Week 7 Matchups + Bad Luck Chuck, Wheel of Shame!
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Set your Week 7 lineups! On today’s fantasy football podcast, lots of Week 7 game previews with tough start/sit decisions! Plus, reactions to Thursday Night Football, and Jason spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for October 20th, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Recap of Thursday Night Football 02:02
- The hosts discuss the game between the Saints and the Raiders.
- They mention the poor performance of the Saints’ offense in the first half.
- One of the hosts comments on Derek Carr‘s behavior during the game and compares it to Aaron Rodgers.
- They also discuss the performance of Chris Olave and the inconsistency of Calvin Ridley.
“A decent game. Thursday night football, I feel like more often than not, is mostly trash… He was pushing for the title… He was like, Mr. Nice, he switches over to the Saints and now it’s like, I hate you… One, Alva Cameo on a hot route didn’t stop and turn around, was not Derek Carr‘s fault.”
Concerns about Calvin Ridley‘s inconsistency 06:09
- The hosts express their concerns about Calvin Ridley‘s inconsistent performance throughout the season.
- They question whether he should still be considered a “must-start” player.
- They discuss his wide receiver finishes and highlight his lack of production in some games.
“Calvin Ridley is the elephant in the room because you had a game in which… only four of them went to Calvin Ridley. He had one catch for five yards… I don’t think he’s in the, you have to start him category anymore.”
Taysom Hill‘s emergence as a tight end 07:55
- The hosts discuss Taysom Hill‘s surprising role as a receiver, with eight targets in the previous week.
- They highlight his previous lack of involvement in the passing game and note his recent increase in receptions.
- They suggest Taysom Hill as a valuable pickup in fantasy football leagues.
“Taysom Hill had eight targets… he had seven receptions last week… He should be an important tight end pickup on waiver day.”
Deshaun Watson Likely to Play in Week 7 10:11
- Mary Kay Kavit reported that Deshaun Watson, who returned to practice, is expected to play in week seven against the Colts.
“We have a report from Mary Kay Kavit that says the Sean Watson who returned to practice looks like a go in week seven against the Colts.”
Pat Freiermuth Re-Injured 10:38
- Pat Friarermuth re-injured his hamstring and will not play this week.
- It’s likely that he will be sidelined even longer after aggravating the injury.
“Got news this morning that he re-injured his hamstring and will not play this week and likely sidelined longer after aggravating.”
Luke Musgrave as a Replacement 11:05
- Jason is starting Luke Musgrave as a replacement for Pat Friarermuth.
- Luke Musgrave was recently signed in their League of Records.
“I am starting Luke Musgrave so he will be injured.”
Tyler Lockett Limited in Practice 11:52
- Tyler Lockett was limited in practice a couple of days in a row.
- It’s uncertain if he will be available for the upcoming game.
“I’m going to throw it in there. Tyler Lockett was limited a couple days in a row as well.”
JSN’s Opportunity with Potential Metcalf Injury 12:39
- DK Metcalf missed practice with ribs and hip injuries.
- If Metcalf is unable to play, it could be an opportunity for Jameson Smith-Njigba (JSN).
- JSN has shown improvement with each game and has the potential for a breakout game against the Arizona Cardinals.
“I do suspect this could be a JSN week. If you start to look at what is transpired, average depth of target has increased every game… If Metcalf misses, there will be opportunity. It’s Arizona. I like him to maybe have this first breakout game.”
Devonta Smith Expected to Play 13:28
- Devonta Smith expects to play on Sunday evening against the Dolphins.
- There are no changes expected in the lineup due to Smith’s availability.
“Devonte Smith expects to play Sunday evening against the Dolphins. Let’s go. No changes. Don’t change your lineup. I don’t need to change my lineup. Oh, this is good news with Devonte Smith.”
Trade Discussion 13:42
- A trade offer has been made in their League of Records.
- The details of the trade are not mentioned, but it seems to involve Rushy Rice.
