Week 9 Matchups + Creeper Jason, Wheel of Shame
Get notifications when new episodes are released
Week 9 is underway! On today’s fantasy football podcast, exciting Week 9 matchups to break down! Find out who Andy, Mike, and Jason would start or sit in their lineups! Plus, reactions to Thursday Night Football, and Jason spins the Wheel of Shame during the “Fantasy Faceoff”! Manage your redraft, keeper, and dynasty fantasy football teams with the #1 fantasy football podcast. — Fantasy Football Podcast for November 3rd, 2023.
Connect with the show:
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Visit us on the Web
- Support the Show
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Join our Discord
Check out today’s sponsors:
News & Notes presented by USAA. Visit https://USAA.com/Insurance
Fantasy Faceoff presented by DraftKings. Visit https://www.draftkings.com/
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/LA/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA(select parishes)/MI/NH/NJ/ NY/OR/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. New customer offer void in NH/OR/ONT-CA. $200 in Free bets: New customers only. Valid 1 per new customer. Min. $5 deposit. Min $5 wager. $200 issued as eight (8) $25 free bets. Ends 9/19/23 @ 8pm. Early Win: 1 Early Win Token issued per eligible game. Opt in req. Token expires at start of eligible game. Min moneyline bet $1. Wagering limits apply. Wagers placed on both sides of moneyline will void bet. Ends 1/5/24 @ 8pm ET. See terms at sportsbook.draftkings.com/footballterms
Impressions of Kenny Pickett’s performance 03:21
- The hosts discuss Kenny Pickett‘s performance in a recent game, highlighting his improvement.
“The hosts discuss Kenny Pickett‘s performance in a recent game, highlighting his improvement.”
Evaluating Will Levis‘ performance 03:32
- The hosts provide analysis on Will Levis‘ performance in a recent game, discussing his reactions to pressure and his physical attributes.
Impressions of Tennessee Titans‘ quarterback situation 06:27
- The hosts discuss the positive outlook they have on the Tennessee Titans‘ quarterback position with Will Levis.
Performance of players in the Thursday night football game 07:34
- The hosts provide a brief summary of the performances of players like Derek Henry, Jalen Warren, and Najee Harris in the Thursday night football game.
“The hosts provide a brief summary of the performances of players like Derek Henry, Jalen Warren, and Najee Harris in the Thursday night football game.”
Fantasy Football Matchups 08:51
- Chris Godwin scored his first touchdown after being shut out from the end zone for a generation.
- Deontay Johnson also scored and will likely be a good option going forward.
“Chris Godwin and then he scored. And now Deontay Johnson and he scores.”
Disappointing Performance by George Pickens 09:20
- George Pickens had negative receiving yards, which was unexpected and regrettable.
- Despite being targeted five times, he had a nonproductive game.
- There were a couple of missed opportunities that could have changed the outcome.
“I have a great deal of regret because we talked about this on the Wednesday breakdown that we would still take the chance with George Pickens.”
Target Share Percentage 10:20
- Target share percentage can be misleading for fantasy because even with a high percentage, nonproductive games can still happen.
- In this case, Deontay Johnson’s target share was over 20%, but it didn’t translate into a valuable performance.
“This is where though, like the whole target share percentage can be misleading for fantasy.”
George Pickens‘ Potential 11:49
- George Pickens‘ potential would be far more intriguing if he were the only option in the offense.
- Currently, with Deontay Johnson taking a significant share, Pickens’ value is diminished.
“If Pickens is just the only guy there, then he’s far more intriguing.”
Notes on Other Players in the Game 11:59
- Deandre Hopkins had a solid game with four receptions for 60 yards.
- There is optimism around Levis, and Hopkins leaving the game with a loss might motivate him to perform better.
“Four for 60 for Deandre Hopkins. Optimism around Levis moving forward.”
Injury Updates 13:04
- Deshaun Watson took first team reps and is likely to start on Sunday.
- Jerome Ford, the Browns’ running back, was limited in practice but will likely play.
- Drake London missed practice and might be in danger of missing the game.
- DK Metcalf didn’t practice due to a hip injury, while Tyler Lockett was limited.
“The Sean Watson took first team reps. Looks like he’s going to start Sunday.”
