NFL DFS First Look at Salaries & Matchups for Week 5 (Fantasy Football)
Every week the First Look article gives you a taste of the slate and some of the more intriguing salaries that DraftKings and FanDuel release. The goal is to identify early-week cash game considerations, as well as potential tournament plays before we piece together the stacking options. On Tuesdays, I share some of these insights on the Fantasy Footballers DFS Podcast if you want further commentary on some of the salary standouts.
Here are the games for this week’s main slate* including team-implied totals (TIP) for each matchup.
*Totals are DraftKings Sportsbook as of the time of publishing Monday 4:30 EST.
For newcomers, the main slate for DFS includes the Sunday early (1:00 EST) and afternoon games (4:25 EST). At first glance, here are a couple of things to note:
- Off the Main Slate: CHI, WAS, JAX, BUF, DAL, SF, GB, LV
- Bye Week Teams: LAC, TB, CLE, SEA
- With only ten games on the main slate, the best plays will become even more condensed this week. Keep in mind this point for cash. I bet there will be 4-5 RBs considered at all and the field will utilize 4 WR builds with confidence.
- Three games stand above the rest with 49+ totals. KC/MIN will be the most cost prohibitive while NYG/MIA presents some intriguing value options if you can figure out the Giants side and if Saquon Barkley returns.
- All salaries are DraftKings unless noted for FanDuel (FD).
- Patrick Mahomes ($8200) is rightfully priced as the top QB this week in a great game environment. The Chiefs might’ve looked sluggish against the Jets but Mahomes on the road is just another level. He’s averaging 311 passing yards, 2.5 passing TDs and another 22 yards on the ground. I don’t mind paying up this week to secure his safety and a 3-point bonus on DK with their monster 29-point team implied total. He should be another $500 more in my opinion.
- Jalen Hurts ($8000) and the Eagles/Rams game was bet up from 46.5 as its early look-ahead line on Friday to now 50(!) points.
- Anthony Richardson ($7000) received a $300 increase but perhaps that is not enough. He is the QB2 in fantasy points per game and the rushing floor is just too good.
- Kirk Cousins ($7600-FD) is a value on FanDuel this week at home. His home/road splits are well known and last week’s 19 pass attempts should honestly just be removed from Minnesota’s pace stats. This team wants to throw at an elevated rate and playing across the field from Patrick Mahomes will dictate that again.
- C.J. Stroud ($6000) will be another cheap name to note. He has the second most passing yards through a QB’s first four games. The issue might be if the game environment against the Falcons is elevated enough for him to need to throw. Atlanta is notorious for slowing things down and increasing game variance.
- Can we laugh that DraftKings priced both Ryan Tannehill and Desmond Ridder ($4900) at backup levels? It is rough.