“Also, did you see I sent you a little trade off for this morning? I did not. In our league of records? I did not. It’s a real good one. You’re going to love it.”
“So you offered me Rushy Rice, a player I really like, a player I was high on coming into the season, a player I had. Oops. That I accidentally dropped and now you got him and you are trying to rub it in.”
Key Takeaways 13:52
- Nurse Nicholas won a $100 gift card.
- Week 7 matchups and injury updates were discussed.
- Pat Friarermuth re-injured his hamstring.
- Luke Musgrave is a replacement for Friarermuth.
- Tyler Lockett was limited in practice.
- JSN may have an opportunity if DK Metcalf is unable to play.
- Devonta Smith is expected to play.
- A trade offer has been made in their League of Records.
Jahmyr Gibbs‘ Usage 17:56
- Jameer Gibbs is expected to have a significant role in the upcoming game.
- Despite claims of being cautious with him, the team actually needs him on the field.
- In a previous game without David Montgomery, Gibbs had 17 carries and performed well.
- Gibbs is projected to have at least 15 opportunities in this game against the Ravens.
- The Ravens defense struggles against the run, making Gibbs an important asset for the team.
“I am 100 percent playing Jameer Gibbs. If there’s any question… he’s first game back from an injury. He’s going to be in my lineup.”
Craig Reynolds‘ Injury 19:04
- Craig Reynolds is dealing with multiple injuries.
- The team genuinely needs him on the field due to a lack of other options.
- If Reynolds practices fully, he might still be considered for play.
- However, in general, it’s best to avoid playing players with uncertain statuses.
“Craig Reynolds dealing with two different injuries… not… just giving a pep talk… it’s actually like, oh my gosh, we need him because we don’t have other options. So is Craig Reynolds, if he practices today in full, is he in play at all?”
- When considering whether to start Jared Goff or Matthew Stafford, it’s important to look at their rankings and projections.
- Stafford currently has a slight edge in rankings and projected points, making him the safer choice.
- Stafford’s higher reliance on passing touchdowns, compared to rushing touchdowns like Kyron, may work in his favor.
- The matchup against the Pittsburgh defense is favorable for Stafford to perform well.
“Our consensus rankings have Stafford slightly ahead and projected points… I’ll lean Stafford there.”
Playing Jahmyr Gibbs or Jordan Addison in Flex 20:54
- Jameer Gibbs is a popular choice for the flex position.
- Comparing Gibbs to Jordan Addison, Gibbs is ranked significantly higher in consensus rankings.
- This makes Gibbs the preferred option for the flex position.
“On the other side of the ball… Jordan Addison or Jameer Gibbs. Addison plays San Francisco Monday night football… I think I’m on the Gibbs side of that one.”
Running Backs vs Lions Defense 21:21
- The Detroit Lions have an excellent rushing defense.
- To be productive against them, it’s typically best to rely on a single running back rather than a committee.
- With multiple running backs, such as Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and Melvin Gordon, splitting up limited fantasy points, it’s not advisable to play any of them.
“The Lions right now are giving up 10 fantasy points per game to the running back position… If you’re going to have Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and Melvin Gordon splitting up 10 fantasy points, I mean, no, thank you.”
Matthew Stafford‘s Touchdown Struggles 23:47
- Matthew Stafford has been struggling with throwing touchdowns.
- He has only thrown multiple touchdown passes in a single game once this entire season.
- This lack of scoring through the air hampers his fantasy performance.
“He has not been throwing touchdowns very much. That’s, that’s his main issue right now. Only one single game the entire season where he’s had multiple touchdown passes.”
Uncertainty Surrounding Zach Evans 24:52
- Zach Evans is not a reliable option for fantasy lineups.
- Despite the amount of attention given to him in start/sit questions, it’s best to avoid playing him.
- The matchup against the Cleveland Browns defense is unfavorable for Evans.
“I mean, Zach Evans, I’ll tell you right now, DFS, he’s 4,000. Not in my lineup. Not in mine.”