Updates on Other Players 13:36
- Amari DiMarcato didn’t practice again and won’t be playing in the game.
- AJ Dillon is a viable pivot option for fantasy managers.
- Curtis Samuel has been absent from practice and is not expected to play.
“Amari DiMarcato didn’t practice again on Thursday.”
Mention of Devin Singletary and Aaron Jones 15:23
- Devon Singletary is recommended as a potential option due to expected volume.
- Choosing between Devon Singletary and AJ Dillon, Singletary is the preferable choice.
- Aaron Jones has been limited in practice, while Curtis Samuel has not practiced.
“Would you rather play Devon Singletary or AJ Dillon? I would rather play Singletary.”
“News and notes from around the league presented by USAA Insurance.”
The End Zone Curse 16:56
- Even though this matchup doesn’t seem favorable, it’s hard to bench either of these guys.
- Last year, the passing against the Texans was bad for fantasy, but the defense wasn’t the reason.
- The Texans can be run on, so Rashad White is a decent play this week.
- Rashad White has been involved in the offense in the past few weeks, making him a good start.
“I think, you know, when you have somebody that catches the football, even if they’re underdogs, even if they’re projected point totals under 20, you get a pretty nice floor whereas Zeke’s floor is way lower.”
Rachaad White vs. Zeke 17:42
- When comparing Rashad White and Zeke, Rashad White is the preferable choice.
- Rashad White’s involvement in the passing game gives him a higher floor than Zeke.
“I would take Rashad White.”
- Rashad White is still the better choice over Devon Singletary.
- The matchup against Tampa Bay is difficult for running backs, whereas White has been involved in the passing game.
“I would take Rashad White.”
- CJ Stroud‘s recent performances have been underwhelming.
- Gardner Minshew has been throwing the ball a lot.
- Nico Collins could bounce back in this matchup against the Tampa defense.
- Tampa Bay has been decent against quarterbacks, so playing Stroud in a single quarterback league may not be ideal.
“Yeah. I think that Nico is definitely playable and can bounce back. The, the, bucks, they’re, they’re very strong against running backs and tight ends, uh, if you just for schedule, middle of the pack against quarterback.”
Colts vs. Panthers 19:53
- The Colts are favored in this matchup against the Panthers.
- It’s a revenge game for Frank Reich, and he has extra motivation to win.
- The game could have a faster pace, and the over/under is set at 44.
“Oh, this one’s legit revenge.”
Colts Offense and Defense 20:57
- The Colts offense plays fast and their defense is bad.
- They have been hitting the over and are a good target for fantasy football.
- The Colts defense has struggled against all positions.
“I love we’ve we’ve set it for weeks. It’s been working for weeks. You want to target Colts games.”
- Both Jonathan Taylor and Zach Moss should have good games in this matchup.
- Zach Moss is a strong start of the week due to his matchup against Carolina.
- The Panthers give up a high average carry, making it a great matchup for running backs.
“If we come out of this game and it’s another 50 50 split between Zach Moss and Jonathan Taylor. I mean, just, just lay down and let Zach Moss just walk all over me. You know, but this matchup is phenomenal for running backs. So both should have good games.”
- Both Michael Pittman and Josh Downs are viable options in this game.
- The Panthers defense has been good against the receiving game, but weak against the running game.
- In PPR leagues, Josh Downs has been heavily involved.
“I think they’re both in play. The Panthers defense has been very good.”
- Chuba Hubbard has been performing well in place of the injured Miles Sanders.
- The matchup favors running backs on both sides.
- Zach Moss has a great matchup against Carolina’s defense.
“I’m really excited for the running game of the Colts. Jonathan Taylor, Zach Moss. I think we’re going to learn a lot this week.”
Devonta Smith for Adam Thielen trade analysis 24:28
- There is a discussion about a potential trade involving Devonte Smith and Thielen.
- The trade is deemed to be an easy one that will likely get done.
- Thielen is considered a valuable player who can continue to perform well.
- The main concern is whether Thielen’s body can hold up to the demands of the game.
“That trade’s an easy … that trade gets done probably.”
Jonathan Mingo‘s performance 25:17
- Jonathan Mingo, a rookie, had a strong performance in the previous game.
