DFS Thursday Night Football: DraftKings Showdown for Week 2
After Week 1’s thrilling 31-29 game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, this matchup on paper looks like it could be a snooze fest between the Washington Football Team sans Ryan Fitzpatrick and Danny Dimes’ New York Football Giants. One way to make it way more exciting? Play some showdown DFS lineups!
Before we get into the specifics of this matchup and how to approach it for the DraftKings showdown slate, I want to point people back to a few pieces of evergreen content that I think we be extremely valuable if you’re serious about winning showdown all season. I’d recommend reading/listening to this content before proceeding, especially if you’re new to showdown.
1. How to Win Showdown Contests: A detailed article looking at the data and strategy behind winning showdown lineups.
2. DFS Showdown Strategy Podcast: A thorough discussion on how to beat showdown, looking at the game theory and how to leverage the field.
DraftKings Sportsbook Lines
Spread: Washington -3.5
Team Totals: Washington (22.5), New York (19)
Injuries to Monitor
- QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (O): Hip subluxation
- WR Curtis Samuel (IR): Groin strain
- RB Saquon Barkley (Q): Knee – Limited participant in practice but projected to play
- TE Evan Engram (O): Calf strain
- OLB Cam Brown (O): Hamstring strain
- G Shane Lemieux (O): Knee
Antonio Gibson $14,400
Gibson landed on the injury report this week, which may keep his roster percentage down a bit, at least in the captain spot. However, this is a mild AC joint sprain that Gibson can play through effectively. Based on my offseason research article about how to beat showdown, we know that in games that feature a low total, the RB1 historically is most often the correct optimal captain play. If choosing between Gibson and Saquon Barkley, I’ll take Gibson given that he’s playing on the favored team, which should lead to more positive game scripts. He saw 25 total opportunities in Week 1 and was involved in the passing game, seeing 5 targets.
Stack Idea: Cpt Antonio Gibson, Bring back with Daniel Jones and Kenny Golladay