Incomplete Information Regarding Zach Evans 25:55
- Uncertainty about Zach Evans‘ playing status calls for caution.
- Updated practice reports and information from reliable sources may alter opinions.
- It’s best to refrain from seeking personal opinions from players’ family members.
“New information will change your opinions if we get something out of today’s practice. I’ve been on Twitter looking for any kind of update from practice reports…”
Daryl Henderson 26:28
- Daryl Henderson is a player mentioned in the video.
- Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson are mentioned as players to consider starting.
- The matchup for the Rams wide receivers is favorable.
“We’ll look into it. Cooper Kupp, of course. Pukinakua, Jason, start of the week.” “The matchup is so delicious right now. You got to do it.”
Steelers’ Defense against Wide Receivers 26:40
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have been giving up a lot of fantasy points to wide receivers this season.
- Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson are expected to benefit from this matchup.
“Adjusting for schedules. Steelers are dead last in fantasy points given up to wide receivers.” “Yes, please. That’s split up basically just between Cooper Kupp and Pukinakua.”
Najee Harris and Rams Defense 27:02
- Najee Harris‘s performance has been inefficient, especially considering the Rams’ strong defense against running backs.
- Jalen Warren, on the other hand, has been more efficient and is involved in the passing game.
- The recommendation is to start Jalen Warren over Najee Harris.
“Najee Harris has been very inefficient, right? Behind this offensive line.” “If I have to start one of them, I would start Jalen Warren because of the passing work.” “I would not start either player this week. The Rams have a good defense.”
- The Arizona Cardinals are going up against the Seattle Seahawks.
- The Cardinals are underdogs in this game and facing a tough defense.
- Hollywood Brown is a recommended start due to his consistent target numbers.
“The Cardinals are one in five. They take on the Seattle Seahawks who are three and two.” “The DraftKey sports book line, Seattle minus seven and a half.” “Hollywood is a fantastic, fantastic play. He’s your start of the week.”
- The Denver Broncos are facing the Green Bay Packers, with the Packers favored to win.
- Jordan Love, the Packers quarterback, has struggled with completion percentage.
- Christian Watson is a recommended player due to the Broncos’ weaknesses against speedy receivers.
Considerations for Playing Sutton and Other Factors 34:41
- Despite Sutton’s recent struggles, there are other factors to consider, such as the return of Aaron Jones and the increasing snap counts of Christian Watson.
- Jaden Reed is also present on the field, so it’s essential to assess if Sutton’s performance slump is just a temporary trend.
- Comparing Sutton’s performance with the success of Romeo Dobbs and the potential departure of Jerry Judy adds complexity to the decision-making process.
“we have Aaron Jones returning. We have Christian Watson, snap counts going up. We have a couple of factors that weren’t there. We still see Jaden Reed on the field. So I think at times we look at it and we say, ‘Is this a trend that’s going to begin or not?'”
Aaron Jones as the Start of the Week 35:30
- Aaron Jones is the recommended start of the week due to the favorable matchup against the 32nd ranked run defense.
- While some may be nervous about starting him, Jones does not require a high number of opportunities to be productive.
- Even with 12 to 15 opportunities, Jones has the potential to deliver good fantasy points.
“Aaron Jones, he’s my start of the week. I think you have to get him into your lineup against this 32nd ranked run defense. I know it’s going to be nerve-wracking, but he is not the kind of player that needs 30 opportunities, 25 opportunities.”
Javonte Williams and Jaleel McLaughlin in the Denver Backfield 35:55
- Javante Williams and Jaleel McLaughlin are the two main players in the Denver backfield.
- McLaughlin has emerged and replaced Samaje Perine, who had been underperforming.
- The Packers have been struggling to defend against the run, making McLaughlin a viable option.
“Javante Williams, Jaleel McLaughlin, I thought I saw Jaleel McLaughlin hit waiver wires this week. That is a mistake… This last week, he played 17% of the snaps and received exactly zero rushing attempts. So like McLaughlin played his way into relevance. The Packers have not been good stopping the run.”
