Fantasy Football Trends & The Stream Finder Tool
Through eight weeks, we can get a real sample size worth utilizing to projecting which offenses and defenses we can attack in fantasy. But it’s also so valuable to zero in on recent trends rather than only the red or green number your fantasy provider gives you in your matchups.
- Defenses can be dynamic. Some are static (*cough the Lions *cough)
- But teams can adjust mid-season, injuries happen, and rookies get better.
We recently discussed on the Fantasy Footballers Podcast trends like how Zac Taylor gave over the reins to Joe Burrow and the Bengals’ passing offense. Cincinnati ranks #1 in pass rate over the last month compared to a middling effort the first month with terrible results on the ground. The Bengals ranked 31st in EPA per rush attempt despite Joe Mixon seeing 25+ opportunities per game.
The Seattle Seahawks looked like a team to target each week in fantasy as they were obliterated over the first month. Over the last 3 weeks, their defense is shutting people down with rookie CBs Tariq Woolen & Coby Bryant looking like stars.
Legion of Boom 2.0? Seattle's defense over the last 3 weeks:
– Yards per play: 2nd
– Total DVOA: 1st
– Scoring defense: 5th
– EPA per play: 2nd
– Pressure rate: 7th
– Play success rate: 1st
— Matthew Betz (@TheFantasyPT) November 2, 2022
On Thursday’s Never Not Working, Mike explained some of these metrics and how we use the stream finder to identify these defensive matchups.
Let’s discuss a couple of other recent trends using the Stream Finder tool that FootClan members have access to. I’ll include some screenshots just so you can follow along.
Defenses Flipping the Script with QBs
Using our Stream Finder tool on the site, you can adjust for schedule and filter by position and weeks to get a better picture of which defenses truly matter for fantasy matchups.
- Through the 1st month of the season, the Jets looked like a plus matchup ranking 23rd against fantasy QBs.
- Over the last month, NYJ is 3rd against QB adjusted for schedule.
- Rookie CB Ahmad Gardner is now the betting favorite to win Def ROY Award.
- Since Week 4, BAL is 9th against QB adjusted for schedule.
- Just added LB Roquan Smith and 2nd-round pick David Ojabo was activated from IR.
Titans Stuffing the Run
- 1st two weeks: MOST fantasy points to RBs and seemed like a team to target.
- Since then: WORST matchup. Given up the fewest points to RBs from Week 3 on with the fewest rushing yards per game allowed (Josh Jacobs– 66 rush yards, Jonathan Taylor– 42 & 58, Washington RBs- 28, Dameon Pierce last week- 35)
- They are in their own stratosphere of rush defense right now.
There are endless search variations as well as other tools available for Footclan members.