- He played 99% of the snaps, had five targets, and caught four for 62 yards.
- Mingo is seen as a player to monitor for future games.
“Just someone to monitor.”
Analysis of the Raiders vs. Giants matchup 25:46
- The Raiders have undergone major changes in their coaching staff and quarterback position.
- Despite these changes, the locker room is reportedly happy.
- Aiden O’Connell, the Raiders’ new quarterback, targeted Josh Jacobs and Devonte Adams heavily in his first game.
- Both Jacobs and Adams are expected to benefit from this target share.
“Those two players, I think get a significant bump up from the last few weeks.”
Potential impact of Daniel Jones‘ return 28:13
- The return of Daniel Jones as the Giants’ quarterback is seen as a positive development.
- Wanda Robinson is mentioned as a potential player who could have a breakout game due to Jones’ presence.
- The Raiders’ defense is seen as tough against wide receivers and quarterbacks, which may affect the volume of targets for Robinson.
“We’ll see if they can protect Daniel Jones. I do. I think Wanda will catch six or more passes.”
Expectations for the Dallas vs. Philadelphia matchup 30:35
- The matchup between Dallas and Philadelphia is highly anticipated.
- Both Dak Prescott and Jalen Hurts are recommended as starting quarterbacks.
- Tony Pollard‘s performance has been subpar in recent weeks, with no touchdowns and low fantasy production.
- The game is expected to involve a significant amount of passing, which may benefit Pollard.
“Dak’s my start of the week. … You know, Deandre Swift, you’ve been playing him. You should.”
“Pollard has been not good … It’s been very bad. Oh man.”
Ground game challenge against tough defensive front 33:07
- Opposing defensive front presents challenges for the ground game.
- The matchup is not favorable for running backs.
- Dallas can still score points despite the tough matchup.
- Expect Tony Pollard to have opportunities if CD Lamb goes down.
- Touchdowns could bounce back to Pollard.
“Ground game is going to be tough against that defensive front.”
Optimism for Brandin Cooks and Devonta Smith 33:36
- Brandon Cooks has received four or more targets in the last couple of games.
- More optimism about Cooks this season.
- AJ Brown has been performing well.
- Devontae Smith should not be benched despite facing a good Cowboys defense.
“Brandon Cooks four plus targets last couple games. I’m more optimistic about him than I have been this season.” “AJ Brown has been absolutely a game record right now in Devontae Smith.” “Yeah, I would, I would agree with you. Anybody that you’re thinking about playing, I think the answer is yes.”
High expectations for Devontae Smith 34:10
- Devontae Smith had a good game last week.
- There is a possibility of him having a bad game against the Cowboys defense.
- However, he should not be benched.
“I could see Devontae Smith having a bad game against a really good Cowboys defense, but you’re not benching them.” “Seven for 99 and a touchdown last week.”
Excitement for Sunday Night Football 34:42
- Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals matchup is promising.
- The Bengals have been performing well lately with a healthy Joe Burrow.
- Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, and Jamar Chase are all expected to have a good game.
- T. Higgins is set up for a bounce-back game.
“Sunday night football game, Buffalo. Calm down, man. This game. This game is special.” “The Bengals have just looked really good lately with a healthy Joe Burrow and I’m in on that.” “Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, Jamar Chase, let’s go. T. Higgins set up for success bounce back last week.”
Gabe Davis and Dalton Kincaid are recommended starts 38:27
- Gabe Davis had a strong performance last week with 12 targets.
- He should be played in a high over-under matchup.
- Dalton Kikade is a solid start at tight end.
- The Cincinnati Bengals defense is vulnerable against tight ends.
“I mean, you’ve got a high over-under. You think that this is a Sunday night football game for a chance at a shootout.” “Dalton Kikade was on the field. Should be great.”
Uncertainty around James Cook‘s involvement 37:16
- James Cook is still a good play.
- It is uncertain if Leonard Fournette will be involved in passing situations.
- James Cook thrives in passing situations.
- If Fournette’s involvement increases, it could impact Cook’s target share.
“You play James Cook. Um, and then you just, you hope that it stays, you know, a heavy, heavy usage.” “James Cook excels in it, but it’s like, thank you. Get those dump-offs. But James, like, that’s not a guaranteed week-to-week target share for James Cook.”