Luke Musgrave and the Tight End Situation 37:17
- Luke Musgrave is one of the eight tight ends to have a 20%+ share of their team’s receptions.
- He has a favorable matchup this week and has shown potential.
- Musgrave and Mayer are seen as similar options with youth and talent, but their production can vary from week to week.
“Luke Musgrave is one of eight tight ends… He has a plus matchup this week. I still, you know, it’s like Mayer. It’s like Mayer this week. Both guys I see very similarly, which is young, talented. If it’s their week, you’ll be happy. If it’s not their week, I won’t be surprised.”
Matchup Analysis: Chargers vs. Chiefs 37:52
- The Chargers (2-3) face the Chiefs (5-1) in this matchup.
- The Chiefs are favorites with a 5.5 point spread, and the over/under is 48 (down from the initial line of 55.5).
- The Chiefs’ defense has been a problem for both fantasy managers and opponents, often leading to lower-scoring games.
“The Chargers are two and three. The Chiefs are five and one. Chiefs are at home at Arrowhead. And the Draft King Sportsbook line has them as five and a half point favorites. The Overunders 48 and this one bet down from 15 and a half, which is where it started… Chiefs defense has kept their games much lower scoring than usual.”
Excitement for the Chargers vs. Chiefs Matchup 38:27
- Previous matchups between the Chargers and Chiefs with Herbert and Mahomes at the helm have averaged 54 points per game.
- The decrease in the over/under line may be due to respect for the Chiefs’ defense and concerns about the Chargers’ offense without Mike Williams.
- Key players to consider in this matchup include Mahomes, Herbert, Kelsey, Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler, and Isaiah Pacheco.
“Since Justin Herbert has entered the league, these matchups that they played, you know, twice a year, average 54 points per game. So, the line going down to 48 from 15 and a half is, I think, respect for the Kansas City Chiefs defense and maybe fear of the Chargers’ offense without Mike Williams.”
Joshua Palmer and Rashee Rice as Upside Options 39:06
- Joshua Palmer and Rush E. Rice are two peripheral wide receivers who offer potential upside.
- Palmer has seen consistent target volume but has yet to produce significant fantasy outputs.
- Rush E. Rice has displayed promise and has been utilized in the red zone, making him an interesting option.
- When choosing between the two, it depends on the context of the matchup and the opponent’s roster.
“Joshua Palmer is seven targets, eight targets, seven targets. Huge is not getting any work. And so Palmer really is next man up… I think his line at the end of the game is going to be five for 69.”
Evaluating Rashee Rice‘s Potential 40:59
- Rush E. Rice has already scored two touchdowns this season and has come close to scoring more on multiple occasions.
- His value lies in the red zone, which is beneficial for fantasy production.
- While it is unlikely that Rice’s snap count will reach 70-80%, his role in the offense could increase over time.
“In general, I think he’s actually a really good start this week… I do expect more and more times for Rush E. Rice’s number to get called for them to put plays designed for him.”
Decision-Making Based on Opponent’s Roster 39:53
- When deciding which player to start, considering the opponent’s roster can play a significant role.
- If an underdog is looking for maximum potential and their opponent has Patrick Mahomes, starting Rush E. Rice may be more beneficial to swing the matchup.
- Palmer alone may not be enough to catch up in fantasy points if Mahomes is performing well.
“If you were an underdog, hypothetically, because I got a friend in this situation, you’re an underdog… So who is that? Well, I would say
Matchup Preview: Dolphins vs Eagles 42:34
- The Miami Dolphins (5-1) are facing off against the Philadelphia Eagles (5-1) in what is expected to be a great game.
- The DK Sportsbook line has the Eagles as favorites, with a spread of -2.5 and an over/under of 51.5.
“This is a great game. It’s the matchup of the week.”
Analysis of the Matchup 43:12
- The Eagles’ offense has looked scattered at times, providing an opportunity for the Dolphins.
- Miami’s only major challenge this season was against the Buffalo Bills, where they struggled.
