concern that if releasing the locked wheels is as simple as slightly raising the cart, it could lead to carts being freely taken.
- They discuss the ease with which one could raise the back wheels to release the lock.
“If the way around your security system is just to slightly raise it for, I don’t know, 3 to 5 inches of movement. Like this is not good.” 24:25
Parking Lot Tactics 27:43
- The commentators switch gears and discuss traffic safety tactics.
- They suggest that placing non-functioning police vehicles with lights on where cameras are placed as an alternative to the cameras.
“If you just put a non-functioning police vehicle with lights on where every one of those cameras was, then nobody’s speeding there.” 27:11
Seattle’s Chance of Making the Playoffs 27:57
- Seattle has a good chance of making the playoffs if they beat Arizona and the Bears beat the Packers.
- Geno Smith has a huge bonus of possibly two million dollars if the Seahawks make the playoffs.
“I think that Seattle’s a really good chance of being in the playoffs.”
Cardinals’ Motivation 29:29
- The Cardinals are playing to prove they are winners and upset their divisional opponent.
- The Seahawks are playing to get into the playoffs.
“Both sides of the ball, the Cardinals are playing to prove they are winners. They are playing to upset the divisional opponent. The Seahawks are playing to get in the playoffs.”
Fantasy Outlook for the Cardinals and Seahawks 29:29
- Both defenses have not been as good as hoped, and both offenses are clicking.
- Players like Kyler Murray, James Conner, and Trey McBride are recommended for fantasy teams.
- Seattle’s wide receivers might be a conundrum but could still be viable options against Arizona’s defense.
“If you want players where you know they’re motivated, both sides of the ball, the Cardinals are playing to prove they are winners. They are playing to upset the divisional opponent. The Seahawks are playing to get in the playoffs.”
Playing Greg Dortch 31:23
- Greg Dorch could be a sneaky play with upside if you’re struggling and looking for a waiver wire option.
- He has had double-digit fantasy points in four of the past six games.
“If you’re excited, it’s like, I’m playing the Dorch. If you’re not excited, it’s like, I’m not gonna play Greg.”
Clyde Edwards-Helaire‘s Potential 32:37
- With most starters not playing, Clyde Edwards-Helaire could have a good opportunity with around 20 touches.
- He could end up being the centerpiece of a run-first offense.
“He could end up in a game like this with 20 opportunities. He could end up being the centerpiece.”
Rams vs. 49ers 33:49
- Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold will battle it out, the number 2 and number 3 picks from the 2017 and 2018 drafts.
Rams not playing starters 33:59
- The Rams are not playing their starters.
- Puka is trying to accomplish a rookie record by getting 4 more yards to reach 29.
- Ronnie Rivers, Marcus Robinson, and Tutu Awell are expected to play instead.
“The Rams are not playing their starters.”
San Francisco favored, Jordan Mason to get a ton of work 34:21
- San Francisco is favored and not playing their starters.
- Jordan Mason is expected to receive a lot of carries.
- Sam Darnold is leading the offense for San Francisco.
“San Francisco’s favored. They’re not playing their starters.”
Carson Wentz likely unable to put up a fight against 49ers 34:29
- Sam Darnold is a better option than Carson Wentz for the 49ers.
- The 49ers’ offensive scheme works well with any quarterback.
- Expect a one-sided matchup where the 49ers dominate.
“Can Carson Wins with a lower cast of characters put up a fight against the 49ers? I would say no.”
Dallas heavily favored against the commanders 35:11
- Dallas is heavily favored against the 4-12 commanders.
- The commanders’ head coach, Ron Rivera, is likely in his last game.
- Dallas has a lot to play for, with a win securing the NFC East.
- Expect a strong performance from Dak Prescott, C.D. Lamb, and the Dallas offense.
“Dallas is 11 and 5 taking on the 4 and 12 commanders… Ron Rivera’s last game as a commander’s head coach… Dallas 13 point road favorites… It means a ton to Dallas.”
Washington veterans sitting, Dallas expected to dominate 36:15
- The veterans for the Washington commanders are expected to sit this week.
- Washington doesn’t want to win the game as it secures them the number two pick.
- Expect Tony Pollard and other Dallas players to have a strong game against a weaker Washington team.
“There’s a vibe that the veterans in Washington are sitting this week… Washington doesn’t want to win this game… You expect the Dallas Cowboys to walk over the commanders.”
Buffalo vs. Miami, a playoff game 37:35
- Buffalo and Miami are both fighting for their playoff lives.
- Buffalo needs a win to stay in the playoff race.
- The game is expected to be close, with Buffalo being a slight favorite.
- Buffalo’s recent changes to their offensive scheme have made a big difference.
“Buffalo at 10-6, Miami at 11-5… It’s a good one… It’s a playoff game… if Buffalo loses this game, they are eliminated.”
Seth Walder’s NFC Title Game Predictions 40:07
- Seth Walder from ESPN analytics predicts that the most likely NFC title game is the Cowboys vs 49ers with a 44% chance of occurring. The second most likely NFC title game is the Bills vs Ravens. 40:11
“The most likely NFC title game is the Cowboys 49ers with a 44% chance to occur. And the most likely NFC title game right now is Bill’s Ravens.”