Pittsburgh Steelers‘ surprising record 40:01
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have a 5-3 record.
- The team has a negative point differential.
- Mike Tomlin is renowned for winning with different quarterbacks.
“They are five and three. Yeah. Cause they would have dropped to 500, but five and three is good enough to be tied with the 49ers.” “Mike Tomlin, is he the best coach in football? Cause we’ve seen Mike Tomlin’s winning with the Turbisks and the backups.”
Monday Night Football: Chargers vs Jets 00:41
- Chargers are favored by 3.5 points according to the DK sports book.
- Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert has had an inconsistent year but is on pace to throw for 4,600 yards and 31 touchdowns.
- Wide receiver Quentin Johnston has shown promise but needs to improve in route development.
- Joshua Palmer may still play despite not practicing, but it’s not recommended to start him.
- The Jets have been effective at shutting down opposing wide receivers.
- Breece Hall, the Chargers’ running back, has a good matchup against the Jets, who struggle against running backs.
- Wide receiver Garrett Wilson should be started as the Chargers’ pass defense has been weak and he has been targeted heavily.
“Quentin Johnston needs to improve in route development.”
“The Jets have shut down opposing wide receivers.”
“Garrett Wilson should be started against the weak Chargers pass defense.”
Jets Defense and Starting Quarterback 00:45
- The over-under for the Chargers-Jets game is the lowest in the Justin Herbert era.
- Coach Jonathan Gannon has not officially named the starting quarterback for the Browns game.
- Chuba Hubbard is expected to start for the Panthers.
- Damien Pierce is not expected to play in Week 9.
- Deshaun Watson is not listed as injured and just needed rest.
“The over-under for the Chargers-Jets game is the lowest in the Justin Herbert era.”
“Coach Jonathan Gannon has not officially named the starting quarterback.”
“Chuba Hubbard is expected to start for the Panthers.”
Wheel of Shame 00:55
- Jason Moore ends up finishing last in the Fantasy Face-Off.
- Jason is dressed up as Ricky Bobby, from the movie “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.”
- Mike and Andy tease Jason about his red shirt.
“Jason Moore dresses up as Ricky Bobby for finishing last in the Fantasy Face-Off.”
“Mike and Andy tease Jason about his red shirt.”
- Alvin Cam priced at8100. Saquonley priced at 7900- Alvin Camara a must-play due to his PPR factor.
You can’t not play Alvin Camara with the PPR factor.”
Newly Announced Starting Running Back 49:35
- Chuba Hubbard of the Carolina Panthers is the start of the week.
- He is priced at 5000 and plays against the Indianapolis Colts.
Wide Receivers 49:54
- CD Lamb is priced at 8200 and Brandon Cooks at 4400.
- Jameson Crowder is a sneaky pick at 3400.
- Pop Douglas is priced at 4000.
- Christian Olave is priced at 6300.
“I’m going CD Lamb at 8200 and Brandon Cooks at 4400.” “I’m sliding the sneaky Jameson Crowder into the lineup at 3400.” “I’ve got Pop Douglas at 4000.” “I have Christian Olave at 6300.”
Tight Ends 50:51
- Trey McBride priced at 3700 is the selected tight end.
- Luke Musgrave priced at 3300 is another option due to the Rams’ weak defense against the tight end position.
- Logan Thomas is priced at 3500.
Flex and Defense 51:05
- Saquon Barkley priced at 7900 is the selected flex player.
- Giants defense priced at 2300 is the chosen defense.
“My flex is Saquon Barkley at 7900.” “The Giants defense at 2300.”
Common Picks 52:43
- Among the three hosts, there are common picks such as Dak Prescott, Alvin Camara, CD Lamb, Jameson Crowder, Saquon Barkley, and the Giants defense.
- They all have similar lineups, making it a tight week.
“This is a weird week because we have a ton across. So we’re like, I believe Jason, you and I have Dak, Camara, Lamb, Crowder, and Saquon and the Giants.” “Among the three hosts, there are common picks such as Dak, Camara, Lamb, Crowder, Saquon and the Giants. It’s going to be tight.”
“What do you think about that?”