- Philadelphia’s strength lies in their defensive line, particularly in stopping the run.
- However, injuries to their safeties and cornerbacks have weakened their defense.
- Miami’s quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and wide receivers like Jaylen Waddle and Preston Williams could have a big game.
“Philly’s strength is their D line. They’re still great at stopping the run. And I do think by the end of this season, they will get back to being a great defense, but they have dealt with so many injuries to their safeties, their cornerbacks. They’re really kind of more of a skeleton crew than they’ve been in the past right now. And that’s why, you know, you could throw on them.”
Considerations for Devonta Smith 44:35
- Devontae Smith’s limited practice due to a hamstring injury is a cause for concern.
- However, benching him may not be the best option due to his potential for a big game.
- Comparing him to other lower-scoring wide receivers like Josh Palmer, starting Smith is the safer choice.
“If Devontae Smith goes out and gets a goose, you’re losing those points and you, his floor is zero. Yeah. But the ceilings of these guys, when, when Devontae 30 points or 11, exactly 30 points or 11. So now you’re, you’re leaving 20 points on your bench. So you can have a seven point safer floor and, and that’s only if it’s a full goose. So no, Devontae Smith should be in your lineup.”
Evaluating Other Players 45:06
- Considering the potential nullification of Patrick Mahomes‘ numbers, it is worth exploring other options.
- However, context and the rest of one’s roster should be taken into account.
- In most cases, starting players like Rashad Rice over peripheral options like Joshua Palmer is recommended.
“I think, you know, in general, like I would start Rashad Rice over Joshua Palmer in 99 out of a hundred leagues.”
Monday Night Football: 49ers vs Vikings 46:55
- The San Francisco 49ers (5-1) are facing the Minnesota Vikings (2-4) in the final Monday night game.
- After their first loss of the season, the 49ers will be looking to bounce back.
Monitoring Christian McCaffrey 47:20
- Christian McCaffrey‘s limited participation in practice is a notable development.
- Depending on his status, fantasy managers should consider having a backup plan ready.
“Today is a day to watch, right? Yes. Today is the day. So you would, you would have really kind of expected people get Wednesdays off all the time, the veteran day of rest.”
Pivoting Options 48:08
- Players like Elijah Mitchell and Jordan Mason could be potential pivot options if McCaffrey is active.
- Elijah Mitchell, in particular, is a viable choice regardless of McCaffrey’s status.
“But we’re watching for Debo as well. I mean Debo is, it was, it did not practice. Both players are, they were optimistic about, but you know, this is one of those things where the Injury Blitz podcast, which comes out later this afternoon after practice reports is going to be a big deal.”
George Kittle‘s Advice and Floor 49:36
- Kittle’s advice is to always start him because he has the potential for big games.
- However, his floor is lower than most other tight ends and even lower than middling tight ends.
- Kittle’s involvement in the passing game depends on how the offense is being run in each game.
- Sometimes, he is heavily involved because the team wants to exploit a matchup, while in other games, he may be used primarily as a blocker to protect the quarterback or help other receivers.
“His floor is low, but I still believe in the talent for sure of Jordan Addison.”
Kirk Cousins in Primetime and Matchup Concerns 51:05
- Kirk Cousins has a poor career win percentage in primetime games.
- The Minnesota Vikings are heavy underdogs in this matchup.
- While Cousins has averaged 332 passing yards at home, the matchup against the San Francisco 49ers defense, which has the most interceptions in the league, is not favorable.
“In a matchup against the San Francisco 49ers, who will just be in Kirk’s face all day.”
Joshua Palmer‘s Performance Against the Chiefs 53:00
- Joshua Palmer scored three touchdowns last year, with all three coming against the Kansas City Chiefs.
- His highest fantasy output of the year was 28.5 fantasy points in a game against the Chiefs.
- This suggests that Palmer may have a favorable matchup against the Chiefs again this week.
“Do you know what team he scored all three against? It was the chiefs… In fact, he scored in both of their matchups.”