DFS First Look at Salaries & Matchups for Week 1 (Fantasy Football)
It’s that time again folks!
On Tuesdays, Betz and myself share some of these insights on the Fantasy Footballers DFS Podcast if you want further commentary on some of the salary standouts. However, for Week 1, we devoted our entire episode to the DET/KC game and showdown strategy.
Every week the First Look article gives you a taste of the slate and some of the more intriguing salaries that DraftKings and FanDuel release. The goal is to identify early-week cash game considerations, as well as potential tournament plays, before we piece together the stacking options.
Here are the games for this week’s main slate* including team implied totals (TIP) for each matchup.
For newcomers, the main slate for DFS includes the Sunday early (1:00 EST) and afternoon games (4:25 EST). At first glance, here are a couple of things to note:
- Every year Week 1 invites so much overconfidence in DFS. Every best ball draft over the summer, every podcast, article, and tweet cements things in our brains when in reality there is so much we don’t know about the NFL. Use that information to your advantage and create leverage in tournaments.
- With Travis Kelce playing Thursday night, this week feels a bit more wide open at the TE position.
- There are so many different routes at the RB position. Apart from injuries to Miami and Jonathan Taylor not playing, the landscape is pretty straightforward with paying up or trying to zig at price points a couple of tiers down.
- Only one game is above the 50-point threshold we usually look for in DFS. However, games in the 47-49.5 range tend to hit over more frequently than the public realizes.
- I’m interested in stacking Minnesota, Baltimore, and Jacksonville with those healthy team-implied totals.
- Note: All salaries are DraftKings unless noted as (FD).
- The matchup is too good for us to wait and see with the new-look Ravens offense. Lamar Jackson ($8000) faces the Texans as a near double-digit favorite. In his career, he’s hit 55+ rushing yards in 72% of his starts filtering out injuries. That is an insanely high floor baking in the fact his ceiling with 3WR sets could be absolute bananas. He’s on the shortlist of both cash and GPP.
Among QBs with 80+ Dropbacks with 3+ WRs on the field last year…
Lamar Demeatrice Jackson Jr. led ALL of them in Comp % over Expectation (CPOE)
— Kyle Borgognoni (@kyle_borg) August 18, 2023