Analysis of Dolphins Defense against Buffalo Bills 40:25
- The Dolphins have been great against the run this season, ranking as the number two rushing defense in the league. 40:33
- However, the Bills have been winning games by running the ball, so they might need to rely on their passing game more. 40:41
- Despite the Dolphins’ strong run defense, it is still recommended to play Stefon Diggs due to the importance of the game and his overall talent. 40:47
“Now, Diggs was great against them a long, long time ago… You got to play Diggs.”
Recent Performance of Stefon Diggs 41:01
- Stefon Diggs has not been performing well in fantasy recently. In the last month, his fantasy point totals have been 4.4, 6.8, 5.4, and 5.1 after the team’s bye week. 41:15
- Based on his recent fantasy finishes, it may be wise to consider benching Diggs if you have been playing him in week 18. 41:03
“Here’s his fantasy points for the last month: 4.4, 6.8, 5.4, 5.1.”
Alternatives to Stefon Diggs 41:29
- Jordan Addison against the Detroit Lions and Brandon Cooks against the Commanders are both viable alternatives to Stefon Diggs. 41:31
- Drake London against the Saints is not recommended over Diggs. 41:37
“Yeah, I like that matchup. I would go Jordan Addison.”
Importance of Tyreek Hill for the Chiefs 42:03
- Tyreek Hill is crucial for the Chiefs’ success and they need him desperately in this game. 42:01
- Jalen Waddle of the Dolphins is unlikely to play due to a high ankle sprain, making Tyreek Hill even more important in this matchup. 42:11
“They need him desperately in this game… ah, nothing this week would shock me more than Jalen Waddle making it out there.”
Expectations for Raheem Mostert 42:25
- Raheem Mostert is expected to play in this game and should be started if he is available. 42:27
- Both Tyreek Hill and Raheem Mostert are recommended to be played if they are able to participate. 42:33
“I think he’ll be out there. I will play either and both if they are there.”
Miami Dolphins‘ Lack of Big Wins 43:45
- The Miami Dolphins have struggled against top teams and have only beaten the Cowboys by 2 points this season. 43:47
- Considering their mediocre record against good teams, it is unlikely they will perform well against the Buffalo Bills. 43:59
“I’ve never been proven… They’ve never stepped up to the plate.”
Predictions for Buffalo Bills vs Miami Dolphins Game 43:01
- The hosts predict that the Buffalo Bills will win this game, potentially by a margin of 12 points or more. 43:03
- The previous matchup between the two teams resulted in a dominant victory for the Bills, with a score of 48-20. 43:19
“I’m going to say Buffalo by 12 points… Buffalo already smoked them earlier.”
Updates on Trevor Lawrence and Kirk Cousins 44:25
- Trevor Lawrence is questionable for the upcoming game. 44:27
- Kirk Cousins is recovering well from a core muscle injury. 44:33
“Trevor Lawrence, questionable… description of Kirk, how great he looks.”
Outcome of Fantasy Face Off League 45:55
- Jason finished the league with 10 first-place finishes, while Mike had nine second-place finishes. 45:31
- Andy had eight third-place finishes, meaning he did not win any spins on the Wheel of Shame. 45:41
“Got the Quattro, which means we end the year with Jason with 10 first place finishes. Thank you.”
“Loser glasses… Spin the stupid wheel for my stupid four in a row… Loser glasses.”
Glasses and Roster Visibility 46:43
- When wearing glasses, they suggest moving them slightly to see the roster.
- They mention not being able to look at the front and seeing absolutely nothing.
“You can move the glasses off just a little bit to see your roster.”
Microphone and Podcast 46:53
- They discuss the need for a microphone because they do a podcast.
- One person mentions not being able to see due to the microphone.
“Why do I need my microphone? Because we do a podcast.”
Pie in the Face 47:15
- They joke about throwing a pie in someone’s face.
- They comment on the cream used, expressing hope that it is whipped cream.
- The person who got hit with the pie says it exceeds expectations.
“It’s a buy in the face! Oh! Oh no! It’s a buy in the face! It’s whipped cream. It’s delicious.”
Roster Readability and Glasses 47:23
- They suggest taking off the glasses to improve roster visibility.
- One person states they cannot read their own roster.
“You can take the glasses off now so you can see…No, I can’t read my roster.”
Fantasy Football Lineup 48:33
- They discuss their fantasy football lineup choices.
- They mention the quarterbacks they selected, including Justin Fields and Dak Prescott.
- They also name wide receivers like Jamar Chase and Adam Thielen.
Flex Players and Defense 50:53
- They mention flex players and defense in their lineup choices.
- Names like James Conner, Juwan Johnson, and the Dallas Cowboys defense are mentioned.
“I’ve got Justin Fields against the Green Bay Packers…Dak at $8,000…Jamar Chase at $7,300…Adam Thielen at $6,000.” “I have James Conner at my flex…Juwan Johnson with a little defense known as the Dallas Cowboys.”